Solved

Web filtering gone

• 24 February 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I recently downgraded from Complete to Antivirus (didn't use/need the extras) by simply entering my new keycode. All went fine. Last night, I accidentally added a potentially malicious URL to the whitelist, then discovered the only way I could remedy this was by doing a reinstall. Since doing so, my Web Filtering browser extensions have disappeared, as well as the wrUrl folder, as seen in TripleHelix's https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/New-interface-web-site-list/m-p/59903#M1822.

Is this expected behaviour?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 24 February 2014, 18:15

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I recently downgraded from Complete to Antivirus (didn't use/need the extras) by simply entering my new keycode. All went fine. Last night, I accidentally added a potentially malicious URL to the whitelist, then discovered the only way I could remedy this was by doing a reinstall. Since doing so, my Web Filtering browser extensions have disappeared, as well as the wrUrl folder, as seen in TripleHelix's post.

No it isn't can you please try a clean reinstall with a Reboot in between and then let us know? And you can remove the entry on the Whitelist without the need of reinstall.

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I recently downgraded from Complete to Antivirus (didn't use/need the extras) by simply entering my new keycode. All went fine. Last night, I accidentally added a potentially malicious URL to the whitelist, then discovered the only way I could remedy this was by doing a reinstall. Since doing so, my Web Filtering browser extensions have disappeared, as well as the wrUrl folder, as seen in TripleHelix's https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/New-interface-web-site-list/m-p/59903#M1822.

No it isn't can you please try a clean reinstall with a Reboot in between and then let us know? And you can remove the entry on the Whitelist without the need of reinstall.

Thanks,

TH
I tried to remove the entry from the whitelist after closing down Webroot but I kept getting a message about the file being open in another program. I'll do as you suggested, i.e. clean install with reboot in between then post back here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's does sound strange as I just tried and when I removed it I click the Red X and it asks me to save or not save so I click save and closes and goes back to 0kb and the Website is blocked again and that's without turning off WSA. What do you have running with WSA or WSA alone?

TIA,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
That's does sound strange as I just tried and when I removed it I click the Red X and it asks me to save or not save so I click save and closes and goes back to 0kb and the Website is blocked again and that's without turning off WSA. What do you have running with WSA or WSA alone?

TIA,

Daniel
It asked me to save too, but when I tried to overwrite the existing file I got the message I described. I'm running WSA alone, by the way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You turned off WSA before you tried and I didn't and got no message we know it opens in Notepad I wonder if Explorer.exe is keeping it from saving? Do you have UAC on as I don't also I run as Admin always how about you? We are running the same OS so I would like to see the differences.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
You turned off WSA before you tried and I didn't and got no message we know it open in Notepad I wonder if Explorer.exe is keeping it from saving? Do you have UAC on as I don't also I run as Admin always how about you?

Daniel
I do have UAC on, yes.

The clean install with a reboot did the trick - filtering extensions are now present in Firefox and IE. The main difference I noticed with this install is I received no option to transfer my settings, whereas I did when reinstalling last night to remove the whitelist entry. Anyway, all is well now. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
You turned off WSA before you tried and I didn't and got no message we know it open in Notepad I wonder if Explorer.exe is keeping it from saving? Do you have UAC on as I don't also I run as Admin always how about you?

Daniel
I do have UAC on, yes.

The clean install with a reboot did the trick - filtering extensions are now present in Firefox and IE. The main difference I noticed with this install is I received no option to transfer my settings, whereas I did when reinstalling last night to remove the whitelist entry. Anyway, all is well now. Thanks!
The Importing of settings could be the problem but I can't be sure as I never do save settings but it's always good not to import settings if one is having issues so if you have other issues later try not to import settings as I see it there's not many setting to change in the 2014 version compared to the 2013 version.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel
I do have UAC on, yes.

The Importing of settings could be the problem but I can't be sure as I never do save settings but it's always good not to import settings if one is having issues so if you have other issues later try not to import settings as I see it there's not many setting to change in the 2014 version compared to the 2013 version.

Cheers,

Daniel ;)
It's certainly the last time I'll use the import feature. Anyway, thanks again for the help 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Just to show, this is what I see when I try to save the WhiteList.txt file. I found that opening an elevated instance of Notepad allowed me to save the file.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And I don't get this message no UAC and I run as Admin so when elevated you are able to that's great to hear.

Daniel