updatenowpro

My windows 8 computer just got infected with the updatenowpro virus.  Webroot did not detect it.  This virus is really an adware attack that is launches a bunch of windows anytime you open your browser.

I purchased other software to eliminate this threat.  

Has anyone else encounted this?

Why isn't Webroot on top of it?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hi 

Read this thread:
Virus Removal Options
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Virus-Removal-Options/ta-p/54074

Thank you
Petr.

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Remove UpdateNowPro.com pop-up ads 

In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
  1. To uninstall the malicious program responsible for the UpdateNowPro.com pop-up ads from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the Start button, then click on theControl Panel menu option.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel” .Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panelfrom there

2.When the Control Panel window opens click on the Uninstall a program option underPrograms category. This option is shown by the arrow in the image below. If you are using theClassic View of the Control Panel, then you would double-click on the Programs and Features icon instead.

3. When the Programs and Features or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall flash-EnhancerSafeSaver,DP1815Video PlayerConvert Files for FreePlus-HD 1.3BetterSurfMedia Player 1.1PassShowLyricsBuddy-1YutubeAdBlock 1.2Media Player 1.1Savings Bull,Feven Pro 1.1WebsteroidsSavings BullHD-Plus 3.5, QuickShare, Lightspark, Surftastic, Software Version Updater, Media Viewer 1.1 and any other recently installed unknown program from your computer.
To view the most recently installed programs, you can click on the “Installed On” column to sort your program by the installation date. Scroll though the list, and uninstall any unwanted or unknown programs.

1. Depending on what program has installed the UpdateNowPro.com adware infection, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can proceed with the next step.
If you are having issues while trying to uninstall the UpdateNowPro.com program, you can use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove this unwanted program from your machine.

Remove UpdateNowPro.com pop-up ads from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome

Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon http://malwaretips.com/images/removalguide/icongear.jpg (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Resetbutton.
In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
  1. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
  2. Close and open Internet Explorer.

Firefox
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window), and select Troubleshooting Information.
Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Informationpage.
  1. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
  2. Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish

Chrome
Click the Chrome menu http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Chrome-button.png  button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
In the Extensions tab, remove the RightSaverSafeSaverDP1815Video Player,Convert Files for FreePlus-HD 1.3BetterSurfMedia Player 1.1PassShow,LyricsBuddy-1YutubeAdBlock 1.2Media Player 1.1Savings BullFeven Pro 1.1,WebsteroidsSavings BullHD-Plus 3.5, QuickShare any other unknown extensions by clicking the trash can http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Trash-Can-Chrome.png icon.
Basically, if you have not installed an extensions then you should remove it from your web browser.

Its nice that you give me a manual way of removing this.  

I find it less than acceptable that Webroot doesn't take of this for me.  That is one of the reasons I bought.  Makes me wonder what else it is Webroot is missing!

No happy!
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
You can always contact the support and help you fix the problem.
Getting help to resolve it manually is NOT the point.  I found instructions to do that on the web.  My point...why doesn't Webroot have the ability to do this without my intervention?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Getting help to resolve it manually is NOT the point.  I found instructions to do that on the web.  My point...why doesn't Webroot have the ability to do this without my intervention?

Under Scan Settings there is a setting for Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications (often abbreviated to PUAs) - do you have that turned on?  It looks like updatenowpro is a PUA that might have gotten installed along with another application, rather than a virus per se.  
Userlevel 7
Hi yeloduster,

Did you contact the Support, as you were adivsed previously?
Yes, my scan settings are and have always been set to "Detect Potentially Unwanted Application".

No, I did not contact Support.  I had resolved the issue by purchasing software that detected and eliminated the problem.   
Obviously, Webroot cannot detect  'updatenowpro'.  I was not interested in manual removal.  There are numerous pitfalls there and I was not willing to invest the time.

I am not swayed that Webroot needs to put some more effort into detecting and eliminating issues of this nature.  In the meantime, I have my solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry that it wasn't detected by us - would you be open to support contacting you for logs to find out why it slipped through?  That way we can make sure that nobody else is affected.  It could be a new variant of updatenowpro that needs to be catalogued.
Userlevel 7
Hi yeloduster

Been following this thread with interest.  May I ask if you have checked 'Active Processes' to see if the .exe is recorded there, and of so whether by any chance it is marked as 'Monitored'?  Just in case you are not aware the quickest way to check is to right click on the WSA notification tray icon and select 'Control Active Processes' from the context menu.  Once in the panel it should be easy enough to check for the above.

I await your response with interest.

Regards

Baldrick
Yes, support can contact me via emai.  I presume you know it. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yes, support can contact me via emai.  I presume you know it. :)
Yep - I'll put in a ticket for them to contact you - thanks!