Web Shield breaks Windows Task Manager and Chrome 63 Beta

• 10 December 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
I have noticed recently that opening the Windows task manager while running Chrome 63.0.3239.84 Beta completely freezes the mouse and computer. Keyboard inputs take about one to two minutes to register. Turning off extensions and running in incognito mode does not help. The new site isolation feature is turned off. The only fix is turning off Webroot's Web Shield and Identity Protection. I am running WIndows 10 Build 1709 on an i7 2630qm based notebook.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

It would be best if you Submit a Support Ticket so they can look at your specific issue.

Daniel
I've already opened a ticket on this issue. The OP is not alone.

I've uninstalled Webroot until this issue is resolved. In the meantime, beware. Opening Windows Task Manager with Webroot active may potentially result in requiring a hard boot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ @ are you stilling having the issue with the new release of Google Chrome? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Google-Chrome-63-0-3239-84-Stable/td-p/308322

I'm not seeing any issue of the released version of Chrome 63.

I'm not, but that's because once I confirmed Webroot was the issue, I uninstalled it. It took long enough to confirm Webroot was the culprit and I had no interest in wasting more time on it. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have passed on a note to our Web filtering team as well. 

Thanks
Pawani

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ and @ are you still having issues with the newer version of Chrome? Still no issues here.

Userlevel 1
The problem still persists in Chrome 63 beta, and now in Chrome 64 Beta. I dislike hard resetting my computer, so I am giving up. I have been informed that Webroot does not support beta software, which is sensible, if unfortunate.
@ wrote:
@ and @ are you still having issues with the newer version of Chrome? Still no issues here.

Since I've uninstalled Webroot, everything has been just fine. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The problem still persists in Chrome 63 beta, and now in Chrome 64 Beta. I dislike hard resetting my computer, so I am giving up. I have been informed that Webroot does not support beta software, which is sensible, if unfortunate.
True as I always use the release versions and ever since Google is forcing Webroot to post there Extensions on the Google Chrome store and there could be more going on behind the scenes that we might not know of. :@

Web Filter Shield: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

Password Manager: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-password-manager/ngkhgikojglcgnckopipfdajaifmmnnc?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Since I've uninstalled Webroot, everything has been just fine. 
I assume your not going to install WSA again?
@ wrote:
I assume your not going to install WSA again?
I'm not really seeing the upside in returning to WSA. Frankly, this issue was less aggravating than the "random scans that freeze my virtual machines during peak productivity hours" that were supposed to happen only within an hour of 3am. And this one was pretty **bleep** aggravating.
I also really, really dislike the pseudo-email support mechanism. It's pointless and user-hostile.
So yeah, I'm probably not going to re-install it.
Userlevel 1
The extensions are not the source of the problem. I tested Chrome 63 Beta alone with all extensions off in incognito and kiosk mode, meaning no user profile, and no customizations of any kind.
Userlevel 1
Just a quick update. I found a provisional workaround. Under advanced settings -> access control, disable 'protect against process tampering' and 'protect against process termination.' I imagine this seriously weakens the product, but it also means that I can continue checking my webdev against Chrome beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Just a quick update. I found a provisional workaround. Under advanced settings -> access control, disable 'protect against process tampering' and 'protect against process termination.' I imagine this seriously weakens the product, but it also means that I can continue checking my webdev against Chrome beta.
Interesting! Development should be aware of your work around! @
Userlevel 1
Turning off web shield seemed to help, but was likely just placebo. The actual fix to input freezing is turning off the process protections. The problem could be reproduced in 9.0.18.38 and 9.0.18.44. I did not test earlier versions.
My fix is simple. Go to https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/process-explorer-portable and install. Open it up and go the the Options menu and choose 'Replace Task Manager' and 'Run at Logon'. You might need to run the program as Administrator initially to do so but it opens up with no delay when you click on Task Manager and I have Identity Shield and Web Shield back on. Can't really see a downside and it has more features if you need them as an advanced user. More info here - https://appuals.com/task-manager-vs-process-explorer/

Hope this helps with the frustration for some of you until they resolve the issue!