Webroot and comodo internet security lastet version 7.xxx

Userlevel 2
Hi guys of beloved comunity as i say ou and i am dont presuntous i have a new flamant computer and i want the best security i have webroot and toolwiz combo but it dont virtualizes good the softwares of the research center where i work only comodo internet security virtualizes it good and mantain operationally whithout make system changues. The other virtualization software includes toolwiz and webroot sandbox made changues or have to reinstall the app every time i want to use. Comodo´s virtual kiosk let me stay that installations here and insolated totally insolated. I dont critic webroot i have install in all my home machine but in the mine have more virtualization needs, because i live in mexico and  that software are of questionable procedence, maybe malicious, maybe etc. I am very sad because webroot works well on my machine, no one fp, no one slow down, and webfilter of deluxe, but... That the cuestion... And how can i configure webroot  to alongside whith comodo because i like webroot desinfect capabiities and audit programs and all U_U really i am very sad, my computer are slow, and not have capabilities to run other os like xp on virtualbox or vmware. i dont want to get rid webroot from my computer but i need comodo virtual kiosk. Please help and i read in your coments i am obssesed whith combos that not the chase because i install webroot on office and home alone, but in the research center presents that situation. I hope understand and do your best and if some one are use this combo whith comodo newest version or have exp please tell me u_u i see av test and av comparatives comodo are of questionable reputation in this last and in av test i see have poor desinfection capabilities pllease help really i am sad

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

Hope that you are well?

You just do not seem to be able to settle on your security software, and seem determined to use a combo...well, as has already been advised in another thread on a similar topic, in terms of WSA you should make sure that it is whitelisted/excluded in the other AV/IS app (I am assuming that Comodo has this feature?  I do not know and will not use their software personally).

And then make sure that you do the same for the other security app (Comodo, in this case).  In other words you should register all the main elements of Comodo under 'Block/Allow Files' (click on gear/cog to the right of the PC Security tab, and then click on the System Control tab in the next panel, and then the 'Start' button in the Control Active Processes section of the panel displayed) and make sure that WSA is not Blocking the same items/components...switch to 'Allow' if required.

Then under 'Control Active Processes' you need to check that WSA is not Monitoring or Blocking the same items/components (click on gear/cog to the right of the Utilities tab, and then click on the System Control tab.  In the next panel displayed click on the 'Start' button under the 'Control Active Processes' section of the panel, and look for the components, etc.).

A word of caution...do make sure that you are absolutely sure that the components you set to 'Allow' are legitimate/safe before you do so.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Baldrick
No i am not well i am really sad i see the desinfection capabilityes of comodo are nule and then cause some system crashes and too many errors, i see it in other computers, and usb shield, comodo dont have, and detect by fp corrupt files who are bad copied by usb. Webroot was great in 3 computers stand alone all my family are happy and in the office (School iam teacher) they love webroot. In my personal chase i try whith several system virtualization ligth software the only one i think does the work i need are shadow defender because i can start on shadow defender and discard changues when i want, deep freeze too. That software are for qualitative analisis, are portable apps whith a licence embebed thats licences cost more than 1500 us i think is suspicious they give us an installer whith licence embebed in a simple cd or usb. I think thats apps are bad but are for my daily use. Maxqda, Atlas ti , In vivo, etc. I dont belive in this class of licences embebed. I have a vademecum cd and a winmax cd. Vademecum have licence embebed, and winmax (previous maxqda) not have but you can call to us and they send a key file or wirte a e mail (moe quickly the call) obviously i have winmax but are a 8 bits app and dont works on 64 bits os. My cpu dont support hards virtualitation and that program are to manage text and long information, systematize code, exports to excel (I am dont anounce it) imagine run in a virtual machine when i have to wirte in word the product of my analizis, and imagine always have the cpu to 80 or 50% i have an original xp and winmax works here and maxqda too but the virtualization are too heavy to me, more than a ps2 game emulator. In mexico the piratery are very extended and include in the goverment offices are pirate software, and they distribute to students and damage machines. For example changue disk letters, adds extrange icons to disk, adds autoruns inf, adds nomerous files  on C: drive who god knows what that do. Toolwiz was bypassed.  I am sad really sad.

Ok excuse me to long explain but i want to expess my concern and my sad

I dont know how to quote or insert images and maybe that helps  i answer your answer (cacofonic) quote you. 

First the CPU consumtion dont elevate too much only from 6 % to 10 on idle and 20 % on browsing and a 10% using every ms app except office. On videos stays at 30% and DVDS 50 % on scaning whith webroot and comodo  (first one and then other ) 40 and 85 % i dont see too much at 10 % diference before install comodo and webroot combo. I think thats good ñ_ñ (happy icon)

Second i see a similar topic and i only see the guy changues comodo to bd and the comunity mate says the only exclusion must be in comodo firewall to allow webroot conection I think its useless.

Third i am spanish speaker and What in the hell are "settle" and "gear cog" (I suppous that was engranage icon)

Now i will answer quote your paragraphs and my answers

"Quote you say: You just do not seem to be able to settle on your security software, and seem determined to use a combo...well, as has already been advised in another thread on a similar topic, in terms of WSA you should make sure that it is whitelisted/excluded in the other AV/IS app (I am assuming that Comodo has this feature?  I do not know and will not use their software personally)."

IAnswer I see in the comodos complex menu (they are all except comfortable and easy to use) ( In spanish comodo means comfortable and komodo means a lizzard called komodo dragon their icon) and see a section called trusted vendors and see the webroot entry.

"Quote you say: And then make sure that you do the same for the other security app (Comodo, in this case).  In other words you should register all the main elements of Comodo under 'Block/Allow Files' (click on gear/cog to the right of the PC Security tab, and then click on the System Control tab in the next panel, and then the 'Start' button in the Control Active Processes section of the panel displayed) and make sure that WSA is not Blocking the same items/components...switch to 'Allow' if required.

Ok you say i open webroot and in pc security engranage search for process active task or in the tray icon select the same option, and see webroot dont block comodo process.  I  dont see comodo process. In the first time because the computer are working hard for other reazons (are power on all the day ripping movies),  webroot dont let me add comodo process but then i close webroot and open it again and it let me do it i go to comodo folder on program files and search all icons aprently .exe extension and all who are used by that sute and ad and set allow. but i dont know if any other components must be added i like to show you a screen shot but i dont know how.

"Quote you say:  Then under 'Control Active Processes' you need to check that WSA is not Monitoring or Blocking the same items/components (click on gear/cog to the right of the Utilities tab, and then click on the System Control tab.  In the next panel displayed click on the 'Start' button under the 'Control Active Processes' section of the panel, and look for the components, etc.)."

I dont understand thath i put on Italic and ________ Monitoring or blocking the same active process? I go to utilities click on engranage check control active task and dont see any supervised or blocked process. Am i doing by rigth way?  and  do i have to add the same comodo process?

I think that process are legitime are comodo (ok its dont guarantee nothing jeje)

In comodo i excluse entire wsa from av realtime scan and sheduled scans

I create a rule on the firewall and set wsa process as windows system app

I check hips rules wsa as a system apication tool

I exclude from behavior shield

On firewall  i put wrsa (Sorry for bad typing) as a windows system application

On trusted vendors i check and see webroot inc

On unrecognised files wrsa dont appears i reestart 3 times (Sometimes comodo detects untrusts apps by this way and dont detect webroot) 

Finally i add wrsa.exe to trusted files and add too the entire folders and anothers files from webroot are added first i have a crash whith webroot and comodo dont save the modifications but affter reestart everythingcan be do it

Comodo has ha av, a firewall, and a hips, and behavior shield, who are very tougth but i think that exclusions are good. The perfomance are good but...

Dont know what comodo files add to exclusions on webroot maybe it wil appears in process monitor and the another section you tell me when it will be used.

As i say you is frustrating and tell me do you belive some one give you in a usb a program who are valuated on 1500 USD whith a licence embebed?

I dont think so here on México you see windows ue windows blue windows pirate seven windows master collection windows teu. See too toefl guides on cd  English whitout barriers and another program who test your english who are too expensive, see dragon naturally speaking and  the institutions give to us at the risk of our computers. See avast pro pirate, kaspersky in everyhouse now i am promoted webroot trials and promote the broncos giveaway while it are availbe, to my clients ( Teacher, informatic, and sociologist and researcher). And they are very happy and their companies goes better obviously  i dont ask money, but i am the "encargado" (i dont know how to say in spanish)  the one who have to see the computer of my mother boss, my own boss, my researchers mates, my mates, my family, etc. 

I hate that situation and hope webroot soon dessing a virtual enviorment like virtual kiosk from comodo because is a virtual ligthweigth enviorment or a system as a shadow defender or deep freeze. Do you imagine that? It will be great, incredible and much reliable. 

I know in us and spain the piratery are several coneded but in mexico no, and that affects the personal users home users who have to finish the work in their homes put at risk their own compuers and who pays the repairs?

I am sociologist you know and express that ideas but, i am sociologist and can critic that. I am sociologist i like comodo philosophy but not their products. I dont say more about that because its not the place, but as i say you i see you as a friend a mate who helps me whith my cuestions who teach me and who i want to conribute to you (Maybe never in this way if you want some of sociology or some of windows support maybe but.. in webroot you are more expert than me and i think i never can walk on your side, but i hope so)

Thanks for answer me and reading me you are great God Bless you now i will say GBY

Userlevel 7
Well, aktiffk

Where to start with a reply?  'Settle' was being used as an alternative for 'Decide'...you do not seem to be able to decide on the security application to use.  'Gear/Cog'...you are correct...the translation would be 'Engrenage'. ;)

You seem to have done all that you can with regard to registering WSA in Comodo and registering Comodo in WSA.  They should get on well together as WSA is designed to work well with other security apps, like Comodo.  And whilst you cannot be sure that you have all the bits of Comodo registered in WSA if you have most then as you discover others you can make sure they are registered too.

With regard to your question about "WSA is not Monitoring or Blocking the same items/components" you did go to the right place to look so if you did not find anything then there was nothing to 'Allow'...but if ever you have an issue with something not being allowed then this is one of the places to look.  To help you with understanding the difference with all these settings and the differnent places to look and find them, please read this Knowledge Base Article.

However, I will honest tell you...once more...that you really do not need to run more than one main security app like WSA or Comodo, together...you are well protected by just one (and of course I will say that WSA is better than Comodo...but that is my view).  I really thinkthat staying with just one main application will save you a lot of trouble and time.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Really i think esa are better than cómodo asni say only delete files but no other través of infection i use it for the ligth virtual desktop to maintain my system free of that suspicious Apps some one on cómodo will give me a Shadow defender licence i hope so and stay webroot alone as i say you cómodo virtualization dont bypass and sa dont bypass too iwant to back to mybperfomance and Security go to sleep bro god bless you
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

OK, well if you prefer Eset then that is fine...and that should play well with WSA...if you are absolutely determined to go down the path of the combo.  That is very much your right to do. ;)

In terms of virtualisation it seems that you either need to use a full virtualisation app, such as VMWare (which is free) or use rollback/imaging applications.  Now I have not used Shadow Defender but I understand that it is well thought of.  Perhaps one of the other Community members have some experience of this and can advise how well it works with WSA?

I personally use something different...an app called AX64 Time Machine (it is new and still evolving) which allows me to take full and then incremental images and then restore to any past increment very quickly, whilst in Windows.  I cannot say more about this as it would be off topic and not within Community rules.

Sufficent to say that I think that yo are on the right track with WSA only plus something like Shadow Defender or AX64 Time Machine.  That sort of set up will be so much lighter than a WSA + other security app combo...in my humble opinion.

Good luck with the search of a Shadow Defender license...I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Hey hey i am very excited and want to wirte you i am entered from umbra one webroot combos tester you can use virtual kiosk whitout cómodo av i am vleaning machine and tell you resultan
Userlevel 2
Hello baldrick i am happy now umbra from malwaretips give me the beat solution to my problem but i still have a very horrible discusión whith cómodo techs the geek buddies who try to well me a complete suscription to cómodo the solution was more simple than i think

only install fw and uncheck all aditional protection features including the hips beha oír shield and the fw include the tristes files and vendors and only let virtual kiosk active i pasa several test whith those Apps from the research center and dont bypassed the virtual kiosk those test are very aggresive i try v kiosk dont pss it because i disable all cómodos bloated features now i only have v kiosk i ser in their forum many requestes to have that feature in a stand alone installer but nobody hear the users users like me who use other solutions like me who use webroot avast etc another av Or firewalls and only need the kiosk to virtualization stand alone to test Or protect whith virtual enviroment whitout sacrifice compatibility ok now i am happy and i think it matters you i ser you worry for me and i thank you now my Security suite webroot Windows firewall and win patrol i love that dog hail webroot hail scotty and vkiosk oh i have too a good task manager and a cómodo on demand scanner by a portablee file its more secure than i want Or wait ever
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

I am not sure I quite follow in terms of what you have finally decided on for your combo...but to me the key thing is that (i) you have WSA in the combo....and I know that with that you are well protected anyway, and (ii) that you have a solution that you are happy with/works for you and your system.

Anyway, if you have further questions about WSA then you know where to come.  And as and when you do it would make things a little easier if you could list out the security apps you are running at the time of the question or issue?  

As an example of what I mean here is my list:

Realtime (always on)
WSA Complete v8.0.4.70
VoodooShield v1.30

On demand (as required)
Malwarebytes AntiMalware Pro v2.0.1.1004

Hope that your question/issue is now resolved?

Have a great Easter weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Ok mate i answer you i worte from a movible and are dificult but i am excited you understand .

I explained you the problem of that suspicious Apps from research center whith that Money you can but a terrain imagine some one cames and say you hello take 1500 use mothly from december 2015 gto december 2017 to study and take too 4500 use valued Apps for life time whitout Key codes Or original cds . I see too much computer crashes and goes to junk except that ones who have Shadow defender Or cómodo virtual kiosk . Its a priority need . Because i decide for that combo and Works to 1000 wonders

real time always on
wsa 8.0.4.70
winpqtrol 30.x plus version

on demand
malwarebytes 2.01
hitman pro free

firewall
win8.1

virtualization
cómodo virtual kiosk stand alone personalized 7.0

its Works well as a webroot by my only av cómodo process dont run on background is like it not are here but virtualization Works perfectly 2% of cpu and whith kiosk20or less include15 Or 12

i think final y found my Security suite

i have to tell i see a video here dont remember whath threat and see the oncredible capability of webroot análisis whith process monitor and of desinfection

i feel secure and dont know about prevx and webroot history and include i think webroot was like bitdefender Cloud antivirus

i feel like a winner whith that combo hispasoftware infludes too much in me for jdosres the manager from this site i know webroot and first i think dont do nothing no alerta no eicar test no good rating on avc but now i see it Works the girl on the video mentioned above removes all malware través whith webroot no one other can do that

and respecto avc what matter 99% detection and block malware if nobody helps you whith that 1%

by my view ñoint in real Works 99% was 50% qnd a 50% of posibilities of malware infection means you dont hace nothing 0%

webroot tecnicals and comunity help and that was the importan they convert that1% or50% on a really 0% posibilities of infection because comunity helps and that was the really importante onva prouct: the help
what so you think?
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

That sounds like a very good setup to me, with a good balance between realtime protection & what you have as back up on demand.  I cannot really comment on the virtualisation software you use, as I have never used it or any for that matter...but if used properly I presume that (much like Sandboxie...that I know a little about) it adds the etra layer you are looking for.

Glad that you are settled on WSA and that you find the Community useful...that is the mission it has and it is a great place to be (note that most users, like me, are just volunteers and are not working for Webroot...we do what we do for fun/to help others :D).

As I said earlier, sounds like you question is resolved...and on that note I bid you farewell...until the next time we meet in the Community...and hopefully NOT because one of us has an issue that needs solving...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Jajaja i will go to my pc a d post as solved i hope no issues happy pcs
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

You misunderstand me...what I care about is whether you are in a good place and, what you opened this thread for, has been accomplished...that is all.

If that is the case then I am a happy Community member...:D

Also, please do post back re. your experiences with the virtualisation app & WSA...there could well be some users out there who are interested in doing the same as you and so any insights, information that you may be able to provide as a result of your use of the apps, may well be very useful.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Share share and share i like to share know i ser some crashes but umbra tells me how to aboid i only hace 2 cuestiona firdt one i have a one Mb conection and when i put my movible near my pc the internet speed be afected and i think affects webroot second cómodo fw have check inbound and onbound umbra says dont care and saya if cómodo fails on outnount conection check webroot goes to resque do you think thats true two outnount conect checker dont conflict?
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

The answer is 'Yes'...umbra is correct.  I will quote to you a post made previously by our previous Community Manager, Jim (now retired) on this subject:

"Foremost there is necessary to understand that the Windows firewall is very powerfull for inbound connections. Yes you can also set outbound rules but it is not so simple task. That's where WSA firewall stands up and provides strong protection. Therefore you shouldn't rely just on the Windows firewall or WSA firewall. They needs to be run together unless you are using a thrid party firewall. Having them run along you have very strong firewall where Windows controls inbound and WSA outbound connections.

Here's what the leader of development team said:
"The only "help" that WSA receives from the Windows firewall is inbound protection. There is only really one way to write an inbound firewall and the Windows firewall covers it off perfectly fine. No third party firewall is going to be more effective so we instead put our focus in other areas where we could actually make new innovations.""

I hope that helps clarify & support my response?

Please also note that Windows 8 presents certain technological limitations to the WSA firewall implementation and the Development Team are looking at options as a result. The operating system itself is locked down in certain respects that limit what third-party firewalls are capable of, which is why you don't see some of the features in Windows 8 that you would otherwise see in previous versions of Windows...but rest assured, if using the Windows Firewall and WSA you are very well protected.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi aktiffk

I am not sure I quite follow in terms of what you have finally decided on for your combo...but to me the key thing is that (i) you have WSA in the combo....and I know that with that you are well protected anyway, and (ii) that you have a solution that you are happy with/works for you and your system.

Anyway, if you have further questions about WSA then you know where to come.  And as and when you do it would make things a little easier if you could list out the security apps you are running at the time of the question or issue?  

As an example of what I mean here is my list:

Realtime (always on)
WSA Complete v8.0.4.70
VoodooShield v1.30

On demand (as required)
Malwarebytes AntiMalware Pro v2.0.1.1004

Hope that your question/issue is now resolved?

Have a great Easter weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

Hey Baldrick it's about the same as I use!

Realtime:
WSA-Complete
Look'n'Stop Firewall since 2004 one time payment but is not being developed anymore and I use on Win 7 it will not work on Win 8.1.
VoodooShield 1.30

On-Demand:
MBAM 2 - Lifetime
Hitman Pro
SUPERAnti-Spyware Pro Lifetime

And the On-Demand scanners only find yummy Cookies except MBAM which fines nothing. And I have to say about the Subject I DO NOT LIKE OR USE Comodo Products IMHO.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
Baldrick i supouse you are awaje crazy guy i want to asi you as you entered i use cómodo fw and all aprent be ok but how can i check webroot conection whith virus database Cloud are good on panda have a test to check if panda Cloud are conected qnd protecting i want to ser if no one thing interfers webroot
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

Hope that you are well?  That is a good question, and I have no answer as to why the Development Team have not provided such a feature.

However, I would look at it from two sides; (i) where you know that you have no internet connection, i.e. not connected, you have closed the connection, etc. & (ii) when something nasty is trying to close the connection.

The answer to the first one is easy...you know that it is not connected (more on how WSA performs when no network connectivity is available below).

The answer to the second is that, as far as I understand it, because WSA runs at the Kernel level (in other words at the very base level of the operating system) it has the capability to circumvent or get around any attempt to block its ability to contact the cloud, including bypassing the Windows API should that be necessary.

If connectivity is lost, for either of the above reasons, then the answer to how WSA performs in that circumstance is best answered by the following extract from a Knowledge Base article (courtesy of @ & @ ) :

"While WSA has the strongest protection when connected to the Internet, it provides significant protection when offline. A few thousand critical signatures are pushed down from the cloud for offline protection. The client remembers all of the files it's been told about to provide protection. The client further uses behavioral heuristics to block threats when offline and can even turn into a full "whitelist-only" mode. All files are set to 'Monitor' when offline - heuristics are applied in real-time and pre-execution. Each system modification is precisely tracked by WSA. Once the client is back online, if a program is eventually found to be malicious, every change that was made can be reverted."

I hope that explains things for you?  If not then please ask further questions. ;)

If you feel that a Cloud Connection Check feature would be a good idea then please go to the Ideas Exchange (see link at top of this page), check to see if this has been suggested before and if so you can add your own comments/support the suggestion.  And if it has not been amde before then yo are able to start a new Feature Suggestion, which other users can review, comment on & support if they want to. :D

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Maybe is necesary too much users use Windows fw but too much uses others who can block Cloud conectivity
Userlevel 7
Hi aktiffk

Hope my response clarified you question about WSA connectivity to the Cloud?

May be you are indeed correct...I personally do not really care either way (KIS has the feature and to be honest when I was running KIS I hardly ever checked the cloud connection).

But one thing I am sure of...unless a suggestion is put forward in the Ideas Exchange the feature has no chance of being developed...as I am sure that the Development Team would have provided the feature if they agreed as to its importance.

So, as I suggested, if you are keen for it to be introduced then cerat a Feature Request.

Regards

Baldrick