Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
You didn't try to reinstall chrome?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks.  I can certainly explain what I do and see on my PC and what I have done in clear terms.

I was not aware that the extension thing referred to in this thread is something you find in Chrome, not in Webroot.  And the program version presumably therefore refers to the version of Chrome, which I do know how to find.  I simply disabled the identity protection setting in Webroot itself.

Caravelle

Also to find the version of WSA: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C12_MyAccount/CH11a_ViewingAccount.htm

HTH,

Daniel 😉
@ wrote:
You didn't try to reinstall chrome?
Yeah I tried that yesterday but to no avail. It is definitely a problem with Webroot. It's just odd how it started all of a sudden and also to my brothers pc on the same day but some people are reporting they have no problems. Very odd

Userlevel 1
Daniel wrote: 
Also to find the version of WSA: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C12_MyAccount/CH11a_ViewingAccount.ht.. Thanks.  As I said I knew where to find the version of Chrome.  But in both cases, the traditional Help/About would have been so much more user-friendly.    All the programs I write have both a Help/About and little mouseover pop-up boxes linked to everything that can possibly be clicked to explain what clicking them does and why you might want to click them.

I've now raised a support ticket.

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great please let us know your outcome as well as it can help other users and we can compare notes with Zeusius!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Have you tried to install chrome in c: Program Files?
Now it is set in ?:users appdata...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good one @ as I have seen these issues many times and it should be installed in C:Program FilesGoogle or if 64bit C:Program Files (x86)Google

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Turning off identity shield solved the problem. I figured I would uninstall/Install Chrome again, to see if it changed anything. Chrome now works with Identity Shield on, strange....
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
FWIW my guess on why some, apparently relatively low numbers of users, are experiencing some issues like these, is due to the silent, background auto-updating of Chrome to regular, new versions, with possibly differing .dll file versions etc.

i don't use Chrome myself, but if I did I'd be experimenting, for example, with disabling silent, auto-updating of Chrome for a few weeks,

Userlevel 7
Ah ha, RustyNutz...a result.  That is good news.

I would say that I tend to agree with Dermot as to a possible cause...but out of interest did Chrome install in the same place as it was before.  Reason; given what Petrovic stated about installs in non C:\Program Files or C:\ Program Files (x86) paths, and possible issue as a result.  Would be good to confirm that going forward...if possible.

Regards

Baldrick
It's currently installed in ...C:Program Files (x86)Google...and as I stated above, is now working fine...
Userlevel 7
Hi RustyNutz

Thanks for the further info...so looks like what Petrovic suggested was correct re. this and so well worth remembering.

Glad that it is sorted for you.  If you did submit a Support Ticket it would be a good idea to update it with this information so that Support know that you are sorted and also what it was that resolved the issue for you, and so save them some wasted effort.

@ if yo have not already yo may like to check out what RustyNutz found and carry out a uninstall/reinstall of Chrome so that it resides in either C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86)...depending on whether you are running 64bit or 32bit WIndows respectively (as suggested earlier by Petrovic).  Worth a try.

Cheers

Baldrick
I have received an email back from support now and they told me to change chrome from protect to allow and that has fixed the issue. I didn't need to move chrome and left it where it was and all is working now even with the identity shield enabled which was the original fix that I found.

This however may not be the same for everybody but is definitely worth a try rather than moving chrome around. Certainly an easier option. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi Zeusius

Many thanks for the feedback...it is all useful, and as you say some solution may work in some cases for some users awhilst not for others so having a number of alternatives that are know to have worked is always useful.

Much appreciated. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello, Zeusisus,..Welcome to the community...where we all are here to support each other with just about anything! Look around join in anytime...

Sherry
Userlevel 1
I  received advice from support to change all the settings under Identity Protection/Application Protection;
if you see any Chrome files set to "Deny" here, set them to "Allow".  

As my settings were all on "Protect" I replied asking what I should do. The next reply said:
The issue occurred with the new Chrome update. The updated files since then have been white listed, and you should no longer be experiencing this problem. If you are, please run a scan and Webroot should be notified of the change automatically, without changes to the ID shield. But setting these files from Deny to Allow should resolve this issue completely. If everything is set to Protect, you should not have issues running Chrome. 
I can't find anything in the online Help on this Application Protection function which explains what "Protect", "Allow" and "Deny" are supposed to do, but if the idea of Webroot is to protect me, then "Protect" sounds like the one I should be using.  Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is ?

I have run a scan twice.  Chrome does not work with the settings on Protect.  It does if the settings are "Allow".

Back to Support again...

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hi Caravelle

• Protect. “Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. You might want to add financial management software to the category. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock: [img]http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/Content/Resources/Images/Icon_lock.png[/img]
  • Allow. “Allowed applications” are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as “Deny,” you can change it to “Allow.”
  • Deny. “Denied applications” cannot view or capture protected data on the system, but can otherwise run normally.
Read more:
 http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm

From WSA support:
"The issue you are reporting is one we are aware of and we are working to resolve it as quickly as possible."

Thank you
Best regard, Petr.

Userlevel 1
Thank you, but what is the definition of "protected data" ?  I am not being awkward, I am simply trying to get to the bottom of what is being protected here and how Webroot knows what data I want to protect and where it is.  And under "Allow" why would anyone NOT want an application secured against malware ?  I do not know enough about <any> application to trust it, and even if I decided to trust it that would not stop it from being infected after my decision was made.  It just makes no sense to me.

I have done some time-consuming experimenting and this is the text of my latest approach to Support:

I have gone through the Chrome files set to "Allow", switching them back to "Protect". Chrome continues to work with all of them set to Protect apart from "new_chrome.exe in c:usersmichaelappdatalocalgooglechromeapplication". Setting that to "Protect" stops Chrome from going to any websites.  Caravelle

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you, but what is the definition of "protected data" ?  I am not being awkward, I am simply trying to get to the bottom of what is being protected here and how Webroot knows what data I want to protect and where it is.  And under "Allow" why would anyone NOT want an application secured against malware ?  I do not know enough about <any> application to trust it, and even if I decided to trust it that would not stop it from being infected after my decision was made.  It just makes no sense to me.

I have done some time-consuming experimenting and this is the text of my latest approach to Support:

I have gone through the Chrome files set to "Allow", switching them back to "Protect". Chrome continues to work with all of them set to Protect apart from "new_chrome.exe in c:usersmichaelappdatalocalgooglechromeapplication". Setting that to "Protect" stops Chrome from going to any websites.  Caravelle

Chrome should be installed in Program Files not in Appdata and some files will be in Appdata but not the Program itself and protected data http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6a_ManagingID.htm

HTH,

Daniel 
I have a pretty stupid question for you then: How do I install Chrome in Program Files?

I've been having the same problem as the other folks here and when I try to reinstall Chrome, it doesn't give me any options as to where to install; it simply installs into Appdata.  Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Blackacre
Userlevel 7
Hi Blackacre

Welcome to the Community Fora...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bounce2.gif

I have found the following article that should assist you, but it just one of many available on the Web.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
I have a pretty stupid question for you then: How do I install Chrome in Program Files?

After you've download the installer file you need, open the file and follow the instructions on the screen to complete your installation. For additional help, please visit the Chrome Help Center.

Thank you
Best regard, Petr.
Userlevel 1
The odd thing is, Support don't seem to be giving any advice to install Chrome other than where it installs itself.

Having told them precisely which file is causing the problem on my system and where it is, this is the latest response I have had:

Thank you for this information, we will forward it to the development team. Using Allow for these files shouldn't cause any issues. Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this issue. Let us know if you need further assistance.  But then they don't seem to be reading what I say.  It's using "Protect" that causes the issue !

Caravelle

What I don't understand is, why do we need to install chrome somewhere else on our pc when up until this point there has been no problem. There is obviously an issue with the webroot software and there needs to be some sort of fix from their end.

Caravelle I would set chrome to allow for now as that is what I was told to do by customer support, because that fixes the problem temporarily and we will have to wait until an official fix is released.
I've had this issue since Saturday. The only way I've been able to get on the net is Internet Explorer, which I don't care for. I prefer to use Google. While checking into to this problem, I recently found on a Google Chrome site that the problem is not just occurring with Webroot, it is also occurring with McFee. I've read through all these posts and I'm still not exactly sure how to fix it.

There appears to be some correlation between a Microsoft Critical Update that got automatically downloaded to my machine on Thursday and others have reported that also.

I don't want to take off the Webroot protection for Google, that sounds self distructive. I've read some people are going to Chrome to fix problem, and some are turning off the Webroot protection and I don't want to do that.

So how "exactly" step by step do I fix this problem?

Thank you.