Webroot antivirus breaks nslookup

• 14 November 2019
  • 18 replies

Badge +3

The current version of Webroot SecureAnywhere antivirus (9.0.27.49) breaks Windows 10 nslookup program and some other DNS lookup programs, like the one in Java 11. I tried to shutdown partial shields (Firewall, Phishing etc.), but only complete shutdown of Webroot fixes the problem.

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @iztokk8 

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear of this issue and inconvenience. Would you want to try a uninstall/reinstall of Webroot? This sometimes corrects any bugs that you are experiencing.  Or else you can always Submit a Support Ticket free of charge and the Webroot Support Team can assist you.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

HTH?

Badge +3

I tried to reinstall and it didn’t help. I will file a support ticket. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @iztokk8 ,

Sorry that this uninstall/reinstall did not help. Please let us know if you get this resolved with Support or not. This could help others with similar issues.

Let me ping @TripleHelix and see if he has any information concerning this "nslookup,"

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello@iztokk8 ,

Sorry that this uninstall/reinstall did not help. Please let us know if you get this resolved with Support or not. This could help others with similar issues.

Let me ping@TripleHelix and see if he has any information concerning this "nslookup,"

Support is the way to go as it may need to be whitelisted in the Webroot Cloud Database or one of WSA’s shields could be blocking it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello@iztokk8 ,

Let me ping@TripleHelix and see if he has any information concerning this "nslookup,"

Support is the way to go as it may need to be whitelisted in the Webroot Cloud Database or one of WSA’s shields could be blocking it.

Thank you Daniel! 😊

Badge +1

I have also experienced this same issue with nslookup being delayed, sometimes quite a bit while Webroot is on.  Reinstalling did not work for me either.   Looking forward to hearing what support finds!

Example output:

------ webroot not running ------
C:\Users\User1>nslookup adobe.com 8.8.8.8
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: adobe.com
Addresses: 192.147.130.204

------ webroot is running ------
C:\Users\User1>nslookup adobe.com 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: adobe.com
Addresses: 193.104.215.58

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I tried to reinstall and it didn’t help. I will file a support ticket. Thanks.

Hey there Iztokk,

Did you reach any conclusions with the support team? Please let me know if you need any help escalating this case and I’ll reach out to the team. 

Thanks!

-Keenan

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I’m having the same problem here with nslookup being blocked. Cost me a good hour and a half trying to figure out why my DNS wasn’t working correctly before I stumbled across a suggestion to disable antivirus software on a random forum and decided to disable WebRoot just in case. Sure enough, nslookup started working with WebRoot unloaded (but not with all the protection options disabled).

Please let me know if you got anywhere with support, or if I should open my own ticket.

Badge +1

I have the nslookup/dns issue as well. Has anyone gotten a response from support yet?

Badge +1

No response from support after 24 hours. My subscription ends next month, and this helps me make the decision to not renew it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No response from support after 24 hours. My subscription ends next month, and this helps me make the decision to not renew it.

@cbbyers - I’ll reach out to support right now and see if they can check on the status of your ticket!

Please allow at least 48 hours for support to get back to you :)

-Keenan

Badge +1

@cbbyers - I’ll reach out to support right now and see if they can check on the status of your ticket!

Please allow at least 48 hours for support to get back to you :)

-Keenan

Thanks. I got an email from support, but it was a standard template asking me to collect and submit logs. I’ve already uninstalled the product from my desktop and laptop as both were exhibiting the same behaviour, so I probably can’t provide those.

This was first reported almost a month ago, and many others have reported the issue, so it doesn’t seem like an isolated issue that needs to be troubleshooted at an individual level.  This seems like a more widespread issue that could be tested in your lab.

I may wait a few weeks and re-install to see if the problem is fixed, or if someone else could update here, that would be great.

Badge +3

Webroot 9.0.26.61 works fine.  Version 9.0.27.49 is the one that has screwed up nslookup.

Badge +1

+1 here. Windows 10 version 1909 with webroot 9.0.27.49 installed. As soon as webroot is loaded, nslookup stops working. 

Badge +1

I just realized that it screws up my vpn client as well. 

Badge +1

@Ssherjj or @iztokk8  has webroot resolved this? There has been no update to this thread

Badge +1

So since Webroot 9.0.26.61 works, how can I downgrade to this version?  Sick of waiting on Webroot to fix the problem, can’t believe I paid money for a broken product!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but just in case anyone stumbles across this and is still looking for a resolution, it appears to be fixed in WebRoot Secure Antivirus v9.0.28.39 (at least it’s fixed for me).