Solved

The scan process stop at 66% and computer freeze

• 2 November 2013
  • 49 replies

Hello Webroot Community,

The scan process stopped at 66% and computer freeze at the 66% scanning.
What can I do?....I restarted the computer to post the problem here..

Please Help. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by salutealltoday 6 November 2013, 02:04

View original

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The webroot employee said the key was broken...yesterday another employee uninstalled and reinstalled the webroot antivirus. However today the iddnetity shield and the firewall changed by itself to read (disabled). I panicked and called them. Then the WR employee told me the key was broken, that they were the ones that disabled those two items...to not worry and then he gave me a new key and reinstalled.

Okay I will try to uninstall defender now...Thanks!
Turn it off as you can't uninstall WD it's part of Vista! Once that is done download a fresh Copy here make sure you have a copy of your keycode then reboot your PC and install WSA with the new installer and let it finish it's install scan and after Reboot again and please report back!

Thanks,

Daniel

Please see picture!

Thanks.

I just noticed that windows updated windows defender today...I will try to run it now....if my computer get frozen I will not be able to talk...so I'm saying thank you since now...just in case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Look at my post above as I added more pictures we have to slow down 1 step at a time Okay?

Daniel
Guess what the culprit is defender..I run it again and it froze my computer!!! Had to turn my computer off and restart it!

Okay I will read your previous e-mail. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Okay turn off WD and Reboot then try to install WSA again with the new installer I posted above and make sure you have a copy of your Keycode! Just follow the steps I said above! I'm trying to help you so 1 step at a time please!

Thanks,

Daniel
There is no "ADMINISTRATOR" under Windows Defender.

The screen of defender is different than yours: in my computer under OPTIONS there is:
"Automatically scan my computer"
"Check for updated definition before scanning"
"Apply default actions to items detected during scanning"

The three items has a check mark...under "Automatically scan my computer" there was the schedule time ..

Do you want I uncheck the 3 items?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Please wait I will get a Picture from Vista and post it!

Daniel
I will unchecked those 3 items tomorrow morning.

I'm very sleepy...I will come back tomorrow to do what you explained...usually I go to bed early and is super late for me!

Thanks for helping me...I will be back Saturday morning
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Follow the steps in the Pictures to turn off WD on Vista!

Daniel

Okay I did it thanks to you:D--windows defender is OFF!

Do I need to uninstall the webroot  that was installed this morning oR should I try to run webroot to see if does not freeze at 66% of the scanning??
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Okay windows defender if OFF!

Do I need to uninstall the webroot  that was installed this morning?
Is it installed? If it is do a scan from the main page and report back!

Daniel

Okay I started the webroot scanning...if I don't come back is because it froze the computer at 66%. then I will come back tomorrow.

Just in case...if it freeze I will deal with the problem tomorrow...I'm very sleepy...thanks, thanks, thanks for your help. THANKS!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Okay if it still sticks at 66% we are going to do a clean reinstall! Download the installer here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall and REBOOT then install with the new installer and let it finish it's install scan after that REBOOT again and do a scan and let us know if that fixes the issue!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
@ wrote:
Okay if it still sticks at 66% we are going to do a clean reinstall! Download the installer here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall and REBOOT then install with the new installer and let it finish it's install scan after that REBOOT again and do a scan and let us know if that fixes the issue!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Good morning...I'm running the WR scan now...let see if pass the 66% scanning.
Yesterday I uninstalled WDefender.

Yesterday night I ran WD and froze again...It froze again today.
So now I will unistall WR and reinstall...I suppose I have to go to control panel and programs to uninstall...is that right?
Userlevel 7
Copy your key code first!

To remove the Webroot, you can use the control panel, or you can use the Start menu.  From the Start menu go to All Programs, Webroot, I think it is the Tools folder, uninstall.  There is an uninstall icon in the Webroot listing on the Start menu and it will work fine.

After the uninstall, REBOOT the computer.  If you want to, it would not hurt to check the computer to make sure all Webroot folders are removed before your reboot.  C:/Program Files/Webroot and C:/Program Data/WBRData can safely be removed,

Re-install Webroot using the PC Download link below (Or the one Daniel gave previously).

Hi Daniel. David

I uninstalled defender
I uninstall the WR program and reboot the computer.
I install the WR program
-STATUS: It stopped at 66% for a while but continued then stopped at 90% for a while and now ite scan is finished!!!

It took 25 minutes to scan ...but finally did not get stuck at 66% of the scanning.

Thanks, Thanks...I'm stupid concerning all of this..
Thanks for your big help!!!! 

Questions:
What do you think? 
Anything else....no threat detected!!
Should we keep defender uninstalled...anyway it was doing nothing the last couple of weeks and when I run  it manually froze my computer...so shoul I keep it unistalled? Th WR people told me I did not need defender anyway!
Shoul I run a second WR scan again to see if go faster?

EDIT: OH no now the screen is white and the cursor arrow changed to a moving circle!

I will shut the computer...

Userlevel 7
Glad it is getting past the 66% now!

As for Windows Defender, you might try re-enabling it and seeing what it does, but do not be too upset if it still causes a problem.  As far as fixing it goes if it still has issues, you might need assistance from Microsoft on that part of things.  I would NOT re-enable it yet though... lets make sure everything is good to go with Webroot first!

As for running another Webroot scan, YES!  Reboot the computer and start up a fresh scan.  The first scan is always the longest so the next one should be considerably faster. 

Let us know how the 2nd scan does!
I'm writing from another computer...I will restart the computer now.

Okay I restarted the computer...the icon of WR  says scan is required....now I noticed the shields are in red...I know I have the option to change them from disable to unable clicking on the white/red tab...

Question shoul I run the scan with those shields in red or should i change the shields to enable them before the scan....I don't know!
I'm panicking....again. Please help!!!

Question: should I run the scan with those shields in red or should i change the shields to enable them before the scan....I don't know!:(
 The items are "Real Time"; Web Shield; and Firewall....all of these shields  items are in red

PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS!
Okay I restarted the coumputer and enabled the shields and I'm running a new scan....hope all this is okay.

It is running and now stopped in the infamous 66% scanning where  the record in the green scanning screen reads:
c:program filesmicrosoft officeoffice12groovessystemmode.dll

okay I will take a break to see if the scanning move from 66% again or not....let see what happens.

How long should I be waiting before I shut the computer if I see it still stuck at 66% of the scanning?

The screen of the computer went gray and the arrow cursor turned in a moving circle!!!:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Please Submit a Support Ticket I think we have gone as far as we can go and maybe you have other issues with your system and support will let you know and hopefully find the issue.

Daniel
Okay...I wa s able to turn the computer again...but I'm afraid to run the scan again.

I will let you know the outcome...let's see what happens during the weekend. At least the shields are enable and the computer is working.

You guys are very helpful...I'm glad I found this forum.

I don't know to much ...but I feel good to know I will be able to c alm down and come here with my questions. 

Wishing you the best! Thank you very much!
PROBLEM RESOLVED: THANKS; THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS>Every piece of advise accumulated helped...to find the solution
!
Need to update: I called webroot today and they help me too. I told them everything we have done during the weekend.
While I was checking the chdsk the computer was not finding some errors. When web root employee,  Johnny S, ran the computer in "Safe Mode" today, the computer showed some errors and began the repairs...and guess what?. Bingo...errors were found and fixed.:D

Then remotely he uninstalled and reinstalled the wr program and scanned the computer again .....the feeling was great when I saw the scanning screen passing the 67% percent of scanning. (That was the point were the computer was freezing!

Thanks everyone that advised me and a big virtual congratulations to Mr. Johnny S in Webroot!
 Johnny S...I don't know your last name but I imagine that the S for me means SPLENDID!!!❤️

THANKS!!!! This is how I feel now:D:DTHANKS everyone that answer my questions. I'm very grateful!❤️