Webroot and Webcam

• 15 December 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Hi team,

I hope all is well.

I would just like to confirm if Webroot (any of the Windows/Mac products) has some sort of Webcam protection? Couldn't find any concrete answers on the web.

Thanks in advanced.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Great question as I would like to know as well. I assume if your infected or hacked WSA will protect you with it's Identity Shield but can't say for sure? @ @ might find out for us and let us know? It's not talked about much so again it's a great question!

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
Great question as I would like to know as well. I assume if your infected or hacked WSA will protect you with it's Identity Shield but can't say for sure? @ @ might find out for us and let us know? It's not talked about much so again it's a great question!

Thanks,
We do not protect the Webcam specifically. We do block, detect, and remove malware that can include functionality to hijack the Webcam.

A piece of tape over your webcam is a simple solution. You can also purchase specialized stickers or a slider-type webcam protector. 

-Dan

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
If you use Windows 10, the webcam can be disabled in Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Camera -> Allow Access to the Camera on this device -> Change

You can then enable/disable as needed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Hi, sorry for the long reply.

I read your response saying that Webroot doesn't monitor the Webcam specifically, but rather monitors malware that would target the Webcam.
Can I safely assume that will essentially do the same thing as monitoring the actual webcam just with less resources?

With what you said, can hackers only attack your Webcam with malware? (assuming they don't have physical access to your computer).

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi, sorry for the long reply.

I read your response saying that Webroot doesn't monitor the Webcam specifically, but rather monitors malware that would target the Webcam.
Can I safely assume that will essentially do the same thing as monitoring the actual webcam just with less resources?

With what you said, can hackers only attack your Webcam with malware? (assuming they don't have physical access to your computer).

Thanks.

Generally, for an attacker to access the webcam on your computer, they would need access through malware, or a Remote Access Tool or Monitoring tool of some sort which we would detect. In this way, we do protect the webcam.

-Dan
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Hi Dan,

I hope all is well.

When it comes to Remote Access tools or monitoring tools, are they necessarily malware?
And even if they aren't, would Webroot detect them, malware or not?

Thanks in advanced.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi Dan,

I hope all is well.

When it comes to Remote Access tools or monitoring tools, are they necessarily malware?
And even if they aren't, would Webroot detect them, malware or not?

Thanks in advanced.

I would not say they all of these type of tools are necessarily malware, but there are some that are generally considered to be malware.

The simple answer is that yes, we do detect them, malware or not, in order to protect the security and privacy of our users.

-Dan
If you use Windows 10, the webcam can be disabled in Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Camera -> Allow Access to the Camera on this device -> Change

You can then enable/disable as needed.

And in Windows 7:
Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Device Manager > Imaging Devices > Webcam > Right-click and select "Disable"
Link
Just discovered this!

If you are online and you receive a threat notice for malware on Web root And then you click  The clean  Tab

Does  Web root immediately knock out the malware in its entirety?