Question

Secure Anywhere not functioning after a re-install

  • 20 August 2020
  • 5 replies
  • 118 views

Hello,

I removed Webroot Secure Anywhere from my Desktop PC as recommended by Microsoft when trying to update Win 10 (which failed yet again!)  I have just reinstalled Webroot but have run into problems.  It now says that my subscription has expired but that is incorrect as it was renewed on June 7th this year and the website console confirms that with 429 days remaining.  Under the Scan and Shields tab, I an unable to turn on any of the features presumably because of the claimed expiry.  It won’t scan either.  I have contacted  Customer Support but have not received a response in the 24 hours since contacting them.  Is there an issue with their support?

Geoff in NZ

 


5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @KiwiGeoff 

 

Your best bet is to perform an uninstall and re-install making sure  you have your keycode handy. This time around you should go back and ensure that you can view hidden folders. 

From there, under ProgramData, remove any Webroot folder as well as WRData and WRCore. Then check both the ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles (x86) folders for any Webroot folders and delete those. Reboot and try your install with your keycode. If your console shows your old install from the same machine, see if there’s a way to “deactivate” or remove that entry. If there is, do that as well. Then try your install again. 

If these don’t work, reach out to support and they can direct you further. 

 

Best of Luck

Cheers

John H

Userlevel 7

Hello @KiwiGeoff

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue, also it could take 24 to 48 hours and at times a bit longer because of COVID 19.

 

Thanks,

Hi @KiwiGeoff 

 

Your best bet is to perform an uninstall and re-install making sure  you have your keycode handy. This time around you should go back and ensure that you can view hidden folders. 

From there, under ProgramData, remove any Webroot folder as well as WRData and WRCore. Then check both the ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles (x86) folders for any Webroot folders and delete those. Reboot and try your install with your keycode. If your console shows your old install from the same machine, see if there’s a way to “deactivate” or remove that entry. If there is, do that as well. Then try your install again. 

If these don’t work, reach out to support and they can direct you further. 

 

Best of Luck

Cheers

John H

Many thanks John!  I removed most of the hidden folders but although I’m the sole administrator on my PC,  under Program Files>Webroot>Core, there are several files that say “You need permission from SYSTEM” and I can’t go any further.

Userlevel 2

Hi @KiwiGeoff 

 

 

Many thanks John!  I removed most of the hidden folders but although I’m the sole administrator on my PC,  under Program Files>Webroot>Core, there are several files that say “You need permission from SYSTEM” and I can’t go any further.

Try taking ownership of the file/folder. Or...you could try in Safe Mode.

...Ghia...

Hi again John and Ghia - you guys are just the best!  I managed to remove all the old files and folders by going into Safe Mode, reinstalled and everything is working perfectly!  It took 2 goes but that’s most likely due to the fact that my IT knowledge is pretty average.  Just goes to show what can be achieved with a bit of a prod in the right direction.  Every day is a school day! :grinning:

Again, thanks so much!

Geoff

Reply