Since performing 'Clean Up', PC not functioning properly.

• 24 November 2013
  • 16 replies

can any body suggest anything on which way is the best way to get rid of the viruses when alerted i remove them but we keep getting the same alerts for them

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi burakch - Please let our threat team take a look so that they can ensure Webroot is functioning properly on your systems. 

Contact the Threat Team
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi did you try restoration using a point that existed before the infection ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ 
Generally restore points should be a last resort - if Webroot can't figure it out then yeah it's probably a good idea.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
IMO the simplest way, if it's correctly configured he should have minor data loss.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I don't even have system restore running as I find it a waste of SSD space and using WSA and using the thing between your ears (brain) and being a safe surfer & safe installer (Crapwareless). 😉 Really anyone that owns a PC should get 2 hours training on how to use your PC securely again the thing between your ears. 😃 Also I'm not saying to others not to use System Restore it is a great tool I find no need for it.

Daniel

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
@ 
Hi !
I'm not trolling, just need to say that if the users were just conscious of what they do and of the consequences of what they do, a lot of people in the PC repair shops, devs etc. would be jobless 😉 in the specific field of antivirus software, the so called "interface between chair and keyboard" think the AV will do eveything for them and blame it when things are beyond repair... this precisely is the reason why I do think system restore is often the last hope.
As a moderator/admin on a french Windows help forum I often start to get things straight by simply asking people to use it.
Userlevel 7
While I think system restore can be useful (i have it disabled on my own PC) I think its too easy to fall back on it and not diagnose the actual issue which is something I see these days. Not saying thats what you do btw! :D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
While I think system restore can be useful (i have it disabled on my own PC) I think its too easy to fall back on it and not diagnose the actual issue which is something I see these days. Not saying thats what you do btw! :D
I am with Roy on this one.  I see too many people use it as almost the first tool when something goes wrong, only to find that since they didn't fix things the hard way and thus learn about what really happened they end up repeating the issue over and over and over.  Which leads to using System Restore on a seemingly weekly basis, which eventually still ends up with a computer that is beyond repair and time for Format C.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
System Restore is an amazing ability that often helps fix problems.

However, down the line it makes your system state inconsistent and can lead to even more weird problems later on. We have an informal policy about never using it unless it's a last resort in a situation where the system can't be reinstalled immediately.

Of course, the people speaking here are colored by doing many system restores over many years and seeing the long-term impact they have. This is simply a caution, not to deride how much help it can be.

We leave System Restore on because at least in XP it was linked to some minimally documented automatic repair ability. I've never been able to figure out what it was called or how it worked, but the system did look in the System Restore cache for stuff. No, I'm not mistaking it for stuff like SFC cache. We still have it on but since we still us HDDs space is never an issue for us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ 
Hi !
I'm not trolling, just need to say that if the users were just conscious of what they do and of the consequences of what they do, a lot of people in the PC repair shops, devs etc. would be jobless 😉 in the specific field of antivirus software, the so called "interface between chair and keyboard" think the AV will do eveything for them and blame it when things are beyond repair... this precisely is the reason why I do think system restore is often the last hope.
As a moderator/admin on a french Windows help forum I often start to get things straight by simply asking people to use it.
 @ Hope this was for me? I never thought of you as a Troll at anytime! The @@ does work as you put @ daniel above which points to another Daniel. https://community.webroot.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4224#.UpUa0uLZG_o

Cheers,

TripleHelix (Daniel) 😉
Userlevel 7
Even though it is the errors of others that pay our paychecks (Yes... mine is paid essentially the same way as yours @ ), I believe that it is still my job to educate as many as I can so that they no longer need my services.  There is always a new supply of computer owners who will run into the same problems for the first time that will come to us for help 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I do agree with you David !
I can state everyday on "my" forum that people seem to have jumped eagerly into the same old traps and post without even having read what others have posted and how their problem has been solved...
but it may only be a french syndrome :D
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
yes you're right, sorry for the mistyping, it was for you TripleHelix (Daniel) ;)
cheers
this title is wrong idk how it got there all i mean is when a pc has a virus and you use the portol to clean it up it doesnt remove them or clean them up i remove them and it keeps alerting me that there still there whats the best way to clean up the virus on pcs
my pc's are functioning fine i just need a better way to clean the viruses up
Userlevel 7
Hi burakch

If that is the case then you may need the help of Support to completely clean up what has apparently got onto your PC (Webroot advise that WSA cannot automatically clean up ALL malware, etc....which is very honest of them when compared to some vedors that state their solution is the universal panacea in this area...;))

Please log a Support Ticket (you can do so by clicking on the 'Get Customer Support' button under the 'Support/Community' tab on the main GUI.  From the web page opened click on Open a Support Ticket (or on this link ;)) on the right hand side of the page under 'Product Support') and they should be able to help you out.

HTH?

Regards, Baldrick