Solved

version 8.0.2.109 stalling

• 19 February 2013
  • 23 replies

since this new release installed itself, when Webroot scans, it stalls at 81% and hangs there for several minutes. this is in the process of accessing the webroot cloud for doing a scan. it just sits there, and finally after seven minutes or so, it finishes. this scan usually takes less than three minutes, but now it takes over ten minutes. nothing has changed on my end, except the new webroot version. thanks.

note: if I run a second scan, it runs with no problem, I have a scan log, but don't see anyway to attache it.
icon

Best answer by Indyrod 23 February 2013, 20:57

View original

23 replies

Win 7 64-bit home premium, HP G62, 4g ram, I3 processor. 
Userlevel 7
Hello Indyrod, Welcome to the forums!

When it hangs at 81%, does the counter of files scanned go up or does it remain at the same number for the duration of the pause?  Sometimes long pauses are due to large cache, temporary files, or windows update files.  In the past, similar problems have been resolved by running the system cleaner before scanning to help remove these.

If running the system cleaner does not seem to help, you can also Submit a Trouble Ticket.  Scan log files cannot be attached here in the forums, but the support tech can give you instructions on sending it if they need to see it.  The tech support is staffed 24/7

With today being a holiday, there were no Webroot employees on the forums, but there should be one available tomorrow.
no, the counter freezes at 30,000+ files, and it doesn't appear to be doing anything, except the scanning with Webroot Secure Anywhere data base message, this is after it appears to scan all my files.  I keep my system pretty clean, and there is plenty of room on the HD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Indyrod and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Can you please do a clean reinstall? Uninstall reboot and download a fresh copy Here or if your using the Best Buy version and install and make sure you have a copy of your keycode as you will need it during install and please report back.

Thanks,

TH
since I have all ready renewed the Best Buy version a few months ago, is that still the one I reinstall with? thanks...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
since I have all ready renewed the Best Buy version a few months ago, is that still the one I reinstall with? thanks...
Yes but please use the link I posted above "Best Buy version." and download the latest version 8.0.2.109.

TH
Userlevel 7
As TripleHelix said, use the link for the Best Buy download as your key code will not work with the other download link. Let us know if it helps please!
this is like the beast you cannot kill.  I've tried everything I know, and that's 40 years in IT, and Webroot definitely does not like to get uninstalled.  I tried the Win 7 add/remove, the webroot uninstall, with Webroot stopped, and it just keeps showing me these cap pictures to type in a code, which I do, but the uninstall never executes.  I've searched Google, and tried different approaches, but even when I run the webroot uninstall in Administrative mode, it tells me I have to be in administrative mode. so, pretty hard to try to fix the problem, when webroot tells me one thing, and I do it, and it asks me again without anything happening.  I'm trying guys, but this thing is lodged in pretty tightly.
ok, persistence is the key, I got it uninstalled, but it won't accept my webroot key, which I just saved.  now what?  now I have no virus software, HELP!!!
I did double check my key code against the e-mail I received, and it is the same.  I did a ticket, but what is going on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Do you have your My Webroot Account setup to make sure your keycode is correct? If not and since you have the Best Buy version you can give them a call: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/land-bb-netbook-dl.html if that doesn't work a Webroot staff member will chime in.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Please try copy/pasting the alpha-numeric version of your keycode into the box when prompted instead of the alpha version. I have sent you a private message with this keycode.

Be sure to use the Best Buy Installer and that you copy/paste the alpha-numeric version of the keycode that I sent in a private message. :D 
yes, I did that all ready, the key code they sent me, is exactly the same as the one I saved before the uninstall.  what about using the other install program, instead of the Best Buy, since I did reup directly from webroot?
now what was my original problem, or yea, now we can see if its fixed.  thanks to MikeR for the solution with the key problem, so hopefully that fixes the 81% stalling problem.  in case you are interested, in my searching around, I found another person using webroot, that had the same 81% problem.  I never did see a solution, except wait for a fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
During install it does a scan if that finished you should be fine if you want to check for sure do a scan now and report back.

TH
ok, I'll do that tomorrow, because even when this problem started appearing, a second scan always worked without problem.  that's what was so strange, when I did do a manual (as opposed to scheduled) scan it had the problem, but a second immediate scan ran flawlessly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
At times during the auto-update to the next version some corruption can happen and the best thing to do is do a clean reinstall by uninstalling and rebooting and install. Also you mentioned you had difficulty uninstalling which gave me the notion of something not right. But please let us know tomorrow on the out come of your scheduled scan.

Best Regards,

TH
the problem with the uninstall may have just been me, I don't know.  I did everything it told me to do, all those darn cap screens and everything can be a little confusing and frustrating (which is probably the point 🙂 ).  that's probably why there are posts and web sites on uninstalling Webroot very plentiful on the Net.  I've got my fingers crossed the other problem is fixed, but from everything I've read, Webroot leaves its share of debris after an uninstall, so we'll see.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
...but from everything I've read, Webroot leaves its share of debris after an uninstall, so we'll see.
Please let us know if the main issue was resolved or not with the un/re.  If not, we'll want to investigate, assuming also that you followed the advice about clearing your temp files. ;)

Regarding leftovers after uninstalling, that is not the case with WSA (our antivirus offering from 2012 and up).  Having supported the prior incarnations, I can say the 2011 and prior versions would sometimes uninstall improperly.  For those, we have an uninstaller that can eliminate any remnants of 2011 and prior versions.  If you suspect an older version is still running on your computer, this knowledgebase article can help remove any remnants of older versions.
it's ran a couple times as scheduled, in less than two minutes, on around 3000 less files than before the u/r.  so not sure why it found less files.  so the timed runs are going fine, and soon I'll try a manual scan.

and yes Sir, I ran CCleaner and let it clean everything up.(that was after the WR scan, so don't draw any conclusions there).
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear that it's working fine now. ;)

Cheers,

TH
just ran a manual scan for the first time since the u/I, and it finished in about a minute.  hard to believe just unistalling and reinstalling would make that big of a difference.  anyway, it appears to be running quite a bit smother and much faster.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
just ran a manual scan for the first time since the u/I, and it finished in about a minute.  hard to believe just unistalling and reinstalling would make that big of a difference.  anyway, it appears to be running quite a bit smother and much faster.
Great to hear and most times a clean reinstall does fix things like this issue! ;)

TH