Webroot Filtering Extension

Userlevel 3
Lately when opening some particular web pages, IE11 becomes unresponsive, and I can't click on any links. After a few seconds IE11 starts working again. Disabling the filtering Extension immediately correct the issue on all pc's (four)

A example  www.rtlnews.nl (a dutch online newssite)

Uninstalling en reinstalling Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 8.0.4.115 doesn't solve the problem

No other security product installed

Webroot Filtering Extension 1.0.0.40

I already opend  a support ticket.

To me it looks like Webroot Filtering Extension can't handle the many external links that are embedded.

47 replies

Userlevel 3
Webroot filter extension 1.0.2.42 seems to resolve my problem on this particular pc. ..Good job :D
Now let's see about the other systems....
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Webroot filter extension 1.0.2.42 seems to resolve my problem on this particular pc. ..Good job :D
Now let's see about the other systems....
So far, I think we have a 100% fix rate for this issue on Chrome browsers.  If you have problems after making sure the extension is updated and enabled, let us  know!

NOTE: There was one report today of a problem with the Filter Extension on Mac with the newly released OS on Safari.  I am assuming this will not impact you though!
Userlevel 3
Pure IE11, and a clean install of webroot - tumbs up :D

Userlevel 7
Awesome!  Thanks for letting us know!  We always feel in the dark about a possible issue if we do not hear back 🙂
Userlevel 3
Follow up, the other systems with IE11 also work great with the latest update. 
Userlevel 7
Excellent.  Thank you for letting us know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Follow up, the other systems with IE11 also work great with the latest update. 
Great to hear and I sent an email to the BrightCloud Management! Also they are still working on a better way of delivering the Web Filter so keep our eyes open but it might be a couple of months!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Thank you all :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I'm beyond happy with the latest update to the filtering extension.It seems to fix any issues i had with it freezing,lagging pages,etc.At one point i found it so troublesome i kept it disabled.Glad to have this protection back.Thanks to the dev team for listening and responding to us once again:D
Userlevel 2
I have the latest Filtering extension 1.0.2.42 but am still experiencing the same issue as DeHollander only on a very intermittent basis. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason when it will happen.
Using FireFox 33.
I'm going to disable this plug in and see if this issue stops, although like a said...it is intermittent.
WIn 7 64bit
ZoneAlarm Pro
Eset Node 32
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have the latest Filtering extension 1.0.2.42 but am still experiencing the same issue as DeHollander only on a very intermittent basis. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason when it will happen.
Using FireFox 33.
I'm going to disable this plug in and see if this issue stops, although like a said...it is intermittent.
WIn 7 64bit
ZoneAlarm Pro
Eset Node 32
Let us know what the result is.  I would be very interested to know.  I have not had that problem, but if there is something in the filter extension causing this you will want to submit a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take a look as well.
Userlevel 2
What does this plug in do anyway?
Does one really need it to be protected by Webroot when I have ZA and Eset?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
What does this plug in do anyway?
Does one really need it to be protected by Webroot when I have ZA and Eset?
The Filter Extension does a couple of different things.

1) It identifies and blocks malicious websites
2) When you use a search engine, it is the Filter Extension that provides the 'green checks'  as well as the yellow cautions and red warnings for search results indicating the reputation of the websites, so you can avoid sites known to be malicious.

EDIT:

Do the other programs mentioned ALSO have browser plug-ins that do essentially the same thing?  That in itself could be the cause of the issue: too many extensions doing the same thing and may simply be interfering with each other.  
Userlevel 2
Great guestion.
As a matter of fact I do. I also have the WOT plug in.
Funny thing about WOT and Webroot's...they don't always agree. Sometimes WOT will have a caution and Webroot will have the Green check or vise versa.
Don't know who to believe.
Guess I'll leave Webroot out of the equation for a while to see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Please do let me know what the result is and how it does, I really would like to know!
Userlevel 2
David,
When it is out of sight/out of mind...it may be hard to remember but I'll try to remember and report back.
In addition, I might also just do the reverse as well and disable WOT in favor of Webroot. We will see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I would you really can't trust WOT just say a group of people hate a site they mark it bad but in reality there's nothing wrong with it and WOT is done by people of the Internet and members of WOT. https://www.mywot.com/ and the Webroot Web Filter uses the BrightCloud database http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 2
Thanks for the advise...I'll certainly consider what you stated.
Userlevel 2
Well it has been a couple of weeks since I turned off Webroot filtering extension with no further problems. Today, I re-enabled Webroot and disabled WOT and the problem returned.
Now what?
Late to the party, can't give too many details (and admittedly haven't read all the posts), but just adding my voice to the conversation:

Recently installed WSA and ha several problems with firefox becoming unresponsive to mouseovers/clicks of hyperlinks/tab changes.  I kind of tend to overdo it with tabs (usually have 8+ open, several of which with flash content), but didn't have problems of this type until changing internet security programs. 

Usually encounter the problem when navigating ad-bloated garbage slideshow list articles like those on egokick.com or clipd.com, with several embedded flash video ads that you can't stop (10 Fascinating Facts About Stephen Colbert - Answers.com , for example).  The tab with the offensive site isn't the one that freezes up, but rather one that I go to from there.  Without warning, the tab I'm on behaves as if its waiting to connect, or for content to load:  I can scroll with my mousewheel, but cannot click links, change tabs, or close the program.  I try closing the flashplayerplugin execuable from task manager (am I the only one that has two at a time there?), but to no effect.

The webroot browser extension could very well be protecting me from nasty annoying stuff, but it'd eb nice if it didn't do so in a way that breaks my browser =)

Full disclosure: I have also recently updated my graphics driver (automatic update), have a windows update waiting, and the Java update notifications that always used to annoy the hell out of me are curiously absent...so there could be some other things going on that aren't helping.  (Did I mention my system avctually hard locked when testing the site to refresh my memory for this post?  That ain't normal.)

Using Windows 7(64-bit), firefox 33.1, and most recent version of the flash player plugin.

(interesting, when following link, page is displayed as a one-page list, with no slideshow...and so far, no problem)
Userlevel 7
I dropped Firefox as it become far too slow to use when using multiple tabs that have flash/java content.