Webroot Filtering Extension

  • 29 August 2014
  • 47 replies
  • 2116 views

Userlevel 3
Lately when opening some particular web pages, IE11 becomes unresponsive, and I can't click on any links. After a few seconds IE11 starts working again. Disabling the filtering Extension immediately correct the issue on all pc's (four)
 
A example  www.rtlnews.nl (a dutch online newssite)

Uninstalling en reinstalling Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 8.0.4.115 doesn't solve the problem

No other security product installed
 
Webroot Filtering Extension 1.0.0.40

I already opend  a support ticket.
 
To me it looks like Webroot Filtering Extension can't handle the many external links that are embedded.

47 replies

Userlevel 3
Webroot filter extension 1.0.2.42 seems to resolve my problem on this particular pc. ..Good job :D
Now let's see about the other systems....
Userlevel 3
Pure IE11, and a clean install of webroot - tumbs up :D
 
Userlevel 3
Follow up, the other systems with IE11 also work great with the latest update. 
Userlevel 3
Thank you all :D
 
 
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
As this has been an on and off again problem for me as well,the clean reinstall seems to do the trick.The only time i sometimes ran into issues in the past is when i have to uninstall WSA for sake of Beta testing gaming software,and upon reinstall of WSA,i guess for some reason the filtering extension install is glitched in some fashion and hence exhibits the aforementioned behaviour.Strange how glitchy windows can be sometimes,especially 8.1.You can uninstall the same piece of software 1 time and it will leave certain remnants behind,and another time it won't leave those same remnants behind.I can see why some opt for an OS other than Windows.Hopefully microsoft does it's homework with windows 9.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
As this has been an on and off again problem for me as well,the clean reinstall seems to do the trick.The only time i sometimes ran into issues in the past is when i have to uninstall WSA for sake of Beta testing gaming software,and upon reinstall of WSA,i guess for some reason the filtering extension install is glitched in some fashion and hence exhibits the aforementioned behaviour.Strange how glitchy windows can be sometimes,especially 8.1.You can uninstall the same piece of software 1 time and it will leave certain remnants behind,and another time it won't leave those same remnants behind.I can see why some opt for an OS other than Windows.Hopefully microsoft does it's homework with windows 9.
Also Webroot is looking at a better way not quite sure what but they are and hopefully it will solve all the issues like with Chrome forcing users to go to the Google Chrome store to install Web Threat Shield. Maybe it could support other browsers as well that would be nice!
 
Cheers,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
For those interested, a video link to youtube. The first time the filter is enabled. The second time the filter disabled. And finally reenabled
 
http://youtu.be/Qb8N7Wcrs68
 
 
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
Finaly:
 
At this moment I have decided to stop using any webroot product.
 
Goodbye.
 
 
 
Are you sure that support can't help you? I know you have been using WSA for quite a while and hate to see you go I can ask @ to look into your Ticket to see what is happening! Please keep working with us!
 
Sorry,
 
Daniel 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
Follow up, the other systems with IE11 also work great with the latest update. 
Great to hear and I sent an email to the BrightCloud Management! Also they are still working on a better way of delivering the Web Filter so keep our eyes open but it might be a couple of months!
 
Cheers,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I'm beyond happy with the latest update to the filtering extension.It seems to fix any issues i had with it freezing,lagging pages,etc.At one point i found it so troublesome i kept it disabled.Glad to have this protection back.Thanks to the dev team for listening and responding to us once again:D
Userlevel 2
Great guestion.
As a matter of fact I do. I also have the WOT plug in.
Funny thing about WOT and Webroot's...they don't always agree. Sometimes WOT will have a caution and Webroot will have the Green check or vise versa.
Don't know who to believe.
Guess I'll leave Webroot out of the equation for a while to see what happens.
Userlevel 2
David,
When it is out of sight/out of mind...it may be hard to remember but I'll try to remember and report back.
In addition, I might also just do the reverse as well and disable WOT in favor of Webroot. We will see.
Userlevel 7
Hi DeHollander
 
Have tried the site you mentioned, under IE11, and all I get is:
 
Web Site Not Found

Web Site Not Found

Sorry, we could not find any content for this web address. Please check the URL.
If you are an Acquia Cloud customer and expect to see your site at this address, you'll need to add this domain name to your site via the Acquia Network management console.
Acquia Inc.
 
Could there be something specific about that site (and the others that you are having issues with) and WSA?  DO you have any other examples of sites exhibiting the behaviour you have seen/are reporting?
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Did you try a clean reinstall of WSA?
 
Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the following steps closely:
 
  • Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online when you Uninstall and Reinstall
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? 
 
Thanks,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Here is a way to get it working with the new Chrome based Opera but unofficial: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Unofficial-Webroot-filtering-extension-and-password-manager-in/ta-p/142205
 
Cheers,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Thanks.Worked like a charm
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Webroot filter extension 1.0.2.42 seems to resolve my problem on this particular pc. ..Good job :D
Now let's see about the other systems....
So far, I think we have a 100% fix rate for this issue on Chrome browsers.  If you have problems after making sure the extension is updated and enabled, let us  know!
 
NOTE: There was one report today of a problem with the Filter Extension on Mac with the newly released OS on Safari.  I am assuming this will not impact you though!
Userlevel 7
Awesome!  Thanks for letting us know!  We always feel in the dark about a possible issue if we do not hear back 🙂
Userlevel 7
Excellent.  Thank you for letting us know!
Userlevel 7
Please do let me know what the result is and how it does, I really would like to know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
Lately when opening some particular web pages, IE11 becomes unresponsive, and I can't click on any links. After a few seconds IE11 starts working again. Disabling the filtering Extension immediately correct the issue on all pc's (four)
 
A example  www.rtlnews.nl (a dutch online newssite)

Uninstalling en reinstalling Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 8.0.4.115 doesn't solve the problem

No other security product installed
 
Webroot Filtering Extension 1.0.0.40

I already opend  a support ticket.
 
To me it looks like Webroot Filtering Extension can't handle the many external links that are embedded.
Welcome DeHollander to the Community Forum!:D
 
Have you got the latest updates from Microsoft Updates installed?
 
And if you have opened a Support Ticket will you let us know if that helps because we all are Volunteers here helping others the best way we can. We do have alot of knowlegable Forum members here like Baldrick and TripleHelix!
 
So come on back and join us!!
 
Best Regards,
Userlevel 3
Sorry about the bad link. The correct one is www.rtlnieuws.nl
All pc's are up to date. Support ticket open. Nothing particular about the site. The problem happens on any site's with a lot of contents.
 
Userlevel 7
Hi DeHollander
 
No problem.  Thanks for correcting and reposting.  Have just tried the new link and I have to say that I was fairly zipping around the various pages under IE11 with the filtering extension enabled, so am not sure what the issue is.
 
It could be that the extension is not properly installed...although I find it starnage that this would be the case on all four PCs, so perhaps the next thing to try is to download a fresh copy of the installer, uninstall WSA, REBOOT, reinstall using the fresh installer copy (making sure that you do not import any previous settings if offerred), REBOOT again, and then see if that has improved things for that PC compared to the others.
 
Other than that please provide other examples of sites exhibiting the behaviour you have seen/are reporting, and I will check some of those out too.
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Some examples:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk
http://www.cnet.com/
www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Userlevel 7
Hi DeHollander
 
Thanks for those...I use bleepingcomputer extensively and have never suffered any slowdowns in browsing with IE11/WSA...am just checking out the Guardian website to see if I can spot it being any slower on IE11 than when browsed with Chrome or FF.
 
Regards, Baldrick

Reply