Solved

Unable to update

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Anyone else having troubles with updating?   On one system (win 7 pro 64 bit) Webroot SecureAnywhere will not update automatically or manually.

In February I was told to uninstall and reinstall.  It was uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

In March I was told to uninstall and reinstall but they stated; "Yes, if this issue happens a third time we will want to research it further to determine the exact block for the Webroot Update."  It was uninstalled and reinstalled.

In April they alternate between asking for information and telling me to uninstall and reinstall.  I would really like to find out why it isn't working the same way it does on my other win 7 pro 64 bit system with the same security configuration.

Obviously uninstalling and reinstalling is not correcting the problem. and I am still being asked (third time this incident) to uninstall and reinstall.  So, if anyone has had this issue what did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by ExpertNovice 25 April 2013, 16:08

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello do you have this box checked in the settings? Also you can Download and install over top for now and if it continues please Submit a Support Ticket for support can take a closer look. Also the latest release is v8.0.2.127 and can you tell us if your using any other security products in realtime maybe another firewall besides WSA's firewall and Windows firewall or HIPS program?

HTH,

TH

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Question: do you have this box checked in the settings?
Answer: Yes.  "Automatically download and apply updates" option is checked. 

Comment: Also the latest release ishttps:///t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-127/m-p/31988#M134
Response: Webroot SecureAnywhere version 8.0.2.118 is currently in use.

Question: Also you can Download and install over top for now and if it continues please Submit a Support Ticket for support can take a closer look.
Answer: A ticket was opened April 9.  During this time there was a 7 day period when I was unable to respond.  I am refusing to uninstall/reinstall because it needs to be determined why "SecureAnywhere could not be updated at this time."  In March Tech support agreed to help if it happened a third time and this is the third time.  Tech Support made the following statement on April 10:
     1. Open the Webroot SecureAnywhere main interface.
     2. Click My Account.
     3. In the My Account panel, click Check for software updates.
     4. If a newer version exists, Webroot downloads the updates to your system.
The "could not be updated" message pops up immediately after clicking "Yes."

Question:  can you tell us if your using any other security products in realtime maybe another firewall besides WSA's firewall and Windows firewall or HIPS program?
Answer:  Yes, I'm using Online Armor. 
Point 1:  OA has been closed and shut down (I didn't simply "Deactivate HIPS Features") prior to "Checking for software updates" in tab "My Account."  The result is a consistent "SecureAnywhere could not be updated at this time."
Point 2:  Tech Support stated, earlier this year, that all Webroot programs were listed in OA.  All are Allowed (Status) and Trusted (Trust Level) as shown below.
Program (Folder)
WRusr.dll (C:WindowsSystem32)
WRusr.dll (C:WindowsSysWOW64)
WRkrn.sys (C:WindowsSystem32drivers)
WRkrn.sys (C:WindowsSystem32drivers)
WSRA.exe (C:Program FilesWebroot)
The following program is Allowed (Status) and Normal (Trust Level).
wsalogs.exe (This was downloaded a couple of days ago at Tech Supports request and will be deleted upon conclusion of this incident)
Userlevel 7
ExpertNovice,

When did you last re-install?  v8.0.2.127 was released on March 27th, so if your last re-install was before that you may want to try that re-install again.  Here is the Current Download/Installer
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the info you also have to add this directory to OA C:ProgramDataWRData and please Uninstall/Reboot and use the Download link provide in my post or the one David provided to get the latest version v8.0.2.127 and install and have a good look again that OA isn't blocking anything from WSA and report back and in time there will be a new update and check in to see and let us know if it is resolved.

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Question: When did you last re-install?
Answer:  March 4.  It was the second time I had to uninstall/reinstall to update.
Userlevel 7
ExpertNovice - Your support ticket has been responded to with instructions for a special uninstall/reinstall. The technician explains how to perform the installation after a renaming of WRData which will most likely resolve the issue. Also, the technician explains that the program is not communicating properly and that he is not able to get the proper logs, so an un/re would actually help us troubleshoot further by fixing the log issue.

The instructions to perform an un/re with a WRData rename are in the support ticket.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
My first question: in March I was told; "Yes, if this issue happens a third time we will want to research it further to determine the exact block for the Webroot Update."  So, why am I being asked to uninstall/reinstall again so we can wait for the fourth incident?

Comment: you also have to add this directory to OA C:ProgramDataWRData
Response:  There are no programs in that directory to be added.  However, OA was closed and shut down before trying to update Webroot and it did not help.

Also, the OA firewall, allows WRSA.exe outbound TCP access to port 80.  Outbound was temporarily changed to both but there was no help.  I then checked the router and found nothing associated with WRSA.exe; which makes sense since the other computers are have no issues with updating.

Comment: Uninstall/Reboot and use the Download link provide in my post or the one David provided to get the latest version v8.0.2.127 and install and have a good look again that OA isn't blocking anything from WSA
Response:  Can OA have any impact once it is closed and shut down?  However, with OA running logging was enabled, an attempt to update Webroot made, the log showed that port 80 was blocked to WRSA but that was corrected.  I have no idea how it was blocked and was not seen during the February and March inicidents.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That was my original thought that OA could be blocking the update and I haven't use OA in years but it can be over zealous in my experience and could be the culprit also is there a way to add Folders such as this one C:ProgramDataWRData to exclusions? All I can suggest for testing purposes if you still have v8.0.2.118 installed is to uninstall OA and use WSA's Firewall with Windows Firewall as it does give you full protection and try updating again.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see Mike's post above yours so please follow his instructions.

TH
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
As for the logs. I was surprised that the wsalogs.exe program was not used to gather and send the logs.  In fact, the instructions given are scary.  I had no idea that simply filling in a subject and message on a web page could execute code.  Here are the instructions:

Please go to the computer that has Webroot SecureAnywhere installed and open it and go to "Help & Support" at the bottom. Click on the button "Open A Support Ticket" and type your email in and press continue and then type your password that we have created for you in the email I just sent you. Now you will want to send me a message from the computer that has Webroot installed, so in the Subject please put in "P4" and then in the message just type "Logs" and then press "Send". This will send us the required logs to look at the program and see what it has been quarantining.

PS.  I "viewed quarantine" and it is empty.   There is nothing to save when "save thread log" is clicked.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Tech support stated the logs showed issues with the HDD.  Interesting as the only system I have with known HDD issues is a very old XP system.  At the request of Tech Support a scan was run of both HDD's.  After the scans; Webroot SecureAnywhere updated without an uninstall/reinstall.

Both event viewer entries were captured if you want to see the detail but the summaries, including "issues" follow.

Drive C results.  "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems." 
The only reported "issues" 
Cleaning up 543 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. 
Cleaning up 543 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. 
Cleaning up 543 unused security descriptors.

Drive D results:  "No problems were found on the device or disk. It is ready to use."  
The only reported "issues"  
Cleaning up 28 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.  
Cleaning up 28 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.  
Cleaning up 28 unused security descriptors.

Userlevel 7
Very glad this is finally fixed.,..  It sounds like the file index or the file itself may have been the issue.  Definately a good case for us all to learn from!
Hi everyone,

I'm not actually having a problem updating my webroot I'm having trouble updating my computer. When I was updating my computrer webroot popped up with block or allow and I didn't realize when I pressed allow once that it would only update once and block everyother time.

Any help fixing this problem would be great.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Helllo Masques and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Was the item you allowed once an actual file, or a URL?

If it was a file, you might be able to find it by opening WSA, and then clicking on the 'gear tool' for PC Security.  In there, click the Block/Allow Files tab, and see if the file is listed in there.  If it is, and set to block, you can change it to Monitor or Allow.

If it was a URL, I think if you reboot the computer and try again it will give you the option again, but I am not positive on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Masques and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! 

If your not using Windows 8.1 have a look under Firewall for block connections also to what David suggested. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4c_ManagingActiveConnections.htm

Daniel