Solved

shrunken internet explorer screen

• 29 August 2014
  • 5 replies

Have a reocurring trojan malware virus that Geek Squad has tried now 3 times to remvoe andnwo i have a shrunken explorere screen. By shrunken I mean that it shrinks the screen down to 50% of size so it's difficult to read a web page. I followed Microsoft directions to "RESET" on the Advanced tab and it has seemed to work. I have a feeling it's related to this malicious virus.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 29 August 2014, 03:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

To make sure you are Malware free please Submit a Support Ticket and don't try anything else to fix it as it's best for Webroot support to fix it for themselves and free of charge.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Have a reocurring trojan malware virus that Geek Squad has tried now 3 times to remvoe andnwo i have a shrunken explorere screen. By shrunken I mean that it shrinks the screen down to 50% of size so it's difficult to read a web page. I followed Microsoft directions to "RESET" on the Advanced tab and it has seemed to work. I have a feeling it's related to this malicious virus.
Welcome Frustrated!
To the Community Forum! I am sorry you are having these issues. Have you done a scan of Webroot on your system? Do you have a Bestbuy version of Webroot? Or did you purchase from Webroot online?

Thank you,

Have made 4 trips ow to Geek Squad at Best Buy (the ones who recommended I change from Kaspersky to Web root after I got this virus). Virus keeps returning. SOmetimes after a few weeks, sometiems after a few minutes of removal. The symptoms of the virus are that it pops up only in an INternet Explorer session on the simplest common used web sites. Basicaly the pop up is a web page with a suspicous URL that states "you need to upgrade your Windows operating system "click here' " with official Windows and Microsoft logo. Another says "you need to update your Media Player "Click here"" with siilar official logos. Of couse I have never clicked on it, because it want to launch an .exe file. 

Geek Squad is saying they've never seen a virus this difficult to remove but that next step is to 'wipe' my PC and have me take it in and reinstall operatng system. Of course I have to back everytyhing  up first and there is a possibilty in doing so I could infect my back up drive.

I am so unbelievable frustrated. Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Have made 4 trips ow to Geek Squad at Best Buy (the ones who recommended I change from Kaspersky to Web root after I got this virus). Virus keeps returning. SOmetimes after a few weeks, sometiems after a few minutes of removal. The symptoms of the virus are that it pops up only in an INternet Explorer session on the simplest common used web sites. Basicaly the pop up is a web page with a suspicous URL that states "you need to upgrade your Windows operating system "click here' " with official Windows and Microsoft logo. Another says "you need to update your Media Player "Click here"" with siilar official logos. Of couse I have never clicked on it, because it want to launch an .exe file. 

Geek Squad is saying they've never seen a virus this difficult to remove but that next step is to 'wipe' my PC and have me take it in and reinstall operatng system. Of course I have to back everytyhing  up first and there is a possibilty in doing so I could infect my back up drive.

Hi Frustrated!
Do as TripleHelix has suggested and issue a Support Ticket and hope this works out for you.

Please get back to us if you get this resolved because we'd be interested in the outcome!

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Also you should only get Adobe Reader from Adobe and during install make sure to uncheck any unwanted add-ons PUA's. http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/11/11.0.08.html and please contact support.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉