Webroot always kills 'allowed processes'

• 4 September 2018
  • 10 replies

Frustratingly, even if you allow a file in "allow files", the process is still randomly killed and has been for years. Webroot online support keeps directing me to phone, which is closed today anyway.

It's just insanely frustrating that webroot users can't allow specific processes  to run, especially when they're as beign as a deliberately run coin miner.

This applies to anything detected, even false positives, however.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Who is telling you to use the phone during a weekend and holiday? It's always best to Submit a Support Ticket as they can see the files you are having issues with and can get them white-listed if need be and they are staffed 24/7/365.

HTH,

@ wrote:
Who is telling you to use the phone during a weekend and holiday? It's always best to Submit a Support Ticket as they can see the files you are having issues with and can get them white-listed if need be and they are staffed 24/7/365.
That would be the people handling support tickets. They also keep reminding me that nobody at Webroot support can handle anything outside of business hours, Monday-Friday in every ticket response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:

@ wrote:
That would be the people handling support tickets. They also keep reminding me that nobody at Webroot support can handle anything outside of business hours, Monday-Friday in every ticket response.
Sorry but that's not true, the Ticket is the best way to get things like this sorted out the fastest!
Webroot Support keeps sending the same generic response that I'm to call no matter what information I include in a ticket. They're refusing to do anything online, phones are closed, so I posted here.

But since you don't believe me, fine, I'll post the ticket responses even though I'm probably not supposed to, because I'm probably just going to get rid of webroot once and for all because of the unprofessional support. I've been trying to get webroot to fix this ever since it started, many years ago, and support has been completely unwilling to help or listen.

This board software is very strange and doesn't support bbcode, markdown, or anything else to include sane quoting besides HTML.

Me:
It's still occuring even after reinstall, as it has for years.

Them:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support.

Our apologies for any inconvenience. For the issue you are reporting, we would like to work with you directly over the phone to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Webroot’s US hours of availability are 7AM – 5PM MST, Monday through Friday at 1-866-612-4227.

For contact information in other countries, click here. When the Contact Us page opens, click the tab for the country that works best for you.

Sincerely,

The Webroot Support Team

Me:
The phone lines were already closed when that was suggested. The problem is pretty simple, webroot detects various things, in my case, NicehashLegacyMiner.exe, xmr-stak.exe. These get restored and added to 'allowed files'. Even though they're in 'allowed files', and 'allowed' is marked next to each, if these programs run, after a seemingly random amount of time (seconds, minutes, or hours), webroot kills the relevant processes without warning or any way to opt out, despite them already being excluded.

Them: Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support.

Our apologies for any inconvenience. For the issue you are reporting, we would like to work with you directly over the phone to resolve this as quickly as possible. Our phone center is open now and we would like to assist you as directly as possible for what you are reporting.

Webroot’s US hours of availability are 7AM – 5PM MST, Monday through Friday. Please let us know your phone number, your time zone, and the best time frame to reach you during our hours so that we may contact you by phone.

Alternatively, you may call us at 1-866-612-4227 during normal business hours.

For international contact information, click here. When the Contact Us page opens, click the tab for the country that works best for you.

Sincerely,

The Webroot Support Team
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Very sad and not right at all! 😞 I will ping the Community Manager and he will look into this for you tomorrow @

Sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
When I send in a Support Ticket they are always nice to me.

I tried many other times to contact support (which don't show up for whatever reason). A simple whitelisting of files won't help much as it's Potentially Unwanted Applications. Webroot shouldn't be killing files that are explicitly allowed by the user, as it affects really random false positives (such as during software development) as well.

I had an entire year's subscription lapse while Webroot support ignored me from day 1. Only reason I tried it again is that my bank is giving it away, and many other antiviruses are extremely heavy-weight and are starting to have serious issues, like totally hanging the system for minutes while a file is analyzed, with spinning drives (HDDs) because it's so expected that everyone has at least one SSD nowadays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Either wait for Drew tomorrow or call Webroot support (tomorrow) and see what they have to say to you.

Again sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ I was talking with the team about this and they will reach out to you personally and will work with you from there. 

Thanks 

Support figured out a workaround, but it didn't last long, and WSA is overriding the default secure desktop settings, and they want me to call again.

I give up. WSA is just having too many problems and lowering system security. I can't condone its usage by anyone for any reason.