Scanning other drives

• 24 September 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Everyone,
I thought I had posted a message, but cannot find it, so apologies if I have doubled up.
I have a MacBook Pro with OSX 11.6.  I use Time Machine to back up to a Time Capsule plus a second external harddrive attached to the TC, so alternate backups shared between the TC and external drive.  
Does SecureAnywhere scan MBP + TC + external drive?  
Is it possible to exclude TC + external drive from scan?
Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
Regards,
Graham 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Graham :D

Welcome to the Webroot Community!

If you're doing a quick scan WSA checks primarily an active and running processes and applications in search of unknown, never seen before threats and suspicious behavior, which gives an ability not only to monitor their activity but aslo lock threats and make the remediation of potentialy damage they've made. It simply shows the powerful protection which WSA offers to the user :D
In WSA settings you can always add exeptions, selecting "PC Security" -> "Block/Allow Files" adding an app and checking "Allow", however such decisions should only concern apps and processes you are absolutely sure they are trusted and safe.

Please feel free to ask if you have any urther questions.

Best regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Hello GrahamWollombi, Welcome to the Webroot Forum. :D

If I may just add to what Mike has posted. WSA scans all iMac's. By default of installation of WSA the "Scan Mounted Drives" is turned off (untic). To get to that setting: Open WSA GUI > Advanced Settings > Scan Settings. Word of WARNING: if you tic "Scan Mounted Drives" and you are running Time Machine as I am, prepare for a very long scan. Some have reported scans running over 12 hours. I keep it disabled. Here is some good information on running WSA on iMac.

?

Thank you,
Dave. 😉
Userlevel 1
Hi Miquell,

Thanks for your prompt response.

My initial enquiry was to see if, when I conducted a scan, it did not include my 2Tb Time Capsule and attached 4Tb external drive which are both used for Time Machine backups.

However following your comments, I looked in "Mac Security"->"Block/Allow Files" where there are about 155 entries, none of which I have knowingly placed there.  The first entry is "/Volumes/LaCie/Backups.backupdb/Macbrook Pro...ssistant.app/Contents/Resources/mbicloudsetup" which is marked as "Allow".  There are another 3 marked "Allow" and all the rest are marked "Block".  

Many of those blocked begin as "/Library/Application Support/Conduit/Plugins/....." 

I looked in "Mac User Guide Overview" and "Running Scans" and it gives some information, I wondered if there was any additional information available that might give me a better undestanding of all these entries and whether I could delete a lot of them.

Any further thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Graham
Userlevel 1
Hi ProTruckdriver, or is it Dave? ;)

Thanks also for your contribution to my query.

I have checked my Advanced Settings and adopted the tick marks, etc as shown in your screen shot.

I did do a scan with "Scan mounted drives" ticked and with Time Machine running and while I didn't record the time taken I think it was far greater than 12 hours as there is about 500 Gb on the C drive. :@  I won't do that again.

I looked at your link to WSA on iMac and read the explanation re "Scan mounted drives".  

I am using a MacBook Pro rather than an iMac, so am I correct in my understanding that if "Scan mounted drives" is left unticked it means that WSA will only scan the C drive in my laptop, but if I ticked "Scan mounted drives" the scan would include the C drive, my 2Tb Time Capsule and attached 4Tb external drive plus any other external drives that I might have connected to the laptop at the time.?

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

Regards,

Graham

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I am using a MacBook Pro rather than an iMac, so am I correct in my understanding that if "Scan mounted drives" is left unticked it means that WSA will only scan the C drive in my laptop, but if I ticked "Scan mounted drives" the scan would include the C drive, my 2Tb Time Capsule and attached 4Tb external drive plus any other external drives that I might have connected to the laptop at the time.?

That is correct Graham. ;)

Dave.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Miquell,

Thanks for your prompt response.

My initial enquiry was to see if, when I conducted a scan, it did not include my 2Tb Time Capsule and attached 4Tb external drive which are both used for Time Machine backups.

However following your comments, I looked in "Mac Security"->"Block/Allow Files" where there are about 155 entries, none of which I have knowingly placed there.  The first entry is "/Volumes/LaCie/Backups.backupdb/Macbrook Pro...ssistant.app/Contents/Resources/mbicloudsetup" which is marked as "Allow".  There are another 3 marked "Allow" and all the rest are marked "Block".  

Many of those blocked begin as "/Library/Application Support/Conduit/Plugins/....." 

I looked in "Mac User Guide Overview" and "Running Scans" and it gives some information, I wondered if there was any additional information available that might give me a better undestanding of all these entries and whether I could delete a lot of them.

Any further thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Graham
Graham I believe I will ping @  Gold VIP in on this thread, She is the Master Mac Guru here on the Forum. We don't want you deleting things that are not to be deleted. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello GrahamWollombi,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Good question...

To be honest I have not ever deleted any of such files from my Mac. I usually let Webroot block such files. These files here "/Library/Application Support/Conduit/Plugins/....." are PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) 
This adware threat is manifested on a compromised computer as a community toolbar which makes unauthorized changes to the web browsers running on the respective Mac OS system, namely Safari, Chrome or Firefox.

Have you looked here at the Mac User Guide and Here

To be on the safe side I would Submit a Support Ticket and ask them about deleting these blocked files. 

This is of course a free service with your Webroot susbscription. They are the Support professionals that can better advise and will gladly assist you further.

I hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Thank you Sherry. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Anytime ProTruckDriver!

I appreciated the ping..;)