Webroot offer from Ally Bank - download doesn't work

• 21 August 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
This is a trending issue that support is seeing.  If you are an Ally Bank customer and are having difficulty with the download please contact support.

8 replies

Hi
I downloaded the software yesterday thru Ally and it installed right and worked fine right away.
I have a question,
Can I dowload the software on my other pc, how many copies am I allowed  to use.
So far I like the program, it has not intefered with my Microsoft Defender.
Not a bad deal for free.
UPDATE
Defender is actually turned off when Webroot is installed.
Also it looks like Ally gives us the Antivirus version of Webroot that is only good for one machine.
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
UPDATE
Defender is actually turned off when Webroot is installed.
Also it looks like Ally gives us the Antivirus version of Webroot that is only good for one machine.
Hello mabecane,

Are you running Windows 8 on your machine?

If so the Windows defender being turned off is a feature that is within the operating system.

Windows automatically turns it off if there is another anti-virus detected on the machine.

Thanks,
John A.
Frontline Engineer
Webroot Support
Yes I have 8.1 on my laptop. I checked on the "Action Center" and it does list Webroot as the anti virus program. Window also had a message regarding Defender being out of date since it was turned off. I had the option to hide the warning, so everything is fine.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yes I have 8.1 on my laptop. I checked on the "Action Center" and it does list Webroot as the anti virus program. Window also had a message regarding Defender being out of date since it was turned off. I had the option to hide the warning, so everything is fine.
Thanks
If you really want to run Windows Defender with WSA you can but it is unnessary IMHO!

But if you do and understand that you need to make changes in the Registry so it's up to you and we don't take any responsibility if you do so!!

Windows Defender Tweak if users want to run with WSA on Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 detects other AVs in the Action Center and blocks Defender from becoming active.

You can create a value of type DWORD named HideActionCenter (under HKLMSoftwareWRData on 32bit or for 64bit HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData) set to '1' and reboot and it will prevent Webroot from adding into the Action Center to allow Defender to stay active.

Thanks,

Daniel 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters! Why Thank you TripleHelix very helpful information for us all! 🙂
Thanks Daniel
I won't tinker with the registry, Webroot is way better than Defender in my opinion. As it is Malwarebyte on my laptop usually detects stuff Defender does not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks Daniel
I won't tinker with the registry, Webroot is way better than Defender in my opinion. As it isMalwarebyte on my laptop usually detects stuff Defender does not.
Agreed all you really need is WSA with Windows Firewall and you are all set! There is really no need for MBAM as WSA has the Monitoring and Rollback Feature of Unknown files and processes and it's best to contact support and they will help remove any malware free of charge but if you use other removal tools well lets say it could do more harm than good and I'm not saying MBAM is bad but Webroot Support will clean it for you and for free with your paid subscription. And in most cases they just have to mark the files as bad then it will rollback to it's pre-infection state.

What Drives the Webroot Cloud: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

Thanks,

Daniel ;)