Solved

SharewareOnSale.com currently has a FREE one year license of WebRoot SecureAnywhere

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Quick question, SharewareOnSale.com currently has a FREE one year license of WebRoot SecureAnywhere and I installed it and all is great. My question is, Is this legal? I have other software from this site and never had problem but I hate to get all excited and find out this is illegal and I need to remove it.

Please me know know.
Thanks

~snip Removed link to Unauthorized Giveaway snip~
icon

Best answer by nic 13 April 2015, 20:07

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello

This is a scam

It's Legit to HSBCnet Customers
As a valued HSBCnet corporate and commercial customer, you are entitled to use Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus without charge to you.
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/partners/technology-partners/hsbcnet

Userlevel 7
Hi bsodcsi

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Personally, I would be very careful of any offer of WSA for FREE, and would suggest that you check out very carefully if there are any catches to such an offer, as I have never heard of WSA being offered as such legitimately.

Having said that...if it is free then you have nothing to lose other than perhaps finding out at a later stage that the offier is not what it is cracked up to be/you not being entitled to free support, etc.

Would be interested to know what our Community Manager, the most excellent @ can find out about this.

But in the interim my humble advice is...proceed with care if so minded.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have pinged Webroot Staff to look into this and I will let you know, for now it's an Unauthorized Giveaway IMO.

Daniel
Thanks for the reply. I do have one issue with what you mentioned. You are refering to HSBCnet Customers and the offer that is available to them. I have checked throughly the site Sharewareonsale for any relationship between what they offer and this offer and find nothing. How do you come to this conclusion? Not that I am doubting you but more interested in where you found and came to this determination.
I will await final verification before I uninstall because I just have my doubts ether way.
Thanks for everyones input so far and I hope we can get this finally resolved soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I do have one issue with what you mentioned. You are refering to HSBCnet Customers and the offer that is available to them. I have checked throughly the site Sharewareonsale for any relationship between what they offer and this offer and find nothing. How do you come to this conclusion? Not that I am doubting you but more interested in where you found and came to this determination.
This installer - only HSBCnet Customers

again)
This is a scam 

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
I will await final verification before I uninstall because I just have my doubts ether way.
Thanks for everyones input so far and I hope we can get this finally resolved soon.

Thank you for basically repeating what you posted before. I understand the EXE and where it goes. However I am still going to wait for the office Webroot response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I got a Reply and so far it does look like a Unauthorized Giveaway and since it's the weekend someone will look after this tomorrow and don't be surprised if it stops working.

Thanks,

Daniel
Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing what corp says tomorrow. I have restored my image I created early this morning so I no longer have it installed, but I still have the exe so if it turns out to be good I can always reinstall tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm reaching out to folks internally to get this resolved.  I'll let you know when I have more info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So it looks like this is an old keycode that we had previously disabled, for the HSBC deal (due to it being abused by other places online).  Somehow it got re-enabled again, so we're going to get it permanently disabled so that it won't work from here on out.  Thanks for letting us know about it!
Thanks so much for the update. And you are very welcome. I reported this because somewhere in my gut was telling me this was something that was illegal. I hope this doesn't hurt the people with HSBC Accounts too much hate and discontent. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You're instincts were correct!  Hope you stick around on the community with us!
I may just do that. I personally have over 25 years as a network Administrator so this small little brain is crammed with superfuous information I can share.
Just don't ask me about Mac, Yucky poo.
:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Cool - I worked as a sysadmin before I got into community management, and we love having technical folks around here.  Are you still working in the field?
Yup, I am currently the Contractor Network Manager of NMCI (Navy Marine Corpp Intranet). So as the quote from "A League of their Own" Stated:
Radio Sportscaster: Take me home momma and put me to bed. I have seen enough to know I have seen too much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh cool, that sounds like a fun gig.  We do have business version of Webroot, so hopefully you'll check us out next time your AV is up for renewal, if you end up liking the home version.  The business product works similarly to the consumer version, but with a more fully featured console for reporting and profile management.  You can see what that looks like here: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/resources/#virtualTour
I appreciate the offer, However we (Department of Defense) currently have an enterprise license for all of Symantec products so I doubt we will be shifting anytime soon, besides those decisions are made by someone in procurrement in the pentagon.
In other words, WAY BEYOND MY PAYGRADE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I figured that might be the case - oh well, at least I tried 🙂
Personally I don't care for Norton, I find it way to heavy and almost impossible to remove, Although the remote administration is helpfull. I think the reason they went with Symantec is several, First is the amazing array of products available through the license. I mean Ghost and PCAnywhere are invaluable to us. And then throw in the 50 different flavors of Norton, for almost any OS you can dream of and the choice is rather simple.
I mean believe it or not we still have Sun Systems running in remote locations because of old software not running on other platforms. Remember we are talking Gov here. But in reality, if it isn't broke, then don't fix it applies well in this case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Posted at Wilders now. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/webroot-secureanywhere-discussion-update-thread.364655/page-52#post-2481267

Daniel