Show first post

75 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Will do. Thanks to you and everyone else for your time & trouble, Quick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Will do. Thanks to you and everyone else for your time & trouble, Quick
Quick, while we always try our best to provide quick help advice that we hope will help resolve problems, sometimes complicated issues do take quite a bit of time, a lot of questions, replies, etc etc etc.  But no matter how much time and how many replies, it is NEVER a trouble  :)

Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree with David 100% and you being a Prevx user snice 2008 I would like to see you happy with WSA. ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Well, my ISP came out and replaced all my equipment on Monday morning, and I've watched for several days to see if my pc performance would improve with WSA Filter Extension enabled. So far, the results have been exactly the same.
 After a new equipment install I also tried the same speed tests again, with the same exact results. I phoned tech support and this time they tell me my ping results are higher than most ISP's because of the distance between earth and the satellite orbitting earth, (Over 18k miles).
 So, I've disabled the filter extension again and my speed is slowly improving. It seems to be taking it longer than before though. I open task manager to see why things were taking so long, and WRSA.exe*32 is dominating my CPU usage. I have a dual processor on this pc and percantage getting used averages at around 50%. After the PC was powered on for 10 minutes or so, the usage went down considerably, to little to no usage, and my speeds are back to normal. It had been finished scanning for several minutes before the CPU usage went down.
 I'll contact customer support now and check into the whitelisting to see if they can help fix this. Will keep everyone updated.
 Thanks again, Quick
Userlevel 2
Is your pc hooked via Wifi or Ethernet? Many months ago I had horrible Wifi speed issues. Hooked my laptop to the Ethernet port and speeds were normal (24MB/sec). On Wifi they are only 10-15MB/sec. My ISP changed my gateway (AT&T). Seemed to correct it for a week then came back. Even with "no antivirus" installed it was slow. My ISP came out and the tech even saw the speeds on his iPad and iPhone. I also ran speed tests on my iPhone and it was slow. Wifi strength depends upon EMI or electromagnetic interference. The tech was on the phone for awhile and ended up replacing the gateway with another one which produced a higher frequency wifi signal. Problem gone on ALL my wifi devices. So here is what you need to do: 

1. Verify you can obtain the Internet speeds your ISP is providing to you via Ethernet
2. Compare the speeds on another laptop or smart phone. Speedtest.net has an app for smart phones.
3. Reboot your router and modem. Or if you have a gateway reboot that. 
4. How far away are you from the router?
5. If your speeds are normal when connected via Ethernet then its some interface in your wifi.
6. You can try different channels in your router to find the best one.
7. Use inSSIDer to find the best wifi signal that neighboring signals are not on. You want to pick an unpopulated channel. 

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Have you tried stopping WSA's protection and running a speed test? Have you tried running your browser with all add ons disabled? 
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
As I previsouly posted in this thread, I'm all hard wired, and don't even own a wireless router. Have 4 pc's on site at the moment, all are slow with WRSA filtering extention enabled. Have 2 satellites and 2 modems through same ISP, and speeds are great when WRSA is disabled. If I wanted to I could stream HD video all day with no problem, or any other task that requires a good reliable high speed. My pcs are used for busienss though, and business only, so I just need to function normally with my protection enabled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well, my ISP came out and replaced all my equipment on Monday morning, and I've watched for several days to see if my pc performance would improve with WSA Filter Extension enabled. So far, the results have been exactly the same.
 After a new equipment install I also tried the same speed tests again, with the same exact results. I phoned tech support and this time they tell me my ping results are higher than most ISP's because of the distance between earth and the satellite orbitting earth, (Over 18k miles).
 So, I've disabled the filter extension again and my speed is slowly improving. It seems to be taking it longer than before though. I open task manager to see why things were taking so long, and WRSA.exe*32 is dominating my CPU usage. I have a dual processor on this pc and percantage getting used averages at around 50%. After the PC was powered on for 10 minutes or so, the usage went down considerably, to little to no usage, and my speeds are back to normal. It had been finished scanning for several minutes before the CPU usage went down.
 I'll contact customer support now and check into the whitelisting to see if they can help fix this. Will keep everyone updated.
 Thanks again, Quick
Hi quick,

That's doesn't sound like WSA to do that with the CPU and yes I have seen IE messages that the Web Filter slows down IE I just set to 2 seconds and I know you contacted support and tried reinstalls but can you contact the support inbox so they can gather logs again and tell them about the Performance issues as a seen a few others have issues also and I'm sure Joe and team are working on it also we have a new Beta Build out v8.0.4.46 and there are many of us testing it right now but we have no change log with beta's but I do see the filtering extension is up to 1.0.0.22 I don't know the version of your Web Filtering Extension but hopefully it will help but again I suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket for they can get the logs from you and hopefully an answer. Please keep us updated as usual.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I contacted support this morning, sent them a copy of my scan logs, and explained the problem to them, so now I'm waiting on their response. I am not using IE at all right now, as it is very slow. My primary browser is FF 26.0 as it's the fastest browser I have at the moment.
Thanks, Quick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good did they ever send you there utility to gather more info about your system called wsalogs.exe?

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
HI Danial,
No, not to my knowledge, I don't recall ever getting that utility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok here it is and just download and run and follow the instructions and no need for the advance setting and allow it to upload and make sure you put the email address that you used to contact support after your done go back to the ticket and say TripleHelix at the Webroot Community gave me the wsalogs diagnostic tool and it has been uploaded!

http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe Note: This tool is for the support inbox only and in most times is supplied by them to find more detailed logs to look futher into an issue only please don't suggest to other members unless your an Expert Advisor or above thanks.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Will do . Many thanks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Should the tool still be running after all this time? It says it's gathering registry targeting information using PMode?

Another question you may also be able to answer, when I submit a support ticket is it normal to be taken back to an old ticket I submitted months ago.....wherein the problem was solved? If this isn't normal, then how do I submit a new ticket?
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi Quick!

I believe @  has stepped out for a short bit, but I can help you a little bit on this.

I do not think that log file should still be running, 4 hours is incredibly and unusually long.  I have not used that tool myself much, but the last time I ran it, it only took a few minutes.  If there is a way to cancel it, you might want to do that, but I am not at all sure on that and I would hate to do anything that would damage the ability to get those logs intact.  TH should be back a bit later and I have tagged him to get his attention to this.

As for the Trouble Ticket: that is entirely normal 🙂  Dont worry, Webroot Support will see it as a new ticket.  Our responses and replies are logged that way in our view as it simply gives us users an easy way to find the entire record of our Support communications in the event we need to look back on previous items.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks a million. I kinda thought the tool had hung up. Perhaps I should've ran it and not performed any other actions while it ran. I'l end the process then restart and try it that way. It was moving along really fast until it got to the registry, then it stopped. The progress bar shows it is almost 3/4 of the way finished, and it's been that way for hours. I'll end it now, and turn all browsers off so it has a chance to perform alone.
Thanks for your help David.
Userlevel 7
Sometimes the log tool can get frozen, if it does kill it using task manager or if your not comfortable doing that just reboot your PC and run the tool again. In regard to the support system is purposefully designed to be one big conversation. It really helps as sometimes we can see patterns emerging.

For instance if a customer comes in and we see that they are having HDD issues we can put a note in saying that the HDD is throwing up lots of errors and that we advised the customer to do a backup . So in 3 months time if the customer calls in saying that a virus has killed there HDD we can look at previous notes for help etc etc.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the clarification on that!  I knew it was intentional that WE see it all, but I did not realize that YOU did too  :)  It makes perfect sense. 

Tagged for future use when the same question comes up.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks. Yes, I ended the process with task manager then restarted the process. It has hung up again at the same point. Looking at task manager the tool is not doing anything again.
A severe storm is about to come through my area, and it's 70mph wind is taking power out in allot of areas across the state, so I'm gonna end the process again, then shut down all my pcs. Last time I tried to ride out a bad storm I lost every electronic in the house, and I cannot afford to go through that again right now. Will have to pick this up again a little later, after this weather passes.
Userlevel 7
Quick, I don't know just where you are at, but I have some nasty weather on the way here too: another hour or so and it should be arriving.  I guess a LOT of us in a lot of places are having that tonight.

Keep safe and we will see you later!
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Update:
I had to try the tool one more time before logging off. This time I selected "run as administrator" and it worked. Within 2 minutes it had completed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi David, I'm in North MS. Looks like I have about 30 minutes or so before the really strong wind hits my area, according to the radar.
Hope your area doesn't get hit too bad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Exellent lets hope they can see and issue also did you reply to your ticket and tell them wsalogs have been uploaded?

Thanks David & Roy for helping him while I was out Kudo's for the team work! :D

Cheers,

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi David, I'm in North MS. Looks like I have about 30 minutes or so before the really strong wind hits my area, according to the radar.
Hope your area doesn't get hit too bad.
I live near Toronto Ontario Canada and we got Freezing Rain and warning of possible Blackouts of ice build up on the hydro lines. Yuk.

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 7
South Central Kentucky here... expected to be strong, chance of severe, but not as high a chance as Quick's area.

TH, keeping you in thoughts too, hoping that power stays on!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thank you David it's raining right now but over night it's going to be below freezing it should be fine lot's of family around just might have to pile up at the house were the hydro still works. LOL

Daniel