Solved

snap.do on Chrome - need it removed

I've ended up with share.do on my Chrome browser. I've been unable to uninstall. I thought Webroot might take care of it so I ran a scan, but that didn't help. Any ideas?
Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Dermot7 16 March 2014, 02:13

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JeenaM

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_hi.gif

Have to say that I have never heard of share.do...but Do Share on Chrome, that I have heard about as it is a Chrome browser extension.  Is it really the former that you have, rather than the latter?

Regards

Baldrick
Sorry, it's Snap.do. Anytime I open a new window it automatically changes to search.snapdo.com.

Thanks for your reply.
😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Sorry, it's Snap.do. Anytime I open a new window it automatically changes to search.snapdo.com.

Thanks for your reply.
:D
Thought it might be...just cleaned a machine yesterday with this, and had to use 3 tools which I don't think I can say here. Best to contact support who'll easily clean it for you: the official Webroot support system
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello JennaM and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

It's a PUA can you try removing it yourself just follow the instructions here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744 and let us know if that fixes it for you if not Submit a Support Ticket as Dermot Suggested.

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also a suggestion from one of Webroot's finest Threat Researchers DanP:

"One thing we have found that can help in removing files is unchecking and re-checking the Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications option:

Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
Click on the Save button
Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected."

TH
Gotcha!
Ok, that didn't work. Unchecking and checking. I'll go to your previous post and follow those instructions. If not, support, here I come. Thanks!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the update please let us know how it goes in the end as I'm going offline at this time!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi JennaM

I am back! :D

Apologies for abandoning you at the start of the process...:(...unfortunately I live in the UK and whilst I would have loved to stay to finish/help...I just had to get to bed...given the time over here.

But I am glad to see that the Team picked up the issue (you can always count on the excellent members here to jump into help) for you and have gotten you to the right point now.

As Daniel stated, please do let us know how the situation is resolved for you once you have heard back from Support...such feedback is of great help to users in the future should they have the same or a similar issue.

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
I submitted a Support Ticket. I started going through the steps suggested, however, I can't find the program to uninstall. 😞 Hoping to hear back from support soon.

Thanks!
Jenna
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
I started going through the steps suggested, however, I can't find the program to uninstall. 

Hello JennaM. Yes that's the problem with these things. They hide themselves, so can't be uninstalled in the usual ways. Sometimes they also install other 'Scareware'...'System Speed-Up' etc. which are fake programs trying to fool you into paying money to them,
Don't worry, it shouldn't have done any harm...they're just 'stubborn' to find, and get rid of normally.

How would it have gotten here anyway? Don't those things need to piggy back on something else I'm installing? This thing showed up on Friday and I can not remember installing or downloading anything on Friday. I'm the only one that uses this laptop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
How would it have gotten here anyway? Don't those things need to piggy back on something else I'm installing? This thing showed up on Friday and I can not remember installing or downloading anything on Friday. I'm the only one that uses this laptop.

There are different means of infection. What you say is, broadly correct. The one I saw 2 days ago was claimed to have appeared after installing something to stream the Superbowl game.

Usually, one will have seen a User Account Control prompt (if enabled), and allowed something to run...Social Engineering.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 Hi JennaM, Welcome to the Community....I hope you can get your questions answed here. This is the place to be for sure.

Wiould like to help but I've never had this issue before so hopefully the forum can help. 

Thank you, thank you for all the advise an assitance. It's awesome when a "community" works!! :) 

I'm waiting to hear back from support on this. With this community experience, I'm very glad I chose Webroot!

p.s. How do I get rid of that car by my name and when do I give people Kudos??
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
JennaM wrote: p.s. How do I get rid of that car by my name and when do I give people Kudos??
Hi JennaM
How to change avatar:

Kudos

Userlevel 7
Hi JennaM

Thanks for the feedback, and glad that you are enjoying your Community experience. :D

To give kudos to a post you just click on the kudos button in the bottom right hand corner or the post that yo believe merits such an accolade...one kudo per post is allowed.

In terms of the 'car' as a New Voice you only have the option to use the graphic shown, you can chose others from one of the other standard ones at the next level.  Click on My Settings (top right hand side of the page) and then on the Avatars tab amongst those displayed on the new page, when that is an option. 

Customisation of Avatars as well as other privileges are granted as one rises in level within the Community (you can check this out by click on the VIP Program link on the Community Home Page...for more information).

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you, thank you for all the advise an assitance. It's awesome when a "community" works!! :) 

I'm waiting to hear back from support on this. With this community experience, I'm very glad I chose Webroot!

p.s. How do I get rid of that car by my name and when do I give people Kudos??
You can change your Avatar when you Reach Frequent Voice https://community.webroot.com/t5/Community-Announcements/New-VIP-Rewards/td-p/32094 and Kudos here.

HTH,

Daniel

It's GONE!!! Support told me to look at install dates and remove anything I didn't think I installed in the last few days. Duh, I should have thought of looking for it that way.

It was installed under QuickShare by Linkery Inc.

Thanks for your advise and support, great community!
Jenna

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi JennaM, Ive been following your posts and everyone had such good inputs...So glad Support fixed your problem! It's exciting to hear solutions it's almost as much fun having a problem just to solve it. hooray!
You are right this community is the bomb....
Thanks for posting....
Have fun and have a great week!
Sherry