Solved

Vista Crashes after SMBR.1 removal.

• 10 July 2012
  • 3 replies

I've been having virus trouble for a week now.  I origonally had Norton running and after my 13 year old son had his friend come over to stay a couple days my computer started acting kinda wierd.  I would hear ocasionally music playing in the background or a commercial ad like I was listening to the radio.  Then it would stop for a few minutes or cut in and out.  I noticed my bandwidth on my DSL modem was being used even when I don't have any programs open.  So I started looking for other virus programs to scan my computer to figure this out.
I've tried PC Tools Spyware Doctor and found a couple virus's.  But the bandwith was still being used without my consent.  And ocassionally I would still hear commercial ads in the background.  I also tried AVG and Mcaffe without much luck.  So I did a search for Top Rated Virus software and came across WEBROOT.  I had to install it while in safe mode as I couldn't get anything to install while in normal mode.  After downloading the trial version of SecureAnywhere It did a Deep Scan and found SMBR.1 rootkit.  Thats it!  Now when I reboot the computer it comes up to my login screen and before I can click on the icon to login it crashes and reboots.  I'm in safe mode now so I can atleast get access to the internet. 
What do I do from here?
Thomas
icon

Best answer by HowardR 10 July 2012, 02:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi there backyardpower,

First of all I would like to welcome you to the Webroot Community :D We are happy to have you on-board, abeit not for such a happy reason. The good news is that you have made an excellent choice in choosing Webroot and we can definitely help you out and get your computer back up and running smoothly again.

It sounds like you unfortunately have what is called a Rootkit infection and are stuck in a loop. The easiest way for us to get this threat removed from your system and ensure that there are no other threats is for you to either  Submit a Support Ticket    
using another computer that has internet access or to call our Technical Support team at 1-866-612-4227 7 AM to 6 PM Mountain Time M - F and they will be able to assist you in removing the infection.

Thank you and we look forward to helping you,

Thanks!  That at least helps me get an idea of whats going on with my system.  I'll do a search and see if I can find anything about the SMBR.1 threat and if I can't find anything I will submitt a ticket.  
Thanks for your help.

Thomas
Userlevel 7
Hey backyardpower,

Rootkits are no fun and Howard is right: submitting a ticket is the best way to go in this case. And don't worry; our virus and malware removal is free for all of our customers. All you have to do is follow the aforementioned link and enter your email address and description of the issue at hand (categorize it as "Threat-Virus/Spyware Infection) and our Advanced Malware Removal team will quickly look into your case!