Solved

webpage scanning slows down browsing

Userlevel 7
Hi,

WSA scans webpages and it slows down browsing. Is there anything the devs team can do to speed up browsing in the upcoming release without compromising security and the obvious disabling web protection?

Best Wishes,
Amit
icon

Best answer by pegas 10 April 2013, 16:59

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
It shouldn't be slowing down your browsing, if anything it should increase performance. Have you tried a clean uninstall/reinstall of SecureAnywhere?

You can use this link for the Reinstall: Webroot SecureAnywhere for the PC
Userlevel 7
You can also make sure your browsers are not being blocked within the Identity Shield.

Open SecureAnywhere>click Identity & Privacy>click View/Edit Protected Applications>change trusted browsers to Protect/Allow
Userlevel 7
Hi Amit,

I have to second Mike. Browsing speed with WSA is incomparably faster than with NIS, at least my experience says. You can also check the Active Processes under System Tools -> System Control whether your browser is Allowed. If it is only Monitored, Blocked I don't suppose to be the case because you wouldn't be able to run your browser at all, please change it to Allow.

If nothing proves to be succesful, you may open a support ticket to let engineers collect your logs and try to troubleshoot your issue.
Userlevel 7
I have been using WSA since the Beta and it has never slowed any of my browsers down (Chrome/FF/IE/Opera). When you say it slows down browsing does it get progressively worse or is it slow at the same level regardless of time elapsed?
Userlevel 7
@MikeR
Yes I've tried that. I've now installed a fresh new WSA after restoring an image. But to no avail. And Firefox is allowed in ID Shield.
Userlevel 7
If you submit a troubleshooting ticket I can send you a diagnostic tool and I can have a look at exactly what WSA is doing.
Userlevel 7
@pegas
Browser is allowed in system control.

I was hoping it could be solved here in the community.
Userlevel 7
@Rakanisheu
It's slow at the same level.
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
@
Browser is allowed in system control.

I was hoping it could be solved here in the community.
Please follow Roy's suggestion and open a ticket (a link in my previous post). It's the fastest way to get your issue resolved. It can be just question of whitelisting of some processes in the cloud what can be done only via the support system.
Userlevel 7
As faras  I understand, every AV with web protection feature/modules will scan webpages loaded for malware and other threats. WSA also does that. I agree with @pegas WSA scans webpages relatively faster than other solutions like NIS. But it still slows down browsing than if there was no WSA.  I know it has to do it. But since Webroot is always looking to be the fastest, lightest and most effective solution I thought it fit to make browsing even faster.

I've checked it over time. It does slow down browsing. Anyone can test it. A clean system without any AV or WSA and browse. Now when browsed in a pc with WSA or an AV browsing is slow.

Best Wishes,
Amit
Userlevel 7
I`ll test it now, I`ll post my results shortly
Userlevel 7
@Rakanisheu
Can we do it here?
Userlevel 7
@pegas
Oh no support ticket is not that fast. The ticket gets updated every 24 hours. Here I get a reply within seconds. I wanna solve it here. Don't wanna wait. That's why I've left malwarebytes helpdesk for its forum and always prefer Wilders Forum to any support ticket.
Userlevel 7
Amit, thanks for the clarification. Now I understand where your concern lies. I thought that you have a specific issue with the browsing speed.
Userlevel 7
@Rakanisheu
Okay.
Userlevel 7
@pegas
Oh I don't have any specific prob issue with browsing. I have a general issue with browsing in presence of an AV. And I wanna address the issue particularly of WSA because it's the best solution and should not act like any other AV.
Userlevel 7

@Amit wrote:
@
Oh no support ticket is not that fast. The ticket gets updated every 24 hours. Here I get a reply within seconds. I wanna solve it here. Don't wanna wait. That's why I've left malwarebytes helpdesk for its forum and always prefer Wilders Forum to any support ticket.
Amit, I beg to differ. The support system is live 24/7, belive me I have rich experiences, in case of Webroot it's really fast.

EDIT: Roy has suggested you to open a ticket, if you do that, Roy can access the ticketing system, look at logs collected from your system when applying the ticket and send you a diagnostic tool. After you run this tool, you send report back to the support where Roy can check what's going on and resolve your issue, if any problem related to WSA is diagnosed.
Userlevel 7
I honestly cant see any difference. Here is the setup I am testing (and on two seperate PC`s on two seperate networks)

On all PC`s I am using Firefox 20 with the following addons (bar BT)

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
Betterprivacy
DoNotTrackMe
Facebook Disconnect
Ghostery
Firebug
Google Disconnect
Flashblock

Win XP SP3 with no AV at all
Win 7 32bit with MSE
Win 7 64bit with WSAE
Win Vista SP2 with WSA
Backtrack linux (no using any addons)

I have used a mix of protect and allow in the browser options in WSA. Ping times are stable, using one of my favourite sites the load time is pretty much flat across the board. Even on my creaky old laptop its no worse. WSA is using less than 5 mb of memory on my work laptop with no CPU spikes on either of my PC`s. My tests arent exactly scientific I will admit but I have used a number of different setups and I cant replicate the problem. At this stage I would advise collecting some logs, I can send you the diagnostic tool if you want.
Userlevel 7
RAM usage and CPU is normal at my end also. Hmm.....could be my heuristics settings. Because now that I've seen your results I tried to see it again. This time with heuristics lowered than the usually high settings. Little difference. I cannot understand because web threat shield should be responsible not heuristics. But there is internet setting in heuristics.
Userlevel 7
@pegas The support is extremely good. The people there are very friendly and precise to the point. They know their stuff. But response time is not good. From midnight Friday to noon Monday support ticket don't get updated. Then comes the once a day reply.
Userlevel 7
Amit, if WebShield detects a website that may be a threat, it opens an alert that allows you to decide whether you want to block the site or continue despite the warning. When you use a search engine, this shield analyzes all the links on the search results page and then displays an image next to each link that signifies whether it’s a trusted site or a potential risk. Furthermore WebShield blocks suspicious files that try to download. However heuristics cares for all files being accessed.

Userlevel 7
Thats not true, we have support all around the world (I`m based in the European HQ) and we have people working the weekend.And since we have people in OZ we can work on tickets pretty much 24/7.

Btw If you had submitted a ticket I could have looked diagnostic logs hours ago 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Btw If you had submitted a ticket I could have looked diagnostic logs hours ago :D
Yeah, I had already suggested him.
Userlevel 7
@pegas Okay I understand. Best Wishes, Amit
Userlevel 7
@Rakanisheu Okay I'll open a ticket if I notice slow down again. Thank you. Best Wishes, Amit