Web Threat Shield on Firefox

• 1 February 2015
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a peculiar issue.  I purchased Webroot SecureAnywhere for three devices.  I have it installed on two different laptops I own, but the web threat shield seems to only work on my older, non-preferred laptop.  The Web Threat shield seems to be enabled on both PCs.  Details follow.

Older PC
SecureAnywhere v8.0.6.44
Firefox version 35.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64 bit

Web Threat Shield seems to work - search results show a dark green circle with a check mark, light green circle with a checkmark, yellow circle with a dash or orange circle with an exclamation point.

New PC
SecureAnywhere v8.0.6.44
Firefox version 35.0.1
Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Web Threat Shield doesn't show me any of the icons for search results. 

Most concerning is that I initially was blocked from visiting a page from a weather forecaster I follow on Facebook.  It shows as an orangle circle with an exclamation point.  Webroot listed it as a suspicious threat, "This is a suspicious site. There is a higher than average probability that you will be exposed to malicious links or payloads."  My new PC which I love and adore allowed me to connect to the page without issues. 

I am hoping someone way smarter than me can help.  If it serves any purpose, the website I was denied access to was http://illinoisstormchasers.com/.  As I said, orange circle with an exclamation point, so proceed with caution.  The owner of the page indicated he was seeing nothing nefarious with his site, details on why Webroot considers it malicious would be a nice bonus. 

The biggest thing though - I want to make sure my shiny, new Ferrari of a laptop is protected from mailicious websites and I fear it may not be currently.

Many thanks!

61 replies

Userlevel 2
Dan when these files are whitelisted are they deleted automatically from my WRdata folder?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No but after a Scan you can delete the db.numbers.db files.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

I recall that way back one of the Webrooter's explained where to look in the Registry for the association of each db.nnnnnn.db file with file path of the app that it refers to...but I cannot find it any more.

I will look again and if I find it I will distribute the information in the PUG.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's to much work for the average user but once the files are whitelisted and do a scan then one can delete the db.numbers.db files nice and simple untill they get it fixed again with Self Cleaning of old Monitoring Data files.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
You are most likely right but personally I do like to try to work out exactly what the .db files relate to before I delete them.

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Is it normal to find a db file in WRData folder that isn't in the Scan Log?
I just ran a new scan log and saved it to the Desktop. Then I search for a large DB file that was residing in the WRData folder, in this log but found nothing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes once they are whitelisted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi SG,

I just verified that it will work.  I checked my WRDATA directory and it had no numbered files.  I deliberately ran an install  file that I knew it would pick up and sure enough when I looked in WRDATA there were two new numbered files.  I saved a scan log and looking toward the bottom of the file, it had both files identified by name and path.

So I would guess as has been said already, if they have been whitelisted it will not pick them up to be monitored.

Best regards,
Dave

Edit: Tip: only use the number when searching the scan log, not the db in front or the extension.
Userlevel 2
Daniel, Thanks for the info...I'll delete it.
DJ...are you saying you normally have no numbered db files? I don't think I've ever had none in my WRData folder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
SG,
I do have them occasionally, but usually it is only when I install utility type apps that access or otherwise impact the OS, hard drive, and etc.  I can just about tell you when I am going to have them show up and it is almost always when I install one of these utilities.  Other than that, my WRDATA directory is usually pretty clean and consistently has the same number of files.

Dave 
Userlevel 4
Is there any 'sign' of the update to clear old data. V9 it isn't, afaik.
I have 2.5GB now.