Solved

Webroot is not responding even to force quit on my iMAC (OS X Maverick)

• 16 March 2014
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
My version updater announced a new version of Webroot (8.0.6.105) was ready to install.  I installed it yesterday and proceeded to run Mail, Safari, and my OpenOffice software on my iMAC running Maverick as the OS version.  I then set my iMAC system to shutdown.  This morning, I noticed the unit did NOT shutdown.  It reported it could not close Mail.  I did some email stuff and used Safari before trying to shut down my computer for the day.  It reported it could not shutdown.  I opened "Force Quit" and saw that Webroot was "Not responding".  When I tired to Force Quit Webroot, it failed to close (whether using the Apple Menu or the Webroot icon in the dock to Force Quit).  Webroot continues to be tagged as "Not Responding".  However, it now will NOT let me use Mail, Safari, or Openoffice.  I am using another computer to access this site.  This is what I want to do:

1) I want to shut down Webroot Secure Anywhere and regain control of MY iMac.
2) Once I get control of my device, I want to uninstall this malware...

Can you help?
icon

Best answer by JeffHall 17 March 2014, 15:12

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm replying to my own note.  I called Tech Support this morning.  John was very helpful and got me out of my fix.  Here's what he had me do.  

1) Power down the Mac by holding the power button down until it turned off.  [I did not want to do this until I was guided to do so just incase I got locked out of the system completely.]

2) Boot the Mac into safe mode by powering on the Mac and holding down the "Shift" key until it starts booting into safe mode [I released the shift key when I saw the progress thermometer start showing progress.]

3) When in Safe mode John had me restart the MAC using the "restart" radio button.  This time letting the MAC boot normally.

4) Once rebooted, I could see that the system was responding again.  John had me use Safari to give him control access to my MAC.  He checked stuff out and then did a virius scan to be certain there was no malware / AV programs on my MAC.

John was not able to determine why the freeze up happened.  This was a new event per his information.  He suggested it might have occurred if Webroot was downloading updates when the system tried to shut down and that this locked the system. 

I am back up and running as a result of John's help.  Becasue I have to keep Webroot inorder to meet my bank's online conditions, I have left it installed.  :D
Hello Jeff,
Thanks so very much indeed for your post. I had the same problem, also with Mavericks OS! You saved me lots of wasted time trying to trouble shoot, call support etc). Your solution worked.....
Ive done as stated above, yet my computer will not shut off no matter how long I hold down the power button!! The most it does is go into sleep mode, which doesnt fix anything. Ive tried force closing the Webroot application and it will not close.

I am using the mac book air

Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Here Here:@ wrote:
Ive done as stated above, yet my computer will not shut off no matter how long I hold down the power button!! The most it does is go into sleep mode, which doesnt fix anything. Ive tried force closing the Webroot application and it will not close.

I am using the mac book air

Please help.
Welcome MidnightRun! To the WSA Forum!
Can you boot into safe mode? Or can you unistall and reinstall Webroot? I'll look up some information for you!

Better yet contact  Submit Trouble Ticket  please HERE
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The problem is that the reboot fails, and hard shutdown doesn't seem to be working.  Let me ask some folks here about it and see what we can try next.
Webroot won't respond at all

And what does it mean to "Boot into safe mode"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

From the steps above:
2) Boot the Mac into safe mode by powering on the Mac and holding down the "Shift" key until it starts booting into safe mode [I released the shift key when I saw the progress thermometer start showing progress.]

It basically means that the OS loads, but it doesn't load any of the extra programs that normally load at startup.  It is a bare bones boot-up for diagnostic purposes or to fix problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I talked to one of the support engineers here and they recommended that you submit a ticket here so they can help you troubleshoot this.  It will be easier and faster that way:

https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
I see. Just can't do that until I can cut this thing off 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

From the steps above:

It basically means that the OS loads, but it doesn't load any of the extra programs that normally load at startup.  It is a bare bones boot-up for diagnostic purposes or to fix problems.
I believe Tech Support told me to uninstall Webroot from safe mode but I'd advise a support ticket first. Really because you are not familiar with safe mode. EDIT Pull the Battery and wait then put back in and reboot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I see. Just can't do that until I can cut this thing off :/
Yeah, if you can't get it shut down then not much you can do on your own.  Support will be able to help with getting this resolved for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh and add the link to this discussion in your support ticket.  That way they'll already have the background on the issue and save you some time explaining it all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

From the steps above:

I believe Tech Support told me to uninstall Webroot from safe mode but I'd advise a support ticket first. Really because you are not familiar with safe mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't think the macbook air makes that very easy 🙂  You could just wait for the battery to run down though, but probably faster to work with support.
Done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
MidnightRun wrote: Done. Sounds Good MidnightRun..Please let us know what Support recommends or what they said so we can help others with this problem if it arises again.

GoodLuck and hope to see you back ..So Sorry for your issues!

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
MidnightRun wrote: Done. Sounds Good MidnightRun..Please let us know what Support recommends or what they said so we can help others with this problem if it arises again.   GoodLuck and hope to see you back ..So Sorry for your issues!

BIG EDIT @ 

Here's what I found for shutdown On a Mac without an eject key (like the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina Display), you can force your computer to shut down at any point by pushing Command + Control + Option + Power button. Before you resort to this, first try a force quit on a problem application by pushing Command + Option + Esc.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Done.
Hello MidnightRun, welcome to the community!

Sounds like you were able to solve your issue,  glad to hear.

Please come back often and share your experiences with us!

This is a great community and in addition to helpful members, we also have a terrific tech support team. Should you need any assistance with anything, you can contact them 24/7 by submitting a support ticket.

Come back often and share your experiences with us!

See you around in the community,

Beth