Solved

Webroot Identity Shield

Userlevel 5
  • Popular Voice
  • 141 replies
Need some advice. I noticed after closing out my web browser and back to my desk top, the identity shield lock is still showing on the taskbar icon, is is normal???? Once you close your browser  the lock should be off/or not???? Appreciate your insight on this:D
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 12 June 2013, 22:05

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi,

This could happen if your browser is still running in the background - can you tell me what one you are using and what version please? (e.g IE9, Chrome 26)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi,

This could happen if your browser is still running in the background - can you tell me what one you are using and what version please? (e.g IE9, Chrome 26)
On another recent thread, we discussed how horrible browsers are in terms of memory leaks.  I use Chrome, and I know that with even a single open window with only one tab there are always at least 2 Chrome processes that can be seen running when open processes are viewed.  I have seen that when I close the browser, while usually all the listed processes close, sometimes one of those hidden processes fails to close and keeps running in the background.  Could this be the cause or part thereof of Tony's issue?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
This is very possible especially since Chrome has a setting to continue running background apps when it's closed.

Userlevel 5
Currently Running IE10 version 10.0.9200.16618   update 10.0.6
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ok can you check your Task Manager to see if "iexplore.exe" is still running when you close out of the browser please?
Userlevel 7
@DavidP wrote:
I have seen that when I close the browser, while usually all the listed processes close, sometimes one of those hidden processes fails to close and keeps running in the background.  Could this be the cause or part thereof of Tony's issue?
That sometimes happens with Firefox. I agree with David, that problem with browser could well be cause. 
Userlevel 5
Browser was not running when I closed it out..............In fact this time the lock key was gone???  Strange for sure.

What is really interesting  when I would open the main GUI of Webroot than close it the lock would go away.??
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can't imagine it's much to worry about, Internet Explorer was probably still loaded in memory for some reason (finishing off a shutdown process for example). Best keep an eye out to see if it occurs again but you should be fine 🙂
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the advice appreciate it:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Browser was not running when I closed it out..............In fact this time the lock key was gone???  Strange for sure.

What is really interesting  when I would open the main GUI of Webroot than close it the lock would go away.??
If there are no browser processes still going, but the lock remains until the Webroot GUI is opened, there might be a small bug... but it would not be anything detrimental probably.  I am going to watch out for that happening on my system and report my findings on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I see that all the time and because the Browser's process or processes are still running and I use Task Manager to kill the process to which ever browser is misbehaving and most of the time it's Firefox.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Hi Daniel
    Point well taken.............In my case IE10 has misbehaving for sure. I will be keeping a eye on it and see if this goes away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Tony and also I use Process Explorer from Microsoft to keep a better eye on all processes it's much better than Task Manager! Or you can even use Control Active Processes within WSA to kill the Browsers processes.

Cheers,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 5
Thanks Daniel appreciate the tip.Will keep a eagle eye on the processes for sure.;)