Solved

Webroot Filtering Extension/Browser Add-On

• 10 December 2013
  • 75 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I am an old PrevX customer that was suddently changed over to WSA without any warning. I was not happy about that, but I decided to forget it, and give WSA a chance. A few weeks ago WSA installed a browser add-on without any warning, without notifying me, without asking me, and without explaining what the add-on is or what it does. I have paid numerous security companies over the years to protect my pcs, but I will say this about WSA, they sure have some balls. They do whatever they want without asking, and if you don't like it, they could not care less. Either you accept it, or go elsewhere. No apologies, no explanation, and no contact. I've never seen another company that handled business in this manner, and for years PrevX protected my pcs and never once did anything out of hte ordinary like this. PrevX never left me feeling like I didn't know what was going on with my own pcs security.

Now, onto the problem brought about by this new add-on. Every browser, and every PC in my possession slowed to a mere crawl, whether online, or simply using an installed program, it would take me as much as 10x longer to get a single task done because of how bad this add-on slowed my machines down. Upgrading from PrevX to WSA slowed my machines months ago, so I have already sacrificed much speed to run WSA on my 4 pcs, but this add-on was the nail in the coffin, and running my small online business has become next to impossible with WSA's filtering extension.
  I've been a loyal PrevX customer since 2008, and I've always been happy with PrevX, but I have HAD IT with WSA. I'm so sick of unninstalling, reinstalling, deactivating, enabling, and so on & so forth, just to do simple task on my pcs. It is not normal to need to unninstall programs like this constantly just to maintain a somewhat acceptable speed, and I will not continue paying webroot when I waste so much of my valuable time working around their product. PrevX & Webroot are NOT the same thing, and it's obvious that they never will be the same. I've given WSA a chance for months, and they blew it. When my subscription runs out next month, I will gladly move on to greener grass.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 23 December 2013, 21:11

View original

75 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Tech support has confirmed they have the logs, and they are looking into the issue. Will have to wait and see what they find. 

Made it through the storm with the power flashing off & back on a time or two, and there's a few broken limbs in the yard, but nothing serious. Hope everyone else came through it fine as well.

Thanks, Quick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good lets see if they can see something in the logs! A few trees are bent over as it's full of ice but not broken as far as I can see.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Had some mighty strong winds, and they managed to find or create a small leak in the back door: had some water dripping in from it.  Other than that, things seem OK here though there are a lot of reports of wind damage throughout the region.

Glad everyone is safe!
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Spoke with tech support today, and here is a copy of their response:

" I see that some of the Heuristics and setting on your Webroot SecureAnywhere are turned up too high. This will stop valid processes from running properly.

Can you please try resetting all settings back to default to see if this will allow the site.
To do this locally open Webroot, click on Advanced Settings, Reset to Defaults and then Save.
Finally scan your machine once before retesting the application/site.

The Webroot browser extension is there to vet search results for you andd help you identify dangerous sites before you click on them as you had mentioned."

I have followed all their instructions on 2 pcs, and hope to see an improvement in performance. In my reply I asked if the add on does any other important task other than vet search results. If it turns out that this add-on does not do anything else then I believe I'll just leave it disabled. It doesn't seem to work properly for me at all, as it may take as long as 5 minutes for the extension's color coded ratings to appear on the screen in search results. I have not enabled it again...yet. I think I'll just wait on support to confirm this add-on doesn't do anything else before I make a final decision.
 There are no [u] files in my scan logs from today. There was 1 from a program provided free from my ISP, zonealarm, but it was only active on my pc for about 10 minutes a year ago, then I removed it. Other than that, no unknowns that I can see.

Userlevel 7
Hi quick

Hope that you are well?  Have kept out of this thread up until now as you are in good hands already. :D

Just wanted to ask what version of the Filtering extension are you running?  Reason I ask is that I saw some similar behaviour a while back, i.e., "...as it may take as long as 5 minutes for the extension's color coded ratings to appear on the screen in search results" altough never as much as 5 mins but definitively far longer than one would expect.  However, under the latest beta (8.0.4.46) things seem much, much snappier.

If that is material then I believe that the beta will be official release shortly and it may pay to reserve judgement until then.  Just a thought to throw into the pot...so to speak.

Have a great day

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
why does anyone want the av version of this program when they could have the plus or complete version of this. (complete ftw)
Userlevel 7
Hi Zimuka

A good question...in my experience it is a mixture of (i) some people who do not like the IS concept, i.e., prefer to have separates, and usually from different suppliers, and build their 'perfect' security from components, (ii) others who are not as knowledgable, as some others, and think that virus are still the main form of malware and so if the version has 'AntiVirus' in the name it is the right version for them, or (iii) some who cannot afford the more expensive versions (and before you say that there are always deals, etc...we are informed and they most likely are not/do not have the time to look around, etc. for them).

But in the end there may be a number of other reasons that elude me...the fact is they do but hopefully, by coming to the Community Forum, they are in a friendly environment that will help them learn, and then they can upgrade...if they want. :D

Regards

Baldrick
"why does anyone want the av version of this program when they could have the plus or complete version of this. (complete ftw)"

I use the AV version because my online bank proivdes a free annual subscription. 

I was already quite satisfied with my long used firewall / HIPS and sandboxing apps.so there was no need to invest in a suite.
Userlevel 7
Hi blues

Thanks..."... my online bank proivdes a free annual subscription" is precisely one of the "...number of other reasons that elude me", as I stated above.  Another one to add to the list for the future. ;)

See you around...I hope?

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks, Baldrick. I check here regularly since registering but since I don't have as much experience with WSA as many others I tend to read more and post less. (Usually a good policy...LOL!)

I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf at Wilders shortly after I first installed the AV.
Userlevel 7
Hi blues

You are most welcome, and glad to see you over here too (hopefully between here and the Prevx page at Wilders you are covered as many of us, as you do, frequent both).

Your comment "... I don't have much experience with WSA as many others I tend to read more and post less. (Usually a good policy...LOL!)", did actually make me chuckle. :D 

For the future...don't hold back over here...questions and views are actively encouraged (as long as they are helpful/usful, which BTW is a comment not directed at you ;)).  We are all here to learn...it is just that some of us know a bit more than others...but there is still much to learn from everyone (or almost every member).

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
My filtering extension is version 1.0.0.21, and it's the only version I've ever had installed to my knowledge.
Userlevel 7
Hi quick

That is prettymuch up at the highest level.  The 4.46 beta is at 1.0.0.22, so perhaps a small wait for it to be released and then a review of whether it helps mitigate your issue, may be in order...if you can bear the wait?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
When I was switched over from PrevX to WRSA AV I wanted to add another PC to my business, so I needed to get another KC to do that. WR wouldn't allow me to add a single pc to my already existing KC. Over the phone with a WR staff I was told that ALL versions provided the same security, and that the different labels only represented how many pcs were protected under the plan. If memory serves, one plan was for 1-2 pcs, then you'd need the next plan to cover 3-5 pcs. Something like that. Once the rep found out how many pc's I needed to add he told me which plan I needed, WRSA AV.
I ended up adding a second pc to the KC I purchased that day, and I still have room to add another pc to this most recent KC, as I was told I had no choice but to pay for a subscription that would cover as many as 3pcs. Reading the webroot product page it seemed clear that the rep was correct, the other products were for people with more pcs than I had, and there was not even an indication that I could get a stronger security product by spending more dough.
So when you say, "complete" version, I'm lost. I thought I had the complete version. I sure as hell told WR that I wanted the strongest security they had to offer for my few pcs, and they assured me that's what I'd be getting, and that WR didn't come any stronger than AV for in home/home business.
I hope I was told right. My pcs have allot of financial transactions every day, and that was my whole reason for asking for the best WR had to offer.

Exactly what all have I been missing out on by only being subscribed to AV? What areas of my business would be more vulnerable by me only using WR AV to protect my pcs?
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I just looked at the WR product page and it's completely different than it was when I purchased my second KC. Each plan only told how many pcs it covered. I remember now, the first plan covered 1 pc, the second plan covered 3 pcs, and so on. I wanted to add as many as 2pcs, so wanted to ask if they had a plan for 2 pcs. They did not offer a plan for just 2pcs, so I'd have to pay for the 3pc plan, which I did. The webpages went right along with everything the rep told me too, as there was no other options for a greater plan that offered more security.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Update:
 Tech support replied to my last question regarind what the extension does, and here is their reply:

"The Webroot Filtering Extension is just for the search results and reputation.

It does not serve another purpose and you can disable it if you do not wish to use it"

With that said, I'm leaving mine turned off.
 As of now, my pc seems slow, but not nearly as slow as it was with the add-on enabled. I can live with it like this. I still believe WR software is the cause of me losing some of my speed, but I can live with that loss of speed so long as my pcs are protected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I'm sure they are still fine tuning the new 2014 Web Shield as It's still being rolled out slowly and we can see why they are even though I have no slow downs but every user will have different experiences and hopefuly you will be able to use it without slow downs soon!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hopefully so. I am still leaving it active on 2 other pcs, and I hope they do fine tune it so everyone can use it. I can see where it is a really important tool for those users who are in search results often. If I were searching often I'd probably leave it turned on, as I've seen the damage that can be done by clicking on a malicious link.

On a different note, my subscription renewal, for 2 of my 4 pcs, is coming due soon, and now I'm confused as to what plan I really need. Perhaps I should just pay for the complete version then move all pcs to one KC. Seems like I couldn't go wrong that way?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The rest of WSA's shields will still protect you and it's Anti-Malware capabilities, rollback feature and free clean up if ever infected you can't go wrong IMHO.

All the Best to you during the Holiday Season.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks! I like the sound of that.
All the best to you as well this Holiday Season.

Kind Regards, Quick
Userlevel 7
Hi quick

I have to admit that I vacillated between Internet Security Plus & Complete, but finally decided on Complete.  My vote, for what it is worth would be...go Complete.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks. I'm just glad you mentioned there being a difference, otherwise I'd never know my security was lacking.
It shall be "complete" soon.

Kind Regards, Quick
Userlevel 7
Hi quick

No problem...happy to help where I can.

And may I say...Good move...I am sure that you will not regret it. ;)

For a broad brush view of the differences in the 3 versions see this link (http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/compare).

Merry Xmas, and hope to see you around the Forums in the future.

Regards

Baldrick
Hi I am new to the forums and have noticed that others have had the same issue I am having. The Webroot Filter Extension continues to slow down my browsing. How do I delete just the extension?
Userlevel 7
Hi tazmantiny

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Personally I would never advise deleting the extension.  But if you really do not want to use it then you can just disbale it by going into the addons/extensions manager for each of the browsers that you use, and simply disabling the relevant extension.

If you do not know where to go in the browser(s) then please let us know which one(s) you use and one of us can provide the approrpiate instructions.

Regards, Baldrick