Solved

Webroot is Stealing my Alt-D in Chrome

• 3 January 2013
  • 13 replies

I use Chrome as my primary browswer, and I use "Alt-D" as my preferred keyboard shortcut for jumping to the address bar.

Of late I have been noticing that sporadically when I hit "Alt-D" chrome will temporarily select the address bar, but then skip out of there and leave me with focus on the "Customise and Control Google Chrome" icon - the three horizontal bars to the right of the address bar.

I have been tearing my hair out - it started happening on all three of my computers simultaneously - I only just realised it was webroot when I went looking for a problem that I was having with NumLock and TSRemoteApp (Application Presentation).

As soon as I disabled Identity Shield the problem was resolved.

I know that there are plenty of other shortcuts for the same task - Ctrl-L for instance, but when you have been doing something for years it becomes a habbit, I am having trouble training myself out of it!

Would be nice if this could be fixed.

For reference, I am running Chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 m and WebRoot SecureAnywhere Endpoint Protection v 8.0.2.96.

icon

Best answer by JimM 13 February 2013, 20:39

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello claytonlee and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

There is a current issue going on ATM please see Here and they suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket to get further help.

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello claytonlee, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
This behavior was reported regarding Opera as well. TripleHelix is correct that there is a workaround available through support. At this time, support needs to implement it, because it's a little on the complex side and involves a registry edit. We're seeing what we can do to simplify the solution as well.
Thanks for the update Jim.

I have also put two and two together and identified that Webroot is jumbling my URL typing when I remote into my office computer from home using Microsoft Remote Desktop.

I haven't seen anyone report that issue before - do you want me to log two separate support tickets?
Userlevel 7
You can put them in as one, and the same agent will work both. 

The RDP issue is probably going to be an Identity Shield issue of some sort.  This knowledgebase article might help you.
Thanks Jim.

It definitely IS Identity Shield - it clears up when I turn it off. But it is not behaviour identified in that KB - it isn't Num Lock or Copy/Paste related - it is just straight text entry - but through a remote desktop.

I have actually logged two tickets, but I haven't seen the confirmation for the second ticket come through.

I will keep an eye out for correspondence from the tech.

Clayton
Userlevel 7
The examples that article were written for are different, but the troubleshooting suggestions could still prove beneficial. There may be a related process in Protected Applications that could be adjusted as a short-term workaround. I believe the RDP executable file is MSTSC.EXE (at least on XP it was). Support will be able to take a closer look at your particular situation.
Userlevel 7
This issue is confirmed to be fixed in Opera.  Is Alt+D working ok for you now in Chrome as well?
No it is not. My current release is showing as 8.02.98.

Clayton
Userlevel 7
It's normal that the update hasn't reached everyone yet. We can't release to everyone at the same time or it would create a lot of unnecessary server stress. If the update hasn't made its way to your particular computer, you can speed up the process by uninstalling and reinstalling. Or you can wait, and it will come through on its own.
What version number should I expect to see?
Userlevel 7
That would be version 8.0.2.105.  Please click here if you would like to take a look at the release notes.  🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
What version number should I expect to see?
This one v8.0.2.105 please see here http://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-105/m-p/26264#M87

TH

Jim beat me to it. :S