SecureAnywhere problem during Win 10 version 1809 upgrade

• 4 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
For information only, I posted the following discussion tonight (1/3/19) on a Microsoft forum (Windows 10 1809 update "Undoing changes").

Link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1809-update-undoing-changes/def7560f-2a8d-4a70-8ed4-d0a2dd0f613d?page=2&rtAction=1546573475664&tm=1546573942302
_______
Several times during the last few weeks the update of my Samsung ATIV Book8 880Z5E laptop (purchased 2014) ended in the Windows 10 1809 update "Undoing changes" and reverted to version 1803.  The updates in some cases lasted almost seven hours.

Samsung ATIV Book8 specifications:
Processor:                         Intel Core i7-3635QM CPU @ 2.40 Ghz
System type:                     64-bit
Installed RAM:                  8 GB
Hard drive:                        1 TB mechanical drive
Display adapter (2):           AMD Radeon HD8700M series
                                           Intel HD Graphics 4000
Display type:                      Touchscreen
Operating system:              Windows 10 Home

I tried and repeated many of the following steps with no success:
Automatic update
Update via the Windows Update Assistant
Manual update: Downloaded and ran the standalone executable
Ran the Win 10 Update Troubleshooter
Renamed the Windows Update Folder
Ran the DISM & SFC tools

It was not until I saw the post here by GaneshNag that I could solve the issue.  Updating with the “Upgrade this PC now” selection of the Windows MediaCreationTool provided me with the necessary error information.  The generated error was:

Error: 0x8007042B-0x4000D
The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

Based upon information in other forum discussions (e.g., Windows 10 Anniversary Update Error Code 0x8007042B-0x4000D) my first try was to uninstall my Webroot SecureAnywhere antivirus software (Windows Defender disabled).  That solved the problem.  I then used the Windows Update Assistant to install the 1809 version.  After about 90 minutes of downloading and getting the updates ready, the installation took only 50 minutes of additional time.  What a relief!

Additional note:  My desktop computer, also using SecureAnywhere, did not encounter this error and was updated with no problem; however, it does use Windows 10 Pro rather than the Windows 10 Home edition on my laptop.

Desktop specifications (2016 build):
Processor:               Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz
System type:           64-bit
Mother board:         Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING
Installed Ram:         Corsair 2x16GB (32GB) DDR4 SDRAM
Hard drives (2):       NVME 500GB Samsung 950
                                2TB WD mechanical
Display adapter:      EVGA GeForce 970

I greatly appreciate the help that GaneshNag, this and other forums have provided.

5 replies

Badge +3
I also had and still do have an issue with the 1809 win10 update. Since installing it I can no longer run File History backup to my WD easystore external hard drive. My Lenovo PC and easystore were brand new in November, so it seems strange to me. I get the error code 0x8007000E and have yet to find out how to fix it.
Any ideas??
Badge +1
We are finding the same issue with many many Windows 10 Pro laptops in our company.

(Some do update perfectly, but all not by a long shot)

Update to 1809 fails at 75 or 77%.

Upon forcing the power off, reverting the updates progress, removing Webroot and then reapplying the update, it completes every time.

Webroot has a serious issue, that needs fixing ASAP, causing big headaches.
Badge +3
The update did not fail, it completed and it was some days before I tried to run the backup. So I am not sure if I have the same problem.
Badge +1
I didn't have to uninstall Webroot to get the 1809 Update to run successfully. I did have to disable all Shields and Firewall as well as Rootkit and Master Boot Record scanning (Advanced Settings/Scan Settings) I also disable Windows Defender.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I had three different computers that all failed to update to 1809 (running 21.18 and 24.37 endpoints). The only way I could get the update to install was to uninstall the webroot endpoint.