Solved

This program doesn't seem legit

• 13 June 2013
  • 7 replies

webroot security showed up on my pc today, and i have not downloaded it. I havent downloaded anything. i highly suspect this to be a virus, but I can't find amy mention of it on google, and I also cannot uninstall it. It told me that my pc was infected and asked if I was sure. Then after I said I was sure, it made me fill out a captcha image, then it opened up IE, but Im not sure where to since I had the internet unplugged.

for now it does appear to be uninstalled, but Im not sure. Im running my virus protection programs again just to be safe, but I figured I would check here to see if anyone had any input.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 13 June 2013, 21:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Webroot SecureAnywhere is our anti-virus product and perfectly legitimate. It is an upgraded version of PrevX 3.0, which was aquired by Webroot in 2010. If you had PrevX previously installed on your PC, it would have automatically upgraded you to the latest version (think PrevX 4 but with Webroot branding). More information on this can be found at PrevX.com. Here's the message:

In November 2010 Webroot acquired Prevx with the goal of delivering the industry's most effective online protection for consumers and businesses. In October 2011, we achieved that goal with the launch of the Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ solution, integrating technology from both Prevx and Webroot.

NOTE: Webroot SecureAnywhere is practically 3 years worth of a upgrade over PrevX 3.0 with a whole new database of cloud determinations, most likely is has caught some malware that your other software has not.
Userlevel 7
Hello maniah and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am not an employee of Webroot, I am simply a satisfied user.  When I first was becoming acquianted with it, I was a bit skeptical, but I can assure you it is legit.

1) It had to have been downloaded by yourself or someone else who uses your computer.  Webroot does NOT piggy back on other downloads or programs, the only way to have it installed is to do in intentionally.  Some programs, like Adobe Reader, carry "added software" like Yahoo Messenger or other software.  Webroot does NOT distribute it's products that way.  

Perhaps you had your computer worked on by someone?  You might ask them if they had installed Webroot.

2) Webroot is carried by many large retailers, and sold online.  It is not new or unknown

3) I am not sure why your Google search would not show anything.. I just did a search for it and found the main website, many many reviews, links to retailers to carry it, a Wikipedia article, and more.

4) If you are a user or Prevx, your software may have upgraded to Webroot.  Prevx was purchased by Webroot some years ago and the products are being combined into a single well respected piece of software.

5) The captcha image is simply self protection: it prevents malware from uninstalling or disabling Webroot.  Simply put, the captcha has to be entered by you to uninstall so that the software cannot be uninstalled by accident or automatically by malware.

6) The website you were directed to is a Webroot page that simply asks you for the reason for uninstalling it.  It is basically an "exit survey" intended for people to comment so that Webroot can contnue to improve the software.  They want to know why someone was not happy with it.

Your malware software will not detect Webroot because you uninstalled it.  Once you give that captcha to uninstall it, it is gone.  This isn't malware.

I invite you to re-install it to test it out.  You might find that you like it.  If you have any questions, let us know.  There is usually someone on here who can help answer your questions.
Userlevel 5
Hi maniah:
    Your in safe hands with Webroot. As mentioned by staff and members this is a legitimate software and the best on the web for sure. Just follow the advice given and of course join us here on the forum you will be assured with confidence on Webroot Products.:D
Had the same issue myself ! Most disconcerting.

However, once I was told by webroot support (tracked them down through google) they quickly got webroot re-installed once I realised it was the new version of PREVX.

I must say, it's working very well and has more features. Just wish they had communicated better with me - maybe I missed the email???!
Thank you all! I do indeed have PrevX on my computers.. But I guess they failed to notify people of the change. It's odd that one computer updated to Webroot, but the second computer failed to do so. I'll have to run an update on the second computer to see what happened... And I guess I have to reinstall on the other computer.. somehow..
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you all! I do indeed have PrevX on my computers.. But I guess they failed to notify people of the change. It's odd that one computer updated to Webroot, but the second computer failed to do so. I'll have to run an update on the second computer to see what happened... And I guess I have to reinstall on the other computer.. somehow..
Hello maniah and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. ;)

When it updates from Prevx to WSA it does change the install keycode so you might have to install Prevx again or you can Submit a Support Ticket and they will be able to help you.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And more information about the Prevx Migration to WSA-AV.

HTH,

Daniel