Solved

Webroot and SpyShelter

Userlevel 5
  • Popular Voice
  • 141 replies
Need some advice on this: I am running SpyShelter along with Webroot. All processes are encrypted with SpyShelter and SpyShelter has hips. What is the community opinion on this....Is SpyShelter needed since I have Webroot???  Or does Webroot compliment Spyshelter???
Thanks again for the help;)
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 26 May 2013, 22:45

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Need some advice on this: I am running SpyShelter along with Webroot. All processes are encrypted with SpyShelter and SpyShelter has hips. What is the community opinion on this....Is SpyShelter needed since I have Webroot???  Or does Webroot compliment Spyshelter???
Thanks again for the help;)
You don't really need it as the Identity & Privacy Shield protects you're online credentials please see Here and read the next few tabs and I think I shared this Video with you already?

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Daniel:
   Only one problem according to support information Identity & Privacy Shield supports 32 bit only. I have 64 bit .....what now??
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Daniel:
   Only one problem according to support information Identity & Privacy Shield supports 32 bit only. I have 64 bit .....what now??
32bit Browsers such as IE 32bit, Firefox 32bit, Opera 32bit and Chrome 32bit the OS being 64bit doesn't matter. ;)

TH
Userlevel 5
Daniel:   One more question on this issue. If I uninstall SpyShelter I sacrifice the feature it has on all processes are encrypted. What is your opinion on this???  This one feature appears to provided a extra layer of protection. However i VALUE your advice.
Await your response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I still say you don`t need it with Webroot SecureAnywhere from the Online Help File:

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also I did some research and SpyShelter would not add anything extra to WSA that WSA already does IMO. ;)

Cheers,

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 5
Daniel:
    Once again thanks for the advice I will uninstall SpyShelter and stay with the BEST  Webroot.;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Daniel:
    Once again thanks for the advice I will uninstall SpyShelter and stay with the BEST  Webroot.;)
Excellent Choice! 😉
Userlevel 7

I've made a simple test of the IdentityShield using SpyShelter tool, which simulates stealing data from keystrokes - a typicall activity of a keylogger malware. With SpyShelter Test Tool running in the background I've typped adress www.webroot.com in Google Chrome protected by IdentityShield module.

Here are the results:

https://]http://i.imgur.com/oNdVrYk.jpg[/img][/url]

As one can see this tool was simply unable to catch any of my keystrokes, which only confirms the high efficiency in data theft protection afforded by the WSA :D
It's worth to notice that the IdentityShield module provide protection not only for browsers, but also for almost every single app which user have decided to protect.

Regards,

Mike

Userlevel 2
Badge +13
I apologize for resurrecting this old thread but this statement is more than misleading:

@ wrote:
Also I did some research and SpyShelter would not add anything extra to WSA that WSA already does IMO. ;)

Cheers,

Daniel :D
SpyShelter gives you granular control over program behavior that I have never seen in any other product. It allows you to run a program and deny it access to your webcam. It allows you to test new software that is considered "good" or "safe" by Webroot and still maintain control over your system. Maybe you want to block a program from accessing the internet. Maybe you want to stop a program from launching another program. Maybe you want to stop a program from activating your microphone. Maybe you want to stop a program from reading or writing to a disk. You can make all these choices and still allow the program to run. I often find myself blocking access to a thing and still using a program which begs the question "If the program still runs just fine and completes the task at hand without access to that thing I just denied then why did it want access to that? What was it doing?"

SpyShelter requires a power user to understand what is going on and make choices. It's very admin heavy. It's not comparable to other security software except maybe a Firewall. It is a firewall too but it gives you the same live access based prompts for all actions on your computer. It can be very verbose. Certainly not for everyone.

That being said, it can add A TON of extra controls that WSA simply doesn't.