Solved

Start menu updated ?

• 20 December 2014
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
started Lenovo laptop this am; I have windows 8.1 (or 8.2?); do not have the old start menu but the window states that "Start Menu updated", with a list of supposed improvements; I can't get rid of or even minimize the window; no source for the update is shown; there is a pre-checked box that refers to lenovo SHAREit; this window remains on top of any other windows that I open; WebRoot  scan returns nothing; It appears that the only way to get rid of this window is to click "okay"; task manager shows nothing related to this window. legit? Thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 20 December 2014, 23:31

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi  damonroad

Welecome to the Community Forums.

OK, well starting with the Lenovo SHAREit, a quick search of the Lenovo support site reveals the following:

"SHAREit application, which provides a quick and easy way to share files and folders among computers, smartphones, tablets, or smart TVs with the Android operating system, the Microsoft Windows operating system, or iOS installed".

Sites for reference here & here.

So as far as I can see this is a legit piece of software most likely pushed to you by Lenovo (I have a Dell tablet and I am constantly having offers and software of various kinds, all by Dell, being pushed at me, etc...so this is nothing unusal as far as my experience goes).

So I am guessing that the major question is whether you want to download and install SHAREit or not.

As to the 'Start Menu updated' issue...I take it that you are seeing somethingthe same as or similar to this:

except that the app that is offered to be installed (at the bottom of the dialog) is for SHAREit?

Well, I think that the jury is out on this one as it seems to be being queried on many sites across the web today and there seems to be no consensus yet as to whether it is legitimate or not...and in that case then it is best to consider it suspect.

However, given that you have no optiojn other than to press 'OK' that is all you can do once you have decided if yo want SHAREit.  WSA will scan what ever occurs as a result and check any files added or updated as to whether good or bad; bad will be blocked, good allowed to run and those that it cannot determine it will set to monitor status which means (i) there actions are restricted to a small set of possible one & (ii) what the app does/changes is journalled so that in the event that WSA later determines that the app is bad then it can reverse all the actions of the app concerned.

THe only other thing that you can do is to Open a Support Ticket so that the Support Team can look into this for you.  Now whilst they do work 24/7 their usual speedy response times may be lower than usual due to it being the weekend.  BTW the service is free to all users with a valid/current subscription. 

I know that this does not give you the definitive answer that you were looking for but I hope it helps you decide how to proceed.  Please let us know what you decide and what occurs as feedback of this sort is of great value to us re. helping users in the future.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Hi damonroad

Just to let you know that I have found a thread (on a reputable site elsewhere) that has a similar question raised and on which there is some investigation occurring, and I am monitoring this in case some useful information comes to light re. your issue.

I will try to keep you updated on anything pertinent...but suffice to say that at present the best advice remains that you Open a Support Ticket and let the Support Team take a look.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you very much. Your screen shot was exactly the same as what  I see (except Lenovo vs AOL). What seems so suspicious is that there is no indication of the source. For now I have moved that window into a corner of my screen so that only a tiny part of it is still visible. Thank you again for your very helpful and prompt response. I'll check out your link now.
Userlevel 7
Hi damonroad

You are most welcome.  What yo uare saying yo are doing seems to be what most people are doing who are reporting this 'occurrence'...what is interesting is that they are all (as you are) Win8.1 users...so I am going to power up my Win8.1 system and see if anything bites (I have roll back capabilities on that system so should be in no danger if this proves to be a baddie).

As you rightly observe...no source or provenance of the popup...I am still monitoringthe other site which is investigating this and will, as previously advised, let you know if anything material comes of their investigations...assuming that I see anything before I head for the Land of Nod here in the UK...;)...but then, there is always tomorrow.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi damonroad

Well, I have been able to glean the results from over at the other site and am happy to share with you if you would like me to.  GIven that this is not something that we here in the Community have come across I will PM you the details provate;y, together with a suggestion as to what to look for and we can handle it that way...so as to keep within Community Guidelines.

If that is OK with you ?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
that would be great; thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi damonroad

Done...you should have a PM waiting for you in the Messages Inbox (just click on the Messages link in the top right hand corner of this page to go to your inbox.

I await your thoughts/feedback. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
I got that popup exactly. The only difference is my Webroot scanner just sits there at 0%. I've never had this issue until tthis popup showed up...
Userlevel 7
Hi jwhitaker65

Welcome to the Security Forums.

OK, lets deal with the scanning issue first.  May I ask if the scan was initiated automatically by WSA or you actually started it manually in response to the appearance of the aforementioned popup window?

In either case, if it has still not moved from 05 I would click on the Cancel button in the bottom right hand corner, and then  when the main app panel is redisplayed, close WSA, Reboot and then try running the same scan again.

If the issue with the scan not running persists then please carry out a clean reinstall of WSA and following the steps below  closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Once the reboot is complete check the scan process again, and if not fix/running normally I would Open a Support Ticket to get the Support Team to look at this in more detail.

I am currently working with damonroad diagnosing this issue and will post back here the outcome as soon as we have clarified this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Baldrick got it right. It is caused by Pokki, even though I deleted it (control panel/programs, etc/uninstall) (I thought) weeks ago.
Lenovo (again I think) sent an email which said that they were now bundling all new sales with Pokki and offered it to recent purchasers. I downloaded it, read negative reviews and deleted it (again I thought). That was weeks ago and it shows up today for the first time, taking over my desktop. Nothing showed in task manager/processes. I have just downloaded Revo Uninstaller (free) and it found a bunch of Pokki remnants. The "start menu updated" window has disappeared and I am about to restart my laptop and  hope for the best. I did follow Baldrick's advice and created a restore point before doing anything. I will report on my results.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Revo Uninstaller seems to done it. Kudos to Baldrick! There is apparently some disagreement about how to characterize this behavior. In my opinion, any program that takes over my desktop without my permission and remains as the uppermost window no matter what, that doesn't indicate where it comes from, and can't be closed by standard methods, is (fill in the blank)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
how do I give you "kudos" ? link is greyed out.
Userlevel 7
Hi damonroad

Very many thanks for the feedback...it is good to know that we understand now what has been happening and what is the cause.

As we discussed, and I think is supported by what you have reported back on:

1. The application seems to be pushed quite openly by manufacturer (dubious practice in our books, eh?)
2. Apparently, if one unistalls the app the popup goes away...but that does not seem to be the case.
3. It comes from the manufacturer, therefore it should not actually be harmful...more like bloatware, perhaps, but not
    harmful.
4. However, another view might be that Pokki is adware based, as could be interpreted by it's behaviour (as you have
    reported it) and that long term it will try and get you to install crapware/PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications, as we
    call them in the Community).

So given the above the decision is really the users...so in the first instance I would see first of all is if Pokki is in fact installed on ones system, and if it is and one feels that one has no need of it I would try uninstalling it, using the standard Add/Remove Programs option.  But BEFORE one does that (if that is what one decides to do) I would make sure that one Creates a System Restore Point or takes an image of your system...just in case the uninstallation causes issues (I am not saying that it will but rather that one can never be too careful).

If you follow this link one can find information from Pokki themsleves as to how to uninstall, or one could try  this link which also provides a guide as to how to carry out the uninstall (the site is reputable as far as I know and I have used them before).

As always, I would just caution that one needs to take care with this sort of thing and if for any reason one is unsure then best to Open a Support Ticket to let the Support Team know what we believe is the case, and see if they can do the removal for you.  The service is free for users with a valida/current  WSA subscription.

Hopefully the above provides a decent guide to any users who come across this marginal PUA in the future...thanks for your assistance in putting this together...much appreicated.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
how do I give you "kudos" ? link is greyed out.
Hi damonroad

Not sure why that might be...you are sure that you are clicking on the BLUE start with a '+' next to it in the bottom righthand corner under the post that one wants to give the kudo too?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
done; it must be bedtime; thanks again
Userlevel 7
damonroad, you are most welcome...and thank you for your assistance in this matter.  You have provided great feedback which will be very useful to the Community in helping other user who come here with a similar symptoms.

Do hope that you will hang around and contribute, and if you do not have the time to contribute regularly then yo will at least pop in on us from time to time...we do have fun here as well as dealiing with more serious matters. ;)

Have a great rest of weekend and a very Merry Festive Period.

Regards, Baldrick