Solved

Webroot Filtering Extension Chrome

• 7 September 2015
  • 8 replies

As per other forum answers, I went to disable the Filtering Extension, which is slowing down my system tremendously. I am unable to disable on Chrome, I have this message - Installed by enterprise policy.

Firefox tells me this extenion is not verified for use, and disabled it automatically.

If Edge made any sense at all, I'd tell you if it was enabled or not. :/

Thanks for the help!
Angela
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 7 September 2015, 23:09

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Angela, welcome to the Community!

Removing the Web Filter in your case might not be possible.  The error you are recieving is what one would encounter when attempting to adjust settings of the Endpoint Edition of WSA, which is centrally managed.  I have a feeling that you recieved WSA from a 3rd party Webroot Partner.

In order that I can be sure of my answer to you, would you please let me know the following?

1) Where you obtained your copy of WSA

2) Exactly what version of WSA is installed.  You can locate this by:
  • Open WSA
  • Click the 'gear tool' next to My Account
On the left side, there are a few items listed as follows, please 'fill in the blanks' but do NOT include a key code.
  • Product
  • Status

Thanks!
Hi David, 
Thanks for your help. I have the renewal invoice if you need more info than below.

SOLD BY BILLING INFORMATION
Webroot Inc.
Date: July 23 2015, 06:14 AM

Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 1 Device 1 Year Renewal

Product is Antivirus and status is active.

Angela
Userlevel 7
Did you originally purchase directly from Webroot, or perhaps was it through a 3rd party service company that has provided computer or tech support services for you?

Userlevel 7
ALSO, can you take a look at this reply by ? and see if you are able to follow her suggestion?

If you are not able to follow Sherry's suggestion, or it does not work, please submit a Trouble Ticket.  I currently see at least one other post with the same problem, so there may be an issue that we need to bring to the attention of Webroot Support.
I believe it was a Geek Squad service or add on, but cannot say 100% since I didn't make the actual purchase myself. It was from Best Buy if that helps.
Angela
Userlevel 7
Please do go ahead and submit the Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will need to take a look at this, and look into why the Web Filter is behaving that way in Chrome.  As you can tell, there is something that is not working at all right in the message you see when you want to disable the Web Filter.

As a note, once whatever issue with the Chrome web filter is fixed, it is strongly advised that you re-enable it :)

From your renewal I can tell it was not the Geek Squad Subscription version they sold to you, as that would have been billed directly from Best Buy.  Best Buy DOES sell both the standard version and their own Subscription Software version.  The main thing I wanted to know is if it was a normal Home version (It is) or an Endpoint install that really IS 'enterprise controlled'.  You should not be seeing that message at all with the version that you have.

Thank you very much for the replies and information you gave me.. it was perfect.
Userlevel 7
There is a change that may have already gone out to SOME users, though possibly not all.  For those having the issue disabling the Web Filter Extensions (though we do NOT reccomend leaving them disabled: the Web Filter is an important part of your protection) please see THIS LINK for information.

Give this a try and see if it helps.
I have the issue on a clients machine and they have moved away from Webroot and no Webroot AV product is installed on their machine so I am not able to disable it from there. However, it is still showing as an extension in Chrome and I am unable to disable/remove it.