Solved

The Safe Mac Antivirus Testing - bad results?

• 8 August 2013
  • 6 replies

Does the community have any kind of feedback on the results from The Safe Mac's Antivirus  testing and why Webroot SecureAnywhere scored so low?  I know WebRoot uses a radically different technique for detecting malware, but i'm suprised that it only detected 21%/29% of the threats in the test.

http://www.thesafemac.com/mac-anti-virus-testing-01-2013/

icon

Best answer by DanP 8 August 2013, 22:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
We were well aware of these test results when they were published back in January. This was the first test of our Mac product, and the product has improved since this test was done. We expect to see much better test scores the next time the Mac product is tested. 

-Dan
Are there any more recent tests that you could refer me to?  We're considering SecureAnywhere for our 35 or so macs and that review isn't very comforting!
Userlevel 7
While I don't have any tests to direct you to, our Mac-specific version of Webroot SecureAnywhere averages a 4.3 out of 5 in our reviews on Best Buy's website.  Mac antivirus testing still isn't as commonplace as PC antivirus testing.
Hello DanP,

"We were well aware of these test results when they were published back in January..."

If Webroot was aware of there (poor) test results published in January , why is the Mac version sold for 39$ then? Wouldn't have been more appropriate to offer it as free version till you will be able to iron out all or most of the bugs?

Selling a lemon while you know that is a lemon is not a nice thing...

Look at Sophos: they offer for free their version for Mac  and you have to pay for a Windows version. 
Userlevel 7
Dan answered your question in his post itself.
"...and the product has improved since this test was done. We expect to see much better test scores the next time the Mac product is tested."
Thanks Dan and Jim for your insight. Hopefully we'll see a credible review soon that will support your assertion. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something once the SecureAnywhere business for Mac is released.