Solved

The Nag Continues

• 31 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hi all, I have been using Webroot Secure Complete since August 26, 2012, when Triple Helix steered me in the right direction. (Thanks Daniel) :D
Since that time I have been able to convert more than ½ dozen users to Webroot.
After trying them all, both free and paid, I believe Webroot to be the very Best Security software available, along with the Best User Support and User Friendly Forum in the industry.
I do have some minor issues however with the 30 day nag renewal screen, not for myself, but Family members and converts. And of course the renewal fee structure.
Firstly it can’t be too difficult of a coding procedure to reduce the nag screen to 10 days or less and get rid of that crappy Brown nag screen with the exclamation symbol?
Along with being a Beta tester, I purchase a 5 pc license annually for non tech family members who each year, when the 30 day nag screen starts to show, the phone calls start coming in from them, and the new converts, when their nag screen hits.
Secondly the renewal costs (Leads to price shopping). When clicking the renew now link, in the user interface, for a 5 pc license, takes me to the site that has my keycode pre entered, and a renewal fee of $79.99 US. If I click on the little x to the right of the price I get re-directed to a new link that offers me the same 5 license code for $51.99 US. The other options are utilizing a VIP Code $39.99 US, or using the re-sellers site $29.95 US, a $50.00 US annual saving. Both of which gets me a new 5 license keycode and not a renewal. Then it’s still an irritation of being subjected to the nag screen color and contacting support to have the old keycode removed when it expires.
It seems to me that it may be prudent to offer RENEWAL customers loyalty discounts of some sort, when renewing/purchasing directly through Webroot, hitting the renewal button, having the 30 days automatically added to the current keycode, reversing the nag screen, all without having to contact support.
?
icon

Best answer by JamesG 1 September 2016, 00:08

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me ping ? on this one, since he handles the in-product messaging now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I posted this in Non Techie........................how did it arrive here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I moved it, since it was about Webroot rather than being a non-techie discussion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
OK Thanx nic!
Userlevel 7
Hello ?,

I'd be happy to provide some insight here.

Firstly it can’t be too difficult of a coding procedure to reduce the nag screen to 10 days or less and get rid of that crappy Brown nag screen with the exclamation symbol?

It's actually quite simple, but we have no plans of reducing this time window. After testing this multiple times we've determined that this time frame is the best for notifying customers of an upcoming expiration when they are opted out of Automatic Renewal(AR). The only time you should see this agent state in regards to a renewal is if AR fails.  Before AR takes place, the agent remains green with no trays or modals.

Secondly, the renewal costs (Leads to price shopping). When clicking the renew now link, in the user interface, for a 5 pc license, takes me to the site that has my keycode pre-entered, and a renewal fee of $79.99 US. If I click on the little x to the right of the price I get re-directed to a new link that offers me the same 5 license code for $51.99 US.

Renewal pricing is normally full price.  WSAC 5 seat new is running 35% off for back to school right now.  So when you remove the product from the cart, he’ll hit a compare page with ‘new’ pricing. This is not the same license, this is a new one.

The other options are utilizing a VIP Code $39.99 US, or using the re-sellers site $29.95 US, a $50.00 US annual saving. Both of which gets me a new 5 license keycode and not a renewal. Then it’s still an irritation of being subjected to the nag screen color and contacting support to have the old keycode removed when it expires.

Purchasing from a Reseller, or using a VIP code does not constitute a renewal, in essence, this is a new product keycode. I am unsure of what you mean by contacting support to have the old keycode removed. Are you referring to changing it in the agent or having it removed via the console? If you are referring to the agent, there is no need to contact support, you click the gear icon next to My Account and enter the new product keycode before the old one expires.

It seems to me that it may be prudent to offer RENEWAL customers loyalty discounts of some sort, when renewing/purchasing directly through Webroot, hitting the renewal button, having the 30 days automatically added to the current keycode, reversing the nag screen, all without having to contact support.

We generally do full price at renewal as that is the industry standard and the initial price is a promotional price. After using the software and seeing how effective it is, customers should find it to hold more value, and thus be OK with paying the normal price for it. If you would like to discuss renewal discounts it would be best to reach out to our sales team directly as they may have specific discounts they can offer you.

I hope this helps and hope you have a great day!

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Thank you for the feedback. You have made Webroots Policy very plain! I will therefore continue to shop...........................
@ wrote:
Hello @,

It's actually quite simple, but we have no plans of reducing this time window. After testing this multiple times we've determined that this time frame is the best for notifying customers of an upcoming expiration when they are opted out of Automatic Renewal(AR). The only time you should see this agent state in regards to a renewal is if AR fails.  Before AR takes place, the agent remains green with no trays or modals.

Hi @,

Thanks for providing this info. Like @ I also find the brown interface and exclamation mark on the icon annoying. How about giving users the option to acknowledge the upcoming expiry - which could then return their interfaces back to normal?

What Lyle meant by contacting support has to do with passwords and B & S which require support to transfer.

For the record, I've been a WSA customer for almost 5 years. I have never renewed my subscription and have always purchased a new keycode. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty and everything to do with the size of my paycheck. ;)

I think it goes without saying that those of us here in the Community, especially the power users, are loyal to Webroot regardless what we pay for the subscription.

Thanks again for the info,

BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Thanx BD............well put!
Badge +1
Wholeheartedly agree with Burn Daddy on this. Well-put and he has very valid points that should be listened to from a marketing, sales, and plain "be nice to your own loyal "bread and butter" customers" standpoint.

Webroot sales and marketing needs to become aware that I and others do ding Webroot greatly in our online reviews for this 30 day "nagware" countdown with no means (such as acknowledgement to stop the nags). Paying customers who paid for and plan to renew via a new key on set date simply don't deserve this type of treatment. It is a form of coercion for those that know exactly when they intend to manually renew.

Please communicate to your developers to provide options to remove it.