Solved

Webroot Installation Screen "Please Enter Your Keycode" pops up every 30 seconds

Just as the title describes, the installation screen for Webroot pops up every 30 seconds onto my desktop.  It used to reopen everytime I closed it.  The amount of times this screens opens is making my computer unusable.  This feels like it is worse than having an actual virus.

*I am running windows 8, not windows 8.1
*Webroot has been uninstalled from the computer and is no longer found on the programs list.
*I have used their "upgrade" utility in trying to fix, no luck.  Ran it in safemode as well. No luck.
*No folders for webroot can be found on the computer
*all startup entries and processes related to webroot have been disabled or deleted.
*The goal is to REMOVE this program.
*I do not know my keycode.

Can anyone help??  Their support team sent me installation instructions for a MAC after I clearly pointed out I am using windows 8.

Someone, anyone, please help!!
icon

Best answer by myfeetsmellbad 2 May 2014, 01:21

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry for the difficulty you're having and for getting sent the wrong instructions doc.  You should be able to kick off an uninstall using the installer with this command: wsainstall.exe -uninstall

Are you still willing to work with support on getting the issue resolved, or at this point are you just wanting to remove the software and be done with it?
Hello Sir,

Yes support has emailed me back.  I am attempting to finish with them but I will keep this post active as long as I have the problem.

How would I access the installer to type in the command you had listed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello Sir,

Yes support has emailed me back.  I am attempting to finish with them but I will keep this post active as long as I have the problem.

How would I access the installer to type in the command you had listed?
Sounds good - I'll pm you a link to download the installer.
Userlevel 7
Apologies for butting in, Nic but there should be no need to download the installer.

If someone can't remove WSA because it's not listed in Programs & Features or All Programs then they can use the following from either the Commandline or Run Dialog: 

"C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  

making sure that it is run in an elevated Command Prompt/Run as Administrator!

Just wanted to precise these minor alterations to what you posted previously.  As the OP is getting the popups WSA is installed so the above run as described should be sufficient.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for jumping in Baldrick - I had assumed that directly would no longer be there after the uninstall, but you know more about the process than I do yet! 🙂
Thank you I will try this.  I haven't heard from support since I ran the log collecting program.
Userlevel 7
No problem Nic...it is all about TEAMWORK.  We are all here to help each other help each other...if you get my drift.;)

That uninstall command run, as directed in terms of Admin or Elevated rights, should do the trick (has for me on a number of occassions).  If not then it will definitively be a job for the Support Team...but I would definitively give it a go myfeetsmellbad.

Post back to let us know how you get on.

Regards

Baldrick
Using that command in the run box, The file location could not be found.

On my computer there are no folders under that directory.  I did not delete them, but they are not there.  I'm not sure if folders would be elsewhere.

Doing a search of the system it finds WRM folders in the program data, with temp folders.  This is all I seem to find that is somewhat connected to this program.

The problem still persists.  The initial install screen prompting me to enter my keycode keeps showing up.

I wouldn't mind trying a clean install then uninstall, but I do not know the keycode and do not have the means to find it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Did using the fresh download of the installer with the uninstall command work at all?
wsainstall.exe -uninstall
Or did that still prompt for a keycode?
How or where would I type in your command with the installer?  I can't do a full install since I do not have the keycode.  I tried typing in your command into the keycode entry area but that does not work.

I did use the windows run propmt (windows key + R) to type in the command line, but that is when I receive the other error message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you download the installer from the link, then it should show in your downloads folder.  Open up a command promt (windows+R and then cmd.exe) and then navigate to the download folder.  From there you can run the installer with the uninstaller command by typing the "wsainstall - uninstall" command.
Userlevel 7
Hi myfeetsmellbad

Nic may well be right that what you need is a reinstall followed by an uninstall.  If you do not have your original keycode and it seems that WSA has been uninstalled then perhaps you could try the installation of the Free Trail version that one can sign up for here re. the AV version, and if that works then undertake an uninstall using the command line command?

May be worth a try?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also I tried looking up your keycode using the email address you used to create your community profile, but didn't find anything.  Did you perhaps use a different email when you purchased WSA?  If so PM me that email and I can try and find your keycode for you.
From CMD prompt the program is still asking me for a keycode.
I am trying the free version install then uninstall.

To Nic, yes this is a different email address.  I no longer have access to any other information.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I am trying the free version install then uninstall.

To Nic, yes this is a different email address.  I no longer have access to any other information.
Do you remember what the other email address was?  I can still look that up if you know it and can PM it to me.  Going with the trial install might be easier though.
I just completed the trial install and uninstall.  Upon restarting my computer the install window popped up right away.

I am now trying the trial install again, then restarting, before I try to uninstall.
Userlevel 7
Hi myfeetsmellbad

I would try the previously provided command line command, after you have installed and rebooted.  As a refresh:

From the Commandline or Run Dialog: 

"C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  

making sure that it is run in an elevated Command Prompt/Run as Administrator!

Regards

Baldrick
I've tried the install and uninstall process a few more times, including with your commands provided.

When I reboot after I have installed, no screens, yay!

As soon as I uninstall then reboot, the screens reappear.  Once again, I have uninstalled by using the windows programs list uninstall AND by the Run window uninstall and cmd propmt directory uninstall.

I have used the same installation key from the trial for all installs.  I make sure I'm connected to the internet.

I have a feeling the installer is broken and stored in some temp folder that I do not know how to clean.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hm, that is a tough one.  You might want to call in for support and work interactively over the phone, rather than going back and forth by email.  Might be easier to get to the bottom of the problem that way.
One thing that I did not try after having a full install, I will try installing then using the "upgrade" tool to clean out the system.

I will try that then update you to my status.
Case closed:

The program that was executing was somehow stored in a new folder called "Program 1", after locating where the program was running from with task manager I deleted the folders associated with it.

No more windows. Yay!

Thank you Nic and Baldrick for your time and efforts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Woohoo, glad you fixed it!
Userlevel 7
Glad that you have it sorted myfeetsmellbad.

I am kicking myself because now you mention the Program1 folder I do vaguely recall a previous conversation online with a Support Tech who mentioned that in some case (can't remember which) the uninstall process renames the relavent WSA folder to that sort of name, etc.

Well, that is a timely reminder that my memory is going...LOL.

Have a good evening.

Regards

Baldrick