Webroot Password Manager for Chrome keeps Crashing

Just this morning the Webroot Password Manager for Chrome was working just fine; fast foward a few hours ago, I accidently close Chrome and when I open it up again, it says the extension crashed. I keep trying to reload it but it just keeps crashing. Please help.

18 replies

Userlevel 2
Same here.

It probably has to do with a Chrome update which broke the plugin.
It's the only plugin that stopped working though.

Please fix it A.S.A.P. This is a major incovenience for heavy users like myself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @ and @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum,

Sorry to hear of your issues and inconvience of Password Manager crashing, Would you please try the toolbar fix and see if that works for you.

Password Management Toolbar Fix Tool For PC:
http://download.webroot.com/toolbarfix.exe

Password Management Toolbar Fix Tool For Mac:

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/pkgosxlp.dmg

Let us know if this resolved your issue or not as we can give you more options.

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 2
@ Thanks for your reply.

I tried the repair option. It closed Chrome, but on restart the password manager still crashes.

Thje fact me and @ had the same problem simultaneously makes me think it's a Chrome update that caused the crash rather than a plugin corruption. Probably something the plugin was relying onto is now different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

This is possibly true as well. I'm not sure what can be done for the crashing.

I'll ping @ and see what he has to say about this. I'm not sure if a reinstall of Webroot would fix this or not.

Can you use another browser until we figure this out?

Otherwise my advice would then be to submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription so they can check this out?
Userlevel 7
Hello,

I am very sorry that you are experiencing this issue.

After a bit of research I do believe this is related to the Chrome Update.

I would advise creating a support ticket at https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp or giving our support team a call at 1-866-612-4227 and they can get this documented and see what needs to be done to fix it.

I do not think an uninstall and reinstall of Webroot would resolve this issue.

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you @  for the assistance! Much appreciated! I wasn't sure I could ping you or not?
Userlevel 2
Ticket opened. I'll update the thread with the outcome. Thanks for your help.
Were you ever able to get this fixed?  I'm having the same problem.  Here is the latest on my request for assistance from Support:   Your Message (May 24, 2015 16:33) Webroot Password Manager for Chrome keeps crashing I tried the two part fix but it still crashes. I uninstalled the Webroot toolbar successfully then ran the uninstall again to ensure everything was removed, which it was. I ran it again to install and the program said it was successful. I reopened chrome and it immediately crashed again. Webroot Support (May 24, 2015 4:18) RE:Webroot Password Manager for Chrome keeps crashing Hello, Thank you for contacting Webroot. In order to address the issue you are having with your Webroot SecureAnywhere Toolbar add-on, we would like to have you uninstall the toolbar and then reinstall it. To uninstall and reinstall the Webroot toolbar, follow the instructions below. **Part 1: Use a utility to uninstall the Webroot SecureAnywhere Toolbar** 1. Download and save the Webroot Toolbar utility to your Desktop using this link: http://download.webroot.com/toolbarfix.exe 2. Double-click the "toolbarfix.exe" file to launch the installer. 3. Select "Uninstall the Webroot Toolbar," and then click "Start." 4. Follow the prompts until the following message appears: "Process Completed. Click Finish to exit." 5. Click Finish. The toolbar should now be removed from Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. Keep in mind: you may need to restart your browser to see the change. ** Part 2: Use a utility to install the Webroot SecureAnywhere Toolbar ** 1. Navigate back to your Desktop. 2. Double-click the "toolbarfix.exe" file to launch the installer. 3. Select "Repair/Install the Webroot Toolbar," and then click "Start." 4. Follow the prompts until the following message appears: "Installation was successful. Please open your Internet Browser(s) and be sure to Enable/Allow the Webroot Toolbar if prompted." 5. Click "OK," then click "Finish." The toolbar should now be installed in Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. (These are the only browsers supported at this time.) Keep in mind: you may need to restart your browser to begin using the toolbar. The toolbar is represented by a small gray W icon next to your search bar. Click on the gray W to log in to the toolbar. Once you log into your account, the W icon will turn green. Please let us know if you require additional assistance. Thank you, The Webroot Support Team Your Message (May 24, 2015 1:16) Webroot Password Manager for Chrome keeps crashing Everytime I open my Chrome browser, I get a pop-up on the bottom right of the screen telling me that the "Webroot Password Manager has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension". I click on it, the pop-up goes away but then reappears. I researched the forum, "https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Webroot-Password-Manager-for-Chrome-keeps-Crashing/td-p/202233" to try and find a fix but the fix posted didn't work. Please help.
Userlevel 7
Hello @, @, @.

I was curious if any of you experiencing this issue have tried to uninstall and reinstall Chrome yet?

It appears that the issue is related to the Chrome update, but I have seen some instances of this resolved by a simple uninstall and reinstall of Chrome itself.

Would any of you be willing to give this a shot for me?
I believe it will resolve this issue for you.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best Regards,

Userlevel 2
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, but the problem persists: password manager extension still crashing.
Userlevel 7
@,

Did you reboot the computer after doing the uninstall and reinstall?

Could you try uninstalling Chrome, uninstalling Webroot, reinstalling Chrome, and then reinstalling Webroot for me?

Please let me know if you give this a shot and whether or not it works.

Thank you for the response.

Warm Regards,
This just started today for me.

I have uninstalled Chrome, then webroot, then rebooted, then reinstalled Chrome, then webroot and the password tool is still crashing. Anyone have any othr ideas?

Jina
Userlevel 7
Hello @,

At this point I would advise creating a support ticket so we can get this documented and they can find out what the cause is.

I would even note in the ticket that you have Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome as well as Webroot as that is likely the instructions you would receive from support.

You can create a support ticket here.

Please let me know if there is anything further that I can assist with.

Best Regards,

I was able to get Webroot Password Manager to stop crashing by going to "chrome://flags", Reset all to default then Reloaded Chrome.  It started working again.  I then went back in to "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi" and enabled NPAPI and it again started crashing all over again.  My theory is that when Chrome updated and created the banner on the top to tell everyone they will not be supporting Silverlight or other plugins, it caused WebRoot Password Manager to start crashing.  I've asked for WebRoot to try and find a fix for this now.
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
I was able to get Webroot Password Manager to stop crashing by going to "chrome://flags", Reset all to default then Reloaded Chrome.  It started working again.  I then went back in to "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi" and enabled NPAPI and it again started crashing all over again.  My theory is that when Chrome updated and created the banner on the top to tell everyone they will not be supporting Silverlight or other plugins, it caused WebRoot Password Manager to start crashing.  I've asked for WebRoot to try and find a fix for this now.
I can confirm it works after resetting everything to default.

Strangely enough, just disabling npapi didn't work, although apperently all other values were already the default ones.
Userlevel 4
After disabling did you click relaunch at the bottom of the browser?

I have tested this and it works with clicking on the "relaunch" button.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Nirouku
Badge +2
How about mobile phones with the same problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
How about mobile phones with the same problem
Hello @LarryFBXL5 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

This is a 3 year old issue so to get a better answer it's best to start a new thread in the Mobile area here for Android: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-mobile-security-for-android-15 and here for Apple iOS: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-mobile-for-ios-16 but if you are having issues I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket and they can look into your issue.

Thanks,