Webroot Password Manager Not Working

• 26 September 2018
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello,
I'm trying to use my Webroot Password Manager which has worked well before.
But now when I try to access it, I'm getting an error that says:

Login Attempt Failed
reason = ajaxerror

It seems like a problem on the serverside. 

Does anybody know if this is a current known issue or if Webroot knows about this? 
Is this only happening to me? 

Thank you. 

39 replies

Userlevel 2
You are not going to like it but received this reply 9/26/18 22:21...

ello, 

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA as to when this issue will be resolved. We've run into this issue in the past and it generally resolves itself after 24-48 hours, so we recommend checking everyday, but there appears to be a bigger issue going on with the connections in the background. We're working as quickly as possible to investigate the cause and we'll provide an update once we have more information. 

Regards, 
Webroot Global Escalation Team
Hi BillR,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

The Password Manager issue seems to be affecting different users in different ways.Webroot support is aware of the problem and is working towards a fix but would still like all users experiencing issues to please submit a support ticket so they can evaluate each case individually. ;)

Hope this info helps,
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to use my Webroot Password Manager which has worked well before.
But now when I try to access it, I'm getting an error that says:

Login Attempt Failed
reason = ajaxerror

It seems like a problem on the serverside. 

Does anybody know if this is a current known issue or if Webroot knows about this? 
Is this only happening to me? 

Thank you. 
You can wait for a reply from @ or you can Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you sort this out. May I ask what Browser is having the issue?

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
I've tried Chrome, Windows Edge and Opera with the same problem. 

Thanks,
Okay then it's best to contact support directly with the link I posted above, also Edge is not supported at this time! Webroot is having issues with the Password Manager in Firefox 62: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Webroot-s-own-Password-Manager/idi-p/329779
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Be adviced that if you use Webroot Plus or Complete they will override the LastPass installation.. That's why I use LastPass with Webroot Antivirus which does not include a password manager.

I've been running LastPass on all 3 of my computers (1 Mac and 2 Win 7) now for about 2 years with WSA Complete without a problem. If your running WSA complete and want to use LastPass, just disable WSA's Password Manager. Please Note: When downloading and installing a New Password Manager to your computer and you have other Password Managers installed already, Please disable the Password Managers already installed before downloading and installing a new. After installing you can pick what Password Manager you want to use.
Userlevel 1
I've tried Chrome, Windows Edge and Opera with the same problem. 

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
Happenening to me also.  Unable to access passwords since 9/21.

Login attempt failed.
Reason = ajaxerror. 

Don't hold your breathe for support after you complete a ticket.  Last contact with them was 9/24 and since then radio silence.  Passwords still not responding. 
@, please PM me your Webroot associated email and I'll talk with Support. 

Userlevel 1
Exactly,
The reason i didnt pick another password manager was because i trusted webroot anti virus program and so trusted the pass manager. I didnt know it was running on a third party app. Anyways, yeah they need to fix this asap cuz its been pretty damaging for my daily work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
When I first installed Webroot Complete years ago, there was no option to disable the Password Manager feature. I tried to make it work with my LastPass without success (install, re-install, repeat). That's when I reverted to Webroot Antivirus. I am glad to know that now you can disable the Password Manager in Webroot if desired.

In my opinion, I always thought that Webroot Complete should have detected my LastPass installation and not install the built-in PWM by default. That would have been a very elegant solution.

Again, I am pleased that now you have the option to disable it. Thanks!

@ wrote:
I have my FTC complaint in and i hope many others file as well         
Good for you (I haven't btw as I've never used Webroot PWM ;)). If possible, do keep us posted. Thanks!

(Latest reflections from the Community stalwarts on this issue to be found from here onwards)
I have contacted the call center 3 times and direct messaged twice.  Per on of the call center manager this is a 3rd party app so noone knows the progress to resolution.  I'm disappointed that a currently unresolved, 6 day outage of a pivotal component of the product has occurred, and technical support has gone dark.  I feel betrayed by the company at this point. If this is only affecting only a small group of users then I don't know why they have no workarounds setup after 6 days to get us access to even a hard copy of our password list.
Userlevel 1
Got to be kidding!???  It's like they don't understand the levity of the situation.  What's the point of a password vault you cannot get into?  Just happend to me last night although different: first doesn't recoginize my email.  Geek Squad resolves that and then it doesn't like my password.  BTW this are the very same email and password that I can use to get onto their site.  Anyways, gets better, way better; tier 2 guy gets password working so now I can log into...  NOTHING!  It's crazy!!  And now we are supposed to wait without even knowing how long it will take?  I called them just a bit ago and basically got the same - wait for an unknown amount of time...  It's not right when it comes to something this important.  Makes me question if I have placed both my money and confidence in the wrong product.  Their promptness will answer that question...
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Webroot uses a customized version of LastPass password manager.

I use the free version of LastPass and Webroot Antivirus. LastPass has worked flawlessly for several years now. I love it!

Be adviced that if you use Webroot Plus or Complete they will override the LastPass installation.. That's why I use LastPass with Webroot Antivirus which does not include a password manager.

Userlevel 2
Well it has now been since 9/24 that password manager has not worked.  It has been since early October since I have heard anything from Webroot support about the issue.  I have sent two messages since 10/18 and no response.  Does anyone know whether they have abandoned the password manager module or have en estimate of when it will be working again?  Or is it time for us all to officially give up hope it will ever work?  This has been the worst customer service experience have have had with an app or service provider and that includes the cable company!
Well, for what its worth; I understand the office has a great Ping-Pong table.
@ wrote:
well it is now the Holiday shopping season and once again, or is is still,  the genius engineers can't figure out how to make the password module work.
See this (and the following posts) and this to get a better angle on what is happening. Far from ideal, I admit, but it does help better understand what is going on.

EDIT: but I see that you have also visited and contributed to that thread.

@ wrote:
Really doubting how good the important things like the virus scans and malware modules are if the password module keeps failing like this.  Can't wait for the license to expire and move on. 
See this (written just 4 weeks ago).

In truth, there is a strange incongruity between the sheer excellence of Webroot's malware modules and the (imho) mediocrity of many of its bells and whistles, this perhaps being highlighted more than ever before by the current problems with its Password Manager.

Please don't confuse the one with the other (and if you have the patience—and I fully understand if you don't :(—wait and see what Webroot come up with their solution to this problem—see also this).
Userlevel 2
Happenening to me also.  Unable to access passwords since 9/21.

Login attempt failed.
Reason = ajaxerror. 

Don't hold your breathe for support after you complete a ticket.  Last contact with them was 9/24 and since then radio silence.  Passwords still not responding. 
Userlevel 1
It is wrong! Betrayed is the right word...  😕
Userlevel 1
Maybe they need to pay for support so we can get what we paid for and trusted them with...
This issue has happened to me as well.  Really frustrating.  I spent the day uninstalling - reinstalling - looking for solutions to this problem - i sent in tickets but no response!  

I can log into my webroot account but i keep getting this message for password manager
on my laptop, desktop and phone just spins and spins and spins in a endless circle when i try to log in to passwords in app.

login attempt failed.
reason=ajaxerror

someone please HELP!

Userlevel 1
Updated: Password Manager is now working fine for me again. 
I think the developers saw this post as well as my emails. 

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
thanks for the suggestion of Firefox ESR, i tried that and also tried downgrading to version FF 50, same result of  'an error occured while attempting to contact the server...' 
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am unable to find anyway to disable PWM ( I use WSA complete btw). Could ProTruck kindly give clues please!!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I am unable to find anyway to disable PWM ( I use WSA complete btw). Could ProTruck kindly give clues please!!
Look in the Browsers Extensions.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the belly laugh.