Solved

uninstallation issue

• 10 March 2012
  • 74 replies

Hi!  I hope you can help me.  After scanning the internet I cannot seem to find any help for my problem.  Here goes.  I installed Webroot many months ago and had a six month antivirus protection after buying my computer from Best Buy,  About a month ago it stopped working.  I could no longer open the program.  I thought it had expired, so I renewed it, tried installing again and it wouldn't work.  I can't remember exactly what it was doing, but if I remember correctly, it wouldn't accept my new key code.  After being frusrated and trying many things, I returned my renewal and uninstalled what I could from my computer of Webroot.  However, when I restarted my computer recently, a box came up and asked if I wanted Webroot to make changes to my hard drive.  Obviously something is still there.  I went looking and found WRSA in my programs files.  It does not show up in programs where I can uninstall it.  If I try to delete the program, it tells me that it cannot delete the file because it is open in system.  Help.  I want to remove Webroot from my computer but can't seem to figure out how to do it.  Obviously I cannot install it, but I also cannot uninstall it.  Any thoughts?  

----------
(edit for searchable subject line - Jim)
icon

Best answer by Kit 12 March 2012, 04:42

View original

74 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues uninstalling that you are experiencing.

The reason we ask where you purchased it from, is so we can provide the proper uninstall instructions.

If the normal uninstall process does not work then we will need to do a clean uninstall.

I have provided instructions on how to do that below:

For Windows 8:

Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen to open the Charm Bar menu.
     Click Search, then type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes), and press Enter on your keyboard.
     Scroll down the programs list until you see the Webroot security product.
     Click the Webroot security product entry once to select it, then click Uninstall/Remove.
     When asked if you are sure you want to uninstall, click Yes and follow any prompts that appear.

2.  Restart your computer.

3. Click the Windows Start button.

4. Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen to open the Charm Bar menu. Click Search, enter the following text into the field exactly as it appears below, and then press Enter:

%PROGRAMDATA%

5.  Locate the WRData folder.  This folder may not be present; if it is not, then continue to Part 2.  If it is present, right-click the WRData folder and select Rename. Change the name to WRData1.  

6. After you have done this please restart your computer and then repeat step 4. Once you are in the %PROGRAMDATA% folder simply navigate to the WRData folder you renamed and delete it.

Once this is done, Webroot should no longer be installed on the system.

If it is still installed, you will need to contact our support team and have them uninstall for you.

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227
Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Please let me know if this worked for you or if there is anything else I can do to assist.

Best Regards,
Done all of that, too.  Please, I've been a geek since 1980.  I've ojnly seen one other program like webroot.  It was a Soviet spyware thingy that was self-replicating, too.  Adobe uses a piece of it to remind people to update.
Userlevel 7
@,

I apologize that you are still unable to uninstall.
If you are still unable to uninstall the program you will need to contact our support team. They can resolve this for you free of charge.

You can do this by telephone or through our ticketing system. I have provided the number and link below.

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227
Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

If you would like, I can also create a ticket for you, but it would still need to be handled by one of our technical support agents.

Best Regards,

I've been on the line, waiting since your last message.
Waiting... 15 min..
I got a real life and I can wait any longer..  Has it occurred to your company that the methodology to uninstall your product should be far more simple than this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Normally it is, but something seems to have gone wrong in your particular case.

You could submit a ticket online and request a callback, that way you don't have wait online.

James just checked the queue and it looks like the holds times are down to 3 minutes, so if you want to continue to hold it shouldn't be much longer.
Userlevel 7
Hi Slartybartfast

Have you tried the Run Dialog: "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall option making sure that it is run in an elevated Command Prompt/Run as Administrator, i.e., open the command prompt by right clicking on the option and selecting 'Run as Administrator' before then typing in the above command?

Often the need to run with elevated previliges is overlooked.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to add what Baldrick suggested sometimes Copy & Paste doesn't work and you have to type the Commandline entry exactly!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I'm back.  Yes, I have done that, as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And no go? Can you try in Safe Mode with Networking? If not then Submit a Support Ticket as we can only do so much on the Community and Support has the right tools!

Thanks,

Daniel  😉
I'm very pleased with my Surface 3 Pro.  The copy and paste works every time.  Some programs, like WORD, however, will not copy PASTE everything & haven't since Windows 7.  I usually copy using notepad, but that's not the problem.  I truly believe you understand how frustrating this is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Follow the above please as I said we can only do so much on the Community and support has other tools.

Thanks,

Daniel
Call me stupid but when I run an UNinstallation tool, I want it to work.  I want NO TRACE of the software in my computer.  After running this tool in safe mode and every other mode, WHY is it still in my computer in the tray next to the clock????

This is so wrong... I do compuiter repair for people and this is one of my biggest complaints.  FIX IT.
Userlevel 7
Hi yankeez

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Question 1; what tool are you referring to. Question 2; what is stil in your computer in the tray next to the clock?

A little more precise detail as to the issue would be a great help in us trying to help you.  Of course I can guess, but it is always better to have the issue properly described.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Baldrick
you tell people that one of your techs can help us, but at what price?  I do not have a current subscription,and wd like to remove Webroot from my laptop. will I need a current subscription to get help?
Userlevel 7
Hi kristi

You should be able to remove WSA by just the normal route, ie. via the Uninstall applet in the Control Panel (assuming that you are using a PC) however, it could happen that uninstallation options for WSA could be missing from there or Start menu.  If you want to uninstall WSA and are unable to do so because of the options are missing, here are some steps you can try to resolve the problem.

Do let us know if that helps or not.

Regards, Baldrick
Hello Retired Webrooter,

This is a testimony that the steps you provided (to uninstall in safe mode) worked beautifully!!  Thanks so much.  I too was experiencing the same issue as the user that initiated this discussion.

Just a side note, I do love the Webroot SecureAnywhere, however my license expired and my cable provider is currenlty providing me free security software.  In the future, should I need to repurchase security software for my PC, it will definitely be Webroot.

Thanks again.
I was looking for the FREE TRIAL!  WHAT HAPPENED!
T. K.
@ wrote:
Hello Retired Webrooter,

This is a testimony that the steps you provided (to uninstall in safe mode) worked beautifully!!  Thanks so much.  I too was experiencing the same issue as the user that initiated this discussion.

Just a side note, I do love the Webroot SecureAnywhere, however my license expired and my cable provider is currenlty providing me free security software.  In the future, should I need to repurchase security software for my PC, it will definitely be Webroot.

Thanks again.
@ wrote:
Hello Retired Webrooter,

Thanks again.
I was looking for the FREE TRIAL, and it just did not WORK!  WHAT HAPPENED?  T.K>
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Beadoni87,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please look here http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/ and have a look here http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials/av?trpd=WSAV&loc=USA

Hope this helps? If not you can call them here. http://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us

I just uninstalled Web Root today on Windows 10 .  Here's how:

1. First you go to Web Root in the taskbar and exit the program.

1. Then in the search box in Windows 10 type the destination path to the executable Web Root Program. Something like "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" -uninstall 
Note: Do not include the quotes.

This location is the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. 

1. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes. 
  2. Then follow the steps below for  Windows 10:
Click Search, enter the following text into the field exactly as it appears below, and then press Enter: 

%PROGRAMDATA% 

6. Locate the WRData folder. This folder may not be present; if it is not, you are finished.
If it is present, right-click the WRData folder and select Rename. Change the name to WRData1. And delete that file.
Also there may be another WRData file in the Web Root folder itself found in the Programs folder. Likewise rename it WRData1 and delete it.
After you delete the WRData files, you can then delete the Program folder called Web Root.

7. Restart your computer and let it boot into Normal Mode. Webroot should be completely off the machine at this time. 

Good Luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I just uninstalled Web Root today on Windows 10 .  Here's how:

1. First you go to Web Root in the taskbar and exit the program.

1. Then in the search box in Windows 10 type the destination path to the executable Web Root Program. Something like "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" -uninstall 

This location is the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. 

1. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes. 
  2. Then follow the steps below for  Windows 10:
Click Search, enter the following text into the field exactly as it appears below, and then press Enter: 

%PROGRAMDATA% 

6. Locate the WRData folder. This folder may not be present; if it is not, you are finished.
If it is present, right-click the WRData folder and select Rename. Change the name to WRData1. And delete that file.
Also there may be another WRData file in the Web Root folder itself found in the Programs folder. Likewise rename it WRData1 and delete it.
After you delete the WRData files, you can then delete the Program folder called Web Root.

7. Restart your computer and let it boot into Normal Mode. Webroot should be completely off the machine at this time. 

Good Luck!

Sorry but you don't need to shut down WSA as if you do and during uninstall it will turn it back on as it needs to be running with an Internet connection to uninstall correctly. Everything else sounds about right also after WSA has been uninstalled you can look for any possible leftovers: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766

This here also you need to include the quotes for it to work!

??

Daniel
Is there an updated .exe file?  I tried this one to uninsttall and when I restated my PC Webroot returned.  I never purchased Webroot, althougth I have heard good things, but it is in conflict with my current protection program and I need it removed.
Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Hi jcassell87

No, WRSA.exe is and always has been the .exe, and there have been no changes as far as I am aware of.

You should be able to folow the instructions provided and uninstall the .exe, but if you cannot then I would call Webroot Support, explain the situation and ask them for help to remove WRSA.exe.

Regards, Baldrick