"Waiting for Extension Webroot Filtering Extension"

• 21 January 2015
  • 63 replies

Today, all of sudden - I haven't added a program or been an unsual website or any other strange behavior - Chrome has slowed down terribly. It takes minutes to get anywhere at all. Going to my router - 192.168.1.1 - takes a minute or more. What is stalling the browser - and frustrating me - is the "Waiting for Extension Webroot Filtering Extension". The only way I could use my browser is by disabling the extension in the browser.

This question has been posted and various answers/solutions have been offered. None seems convincing and nothing solves my problem. The last solution offered was in October. has Webroot fixed this issue? Thank you.

63 replies

I'm already using that extension.  I have the Webroot Filtering Extension with the checkbox, "All access to file URLs" checked.  I also have the Webroot Password Manager installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Again CrazyCharlie,

I just wanted to make sure you had the right webfilter extension for Chrome. I use Chrome and I'm not having any issues. Sorry we can't get this fixed without contacting support.:@

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The Beta testers are using a new version and it's working well so in time they will release the new Update soon to the Public!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hi - I hope the beta testers can release the new version soon. The slowdown with the Webroot Filtering Extension became so bad on my computer, even after taking the steps above for use with Chrome, that a few weeks ago I gave up and uninstalled Webroot, and am using another antivirus program. The first month of use of the other program is free, so I'm hoping that the Webroot issue will be solved by the time my month is up:-).

Incidentally, the computer on which I'm having this problem is an HP Envy, in case there's a possibility that the problem might be related to brand of computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Would you like to be a Beta Tester? Just post in here if you do: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/Looking-for-Webroot-Beta-testers/td-p/175350/page/7

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
I've been using Webroot for a few months and have debated if it's worth the cost, but thats another story.

i have the same interminable wait problem on the webroot filtering issue.  i looked and found i had both the filtering extension and the password manager.. i already use lastpass so i disabled both the filter and password mgr and my quick test on a few pages found no lag and the wait was gone.  So, for me at least, disabling the filter solved my issue..

i'll write again if i find other related problems but so far it's way better.

marty

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Rocdred,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

It's a shame that you aren't using Password Manager. This wouldn't cause a slow down I wouldn't think. Password Manager runs great on all my systems .

May I show you a KB article explaining how to https://community.webroot.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/WSA-AV/message-id/Transfer Lasspass to Password Manager? Just encase you are interested .

The Beta testers are using a new version and it's working well so in time they will release the new Update soon to the Public!

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Hi Rocdred

In your case I suspect that the issue is related to the Web Filtering extension and has nothing to do with the WSA Password Manager.  If you think about it....the Password Manager needs the details of the website being visited and if there is an issue with the Web Filter then it will not get the information that it needs in a timely fashion and hence appear to be slow.

As Sherry has correctly pointed out there is a new Web Threat Filtering extension being beta tested at this moment (I have it and it is working great on my systems) and hopefully that will be in the Release channel soon...so I would hold out a bit longer re. a decision as it would be a shame to throw away the chance to use one of, if not the best, security application available just because of one of the features not working ocrrectly and soon to be upgraded.

Regards, Baldrick
So I read the "ping this..." and "try another browser" , "disable the webfilter" but at the end of the day, Webroot has made money by selling us a product that has problems.  It's great that they are testing an "upgrade" but maybe they should have thought about testing the original product for problems.  

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund?  It would be my preferance to uninstall Webroot and go back to using a product we've been using for the past 15 years.    
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
So I read the "ping this..." and "try another browser" , "disable the webfilter" but at the end of the day, Webroot has made money by selling us a product that has problems.  It's great that they are testing an "upgrade" but maybe they should have thought about testing the original product for problems.  

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund?  It would be my preferance to uninstall Webroot and go back to using a product we've been using for the past 15 years.    
Our standard policy is to give you a refund within 70 days, but if you're having ongoing issues with the product beyond that date then I'm sure we could sort out a refund for you.   Sorry that this has been such an ongoing problem issue - I've been pestering escalations about it and will continue to do so!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also, we just released an updated version of the web filter today - can you try the sites that were giving you problems and let us know if you're still seeing slowdowns?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Also, we just released an updated version of the web filter today - can you try the sites that were giving you problems and let us know if you're still seeing slowdowns?
Do you have the version number of the new Web Filter?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's 1.1.0.57

It'll update for everyone over the next 36 hours.  If you uninstall and reinstall that will force an update to the new version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
How about the Driver will it be active for Consumers?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No that still isn't live yet - this is just an update of the existing extension.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Awesome! 😃
I reinstalled Webroot just now, and went to about 6 different websites, and so far, so good - no "waiting for extension webroot filtering extension".  So maybe you got it fixed!  Yay!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's great to hear and I assume you have the new Web Filter 1.1.0.57?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Is it possible to get that beta to install?  I have the same issue with three different browsers on Windows 7.
Usually DNS requests never even get issued becuse the extension is stalling the process.
Userlevel 7
You need to put in a request to Nic for access...but would say that use of the beta is really for testsing purposes and not to resolve an issue you have ahead of the release of the fix or feature through the release channel.  

A beta that goes wrong can seriously affect your system and so should not be use on main systems unless if running under a VM or with rollback facilities.

Regards, Baldrick
HOW DO I STOP my computer asking do I want to add extention?  I don't want to see this request everytime I boot up.

I don't want this mess of problems you have listed.  It even warns me I could have problems.

Poor work by software & test teams and the managers leading Webroot. 

Userlevel 7
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot community.

Are you experiencing this on a Mac or Windows machine?

Also, what browser are you experiencing this issue on>

Please respond to this conversation and I would be happy to investigate this issue for you and assist any way that I can.

Best Regards,

Thanks for your reply.
It is a PC windows with Explorer.  I'm not sure how to determine the version.
My computer boots up now with this extension and warning that it can cause problem.
My computer is now signifciantly slow. 
Help appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
It is a PC windows with Explorer.  I'm not sure how to determine the version.
My computer boots up now with this extension and warning that it can cause problem.
My computer is now signifciantly slow. 
Help appreciated!
You can disable the extension to check possible difference for you, via Tools(gear cog top RH of Internet Explorer)>Manage Add-ons.  
Best option if you're seeing excessive slowdown would be to Submit a Support Ticket  and perhaps a clean install may help. 

Let us know of any questions, or if we can provide any further info. Thanks.

I have just installed Webroot SecureAnywhere two days ago and I have finally disabled the Webroot Filtering Extension.  I found this posting but nothing about it being fixed (sorry if I missed it) in over two months!

I thought I did my research on which product to install and now I feel like I'm back in the early 90s with Norton!

Please fix this!