Solved

webroot doesn't recognize a new version is available

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Win 7 Pro 64
Webroot 8.0.2.127

Having issues with updates on this laptop since January.  We are making progress as this time "Scan with Webroot" still works!

Checking for updates returns a response stating
"You are currently using the newest SecureAnywhere software. With this version, SecureAnywhere automatically updates the software and no longer downloads threat definitions. Threat protection is now performed "in the cloud" and is always up-to-date."

Despite the response it appears 8.0.2.127 is not the most current version as two other systems are reportedly running WSA version 8.0.2.155.

A case was opened on June 28 with the initial response of uninstall/reinstall.  Since this system has not successfully been updated without manual intervention in 2013 I am trying to avoid manual installs and hoping for a more permanent solution.  With Webroot's help, the last update was "successfully" reinstalled.  However, there are two versions of wrusr.dll running (8.0.2.118 and 8.0.2.127). Support was unable to tell me how to remove revision 118.

OnlineArmor has been shut down for the Webroot update but that doesn't help.  Webroot was uninstalled and reinstalled three or four times earlier this year so that works but doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Anyone else suggestions?

icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 19 July 2013, 19:52

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Did you do a system restore at some point between the last time the issue occurred and this time? If so, Windows likely restored the old driver alongside the new one and confused things. In which case, the un/re would make sense given the context. If not, the remote session with support should yield some answers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
BTW, I did perform a system restore.  It failed.  (Just learned today that restores should be done from safe mode...)  The restore was only back to a previous Friday (two or three days earlier) and it was well after revision 127 was updated.  However....

I'm going to check to see if OA is causing the program not to update.  Here is why.

Looking beyond the OnlineArmor information I found the version in SysWOW64 is listed incorrectly in OA.

Online Armor reports.
Folder:          C:WindowsSysWOW64
Program:         WRusr.dll
Name:            Webroot SecureAnywhere, 8.0.8.118 (8.0.8.118)
First detected:  6/27/12 21:59:57
Hash (MD5):      D5177488367792F73210BE2FEBC96159

Windows Explorer (Used Bitser for the Hash) reports.
Product Name:    Webroot SecureAnywhere
Product version: 8.0.8.127
Date modified:   4/2/2013 5:57 PM
Hash (MD5):      e2e4288a3b4fc706641d85fa029a5986

OA may be blocking the connection.  I did verify Support's claim that WSA will report the most recent version to be installed if it can't communicate with the host.

Thanks JimM, again!  Will try to reply to this post if I can prove OA is the culprit.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
It should be mentioned that OA was shutdown prior to checking for an update.  So it is doubtful OA is causing the Webroot update problem but the OA issue needs to be corrected before Webroot is fixed.

So far OA has only stated "that information cannot be updated."  I find that strange because it means a reformat / reinstall would end up having the same incorrect information.  😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have never had a problem updating since we began the Alpha version of WSA in early 2011 it's just something about that system as you said on the other 2 are fine which doesn't mean it's WSA's fault IMHO. I would try another clean reinstall with any other security software disabled. Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode as you will need it during reinstall then download a fresh copy of WSA Here then Uninstall WSA Reboot then then got to C:WindowsSysWOW64 and look for any remnants of WRusr.dll and delete them and if you not able to delete please download Unlocker 1.9.2 then install and be on the look out for any unwanted add-ons, then it will show in Right Click Context Menu then go back and Right click on WRusr.dll and Delete it might ask you to remove it by rebooting  please do so and go back to make sure WRusr.dll is gone then make sure all other security software is still disabled then install WSA put the keycode in and let it finish it's install scan then reboot after that set WSA to the way you like it and if you want to go back and look to see that you have just one WRusr.dll and right click on the file and choose Properties and in Details it says 8.0.2.155.

HTH,

Daniel

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Webroot was uninstalled and reinstalled.  I would like to believe this will be the end of these issues but...  next update I will open a support case and forum case at the same time.

JimM, TripleHelix, and Mike provide good answers and tend not to immediately jump to the uninstall/reinstall approach, which I have done about five times since January to get WSA updated.

For anyone else that is reading... I like WSA and it runs fine on two other computers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Did you try my suggestion? Did you find an extra Wrusr.dll file? Also taking another look at your post and the report from OA it says 8.0.8.118 and 8.0.8.127 there is no such versions as the latest says 8.0.2.155 very odd.

See Here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-118/td-p/28140#.UeclHG3NmSo and here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-127/td-p/31988#.UeclVG3NmSo

Daniel

Online Armor reports.
Name:            Webroot SecureAnywhere, 8.0.8.118 (8.0.8.118)
First detected:  6/27/12 21:59:57
Hash (MD5):      D5177488367792F73210BE2FEBC96159

Windows Explorer (Used Bitser for the Hash) reports.
Product Name:    Webroot SecureAnywhere
Product version: 8.0.8.127
Date modified:   4/2/2013 5:57 PM
Hash (MD5):      e2e4288a3b4fc706641d85fa029a5986
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
I do apologize for not having responded until now.

Did you try my suggestion?
      Yes, see below.
Did you find an extra Wrusr.dll file?
     Sort of, see below.
there is no such versions as the latest says 8.0.2.155 very odd.
      https:///t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-155/td-p/45294

Webroot was uninstalled and reinstalled for the second time today.   Wrusr.dll was removed.  So, yes, I tried your suggestion.

After the install there are two WRusr.dll's.  So, yes, there is an extra Wrusr.dll file.
C:WindowsSysWOW64WRusr.dll      149 KB  7/18/2013  6:48 PM     This should be the 32 bit file.
C:WindowsSystem32WRusr.dll         102 KB  7/18/2013  6:48 PM      This should be the 64 bit file.
Windows Explore (Properties > Details) show both to be version 8.0.2.155

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is normal to have one in both as I do on my Win 7 64bit system and my Win 8.1 Pro 64bit Preview VM!

So let us know when the next program update comes out to see if it will self update over a few days of release.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Which is the reason I didn't try your suggestion the first time but did a reinstall just in case one of the versions was actually a remnant.  i was 99.9% sure it wasn't, but following  your instructions raised it to 100%.

The reason I first thought it was a duplicate was because OA was reporting the same program but two versions.  All other Webroot programs only had one version installed.  It was later that I realized the two versions were in different folders and that OA was reporting incorrect version and hash information.  This led me to working with Emisoft to figure out why (it is a known bug) the program information was not updated.

Thank  you for persevering!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your very welcome and thanks for your reply! ;)

Have a Great day!

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
This is the first time this year WSA has updated without issues and only the second time an uninstall/reinstall has not been required!  

I'm cautiously optimistic.  :D

Hmmmm,  85 days left on my license.  This smells like a conspiracy... :P

Godspeed
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear and thanks for letting us know! ;)

Cheers,

Daniel