Solved

Slow update roll out!

Userlevel 7
I'm still waiting for the update. Always in the last stand of the roll out because I'm at the other end of the world. When is Webroot gonna make the roll out of updates at close times if not equal times to all the parts of the world? This is the only thing I dislike about WSA. I also get replies to my support ticket after 12 hrs due to timezone differences.
icon

Best answer by TonyW 4 October 2013, 20:14

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Rollouts are probably based on keycode rather then geographical location. So they are no picking on other geographical locations. Just be patient, it will come.
Userlevel 7
The rollout pattern is quite typical of several AV's that I know of.  It can take around 3 days, sometimes 5, for everyone to obtain a new update.  It seems like such a long wait, I agree and understand, but it will be there quite soon indeed!

:)
Userlevel 4
Symantec as well as several other well known AV companies roll out the same exact way. It might take a week or more for some of them.

You can always just do a re-install and poof! You'll have the new version. Wouldn't take more than five minutes.
Userlevel 7
Just to note that you will be still getting the most modern threat information from our database regardless if you are on the older build! 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Rollouts are probably based on keycode rather then geographical location.
What do you mean it's based on keycodes? What's wrong with my keycode that I would always get the updates so late? Am I using a cracked license?
Userlevel 7
@ and @
Yes several other AV companies roll out exactly the same way. Then again when Webroot is rolling out the best product and providing the best support I think it's not wrong to ask for quicker roll out than the others.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

You can always just do a re-install and poof! You'll have the new version. Wouldn't take more than five minutes.
Yes I've always been doing that. Then again what'd be left of one of the special and awesome features of WSA - silent, fast, smooth and automatic update? Nothing fast about the updates I tell you.
Userlevel 7
@PIInfinity wrote:
@ wrote:

Yes I've always been doing that. Then again what'd be left of one of the special and awesome features of WSA - silent, fast, smooth and automatic update? Nothing fast about the updates I tell you.
The updates themselves occur in less than two seconds once you receive them, so they are pretty fast in that respect.

The fact is that with million and millions of Webroot users, having all of them download a single file at once would necessarily cause some server issues.  It is not possible to update every computer simultaneously.

If you want to receive the update ASAP, you can always uninstall and reinstall.
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
If you want to receive the update ASAP, you can always uninstall and reinstall.
The irony in that is if everyone followed that suggestion, there would still be congestion as the servers would be pummelled with everyone downloading at same time! So we'd not be better off that way either. 😉 Ha.

But, of course, I realise we're not all going to do that at the same time, which brings us back to the methodology of automatic updating Webroot has chosen that is similar in thinking.

I hope PIInfinity understands better now. 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ and @
Okay understood. Thank you for explaining.:)
Userlevel 7
WSA just automatically updated. At least it didn't take 4 to 5 days like before. Updated in less than 2 days after announcement. 🙂