Webroot Personal Security Report pop up at boot up

Show first post

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you wptski for report.....greatly appreciate the information for others to see if needed!

The following is a C/P of Webroot Support's answer.

Hello,
The personalized security report should go away on its own. One thing that is highlighted in the conversation you linked to is that actually viewing the Personalized Security Report will make it go away for a month. Also, you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Webroot and then viewing the security report.
It is something that is expected to go away on its own, please let us know if it doesn't.

Webroot Technical Support
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

Thanks...but unfortunately they are not telling us anything that we did not already know.  So I think that the best thing that you can do is follow the advice but download the latest installer first (from here), then uninstall, REBOOT, clean install uisng the new version of the installer (making sure that you do not accept any offer it might give you to use or import previous settings), and once the installation process is finished REBOOT again...then see if the popup appears.  

If it does then review the Security Report and then reboot to see if you get a further prompt to view the Report even after you have already viewed it, etc.

And please post back the results for our information/consideration.

Many thanks in advance. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Yeah, you never know who answers your concern.  Clean install??  There is a Webroot Removal Tool and a procedure to follow using it as well, I wonder if this should be used?

I like the part that it just returns a month later!
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

A good question but the answer is 'No'...by clean install I mean the part about NOT import previous settings...that is all.  Sorry for the confusion.

For information the Removal tool only works for versions prior to 2011...so basically a definite no no in terms of the current version.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Using the Webroot Removal Tool will probably not accomplish anything: it is actually a removal AND upgrade tool amd can only be used in removing the 2011 and previous versions of Webroot-
Userlevel 4
Hmm, I'll delete the Removal Tool then, thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

Just try the suggested uninstall/reinstall process a see if that makes a difference.  If not then you may well have to submit a Support Ticket to get the Support Team to take a closer look at your particular circumstance.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
I didn't uninstall/reinstall yet as the popup didn't show up at boot up this morning.  It's a monthly pop up so it'll be back.  The latest posted WRSA version is what I'm on as a relatively new user.
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

So effectively, you are sorted...at least for the moment.  I think that it is now a case of waiting for the next Report to be announced and seeing how that behaves on your system.  Hopefully, correctly, but if not then you can always open that Support Ticket, if clicking on it and reading the report does not make it disappear subsequantly.

Thanks for keeping us posted.  Much appreciated.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Exactly!  IIRC, it came up twice and I clicked on it twice but that very well might be intentional.  No matter what it is, a device, software, etc., unless you talk to the person that designed it or wrote the software, you won't really know how it's supposed to work.
Userlevel 4
It's back!!

I clicked on it.  On a reboot, it returned.  I went to the Webroot panel, opened it from there, created a PIN, etc.  Powered down, back up and the popup returned as well.  I opened it up, signed in again, so we'll see what happens next time.
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

Sorry to hear about that.  Not really sure what to suggest given that I am assuming that you have tried everything suggested in the thread?  I believe that the Development Team are working on enhamcements in this area (based on the feedback via the Ideas Exchange) but no idea as to when they might be released.

Perhaps @ might be able to shed some light on this...without giving away too many state secrets? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
I have tried anything yet but looking back in this thread the last time I had this happen, it stopped on its own after two days.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
OK, keep us posted...I am detecting a theme, from what you are saying, which seems to suggest that 2 days is significant.  Am just wondering if currently there is some sort of default display time set to that...but that is only a guess on my part. :@
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
OK, keep us posted...I am detecting a theme, from what you are saying, which seems to suggest that 2 days is significant.  Am just wondering if currently there is some sort of default display time set to that...but that is only a guess on my part. :@
It disappeared on a reboot late yesterday and didn't return on my power up this morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It disappeared on a reboot late yesterday and didn't return on my power up this morning.
Hello wptski!
Thank you so much for letting us know! If you need anything else just feel free to holler and our Volunteers will gladly assist!:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to let everyone know that this is normal and it only last 2 to 4 days so it's not really an issue IMHO.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great Daniel! As you state here:

Just to let everyone know that this is normal and it only last 2 to 4 days so it's not really an issue IMHO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback! Nice to know! ;)

Salute'
Userlevel 1
@ 

With all due respect, this popup may be "normal", but I consider it to be intrusive.  If a user wants to see his security report, he should be able to do it manually, without popups reminding him.  Or, at least make the popup a user selectable option.
On my Windows 8.1 system, it is set up to boot to the Metro start screen, not the desktop.  But when the Webroot popup comes up after boot, it causes the system to switch to the desktop by itself, becasue it assumes that a desktop program has started to run.  I don't know if this popup was a marketing decision or what, but regardless of whether or not it is "normal", please allow us users the choice to remove it.
Userlevel 7
Hi RonnieJP

I cannot speak for Daniel...and whilst I do understand what you are saying I believe that the point is that at present that is how the functionality works...I have stated before that I believe that the Development are looking at set of changes based on a feature request in the Ideas Echange.  If you have not already then please review and if you support it then make a comment or better still give it a Kudo...to show the Team that yo are in favour.

Hopefully if enough support is garnered we will get the changes requested...and you are free to add any suggestions that you have re. the changes requested or let me know, as OP for it, and I will be please to amend the request.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the link Baldrick.  That really helped (at least it made me feel better!) and I indeed kudoed the feature request you posted.  I was surprised that there are only 20 kudos so I guess it doesn't bother most users.  It's possible that most users are not using Windows 8.1, or if they are, they're booting to the desktop rather than the Metro screen.  In any case, I hope TPTB take note of this annoying issue and make it more palatable.
Userlevel 1
@ wrote:
Thanks for the link Baldrick.  That really helped (at least it made me feel better!) and I indeed kudoed the feature request you posted.  I was surprised that there are only 20 kudos so I guess it doesn't bother most users.  It's possible that most users are not using Windows 8.1, or if they are, they're booting to the desktop rather than the Metro screen.  In any case, I hope TPTB take note of this annoying issue and make it more palatable.
Oh, you might also want to edit your feature request to mention the fact that the popup can cause Windows 8.1 to switch to desktop mode by itself, even if the user has it configured to boot to the Metro start screen.  Then it becomes more of a functionality problem rather than simply an annoyance and might be taken more seriously.  Just a suggestion.
Userlevel 7
No problem, Ronnie

Thanks for the support on the idea...as yo can see it is Under Consideration by the Development Team...so fingers crossed yours and the other feedback/support will have a positive influence on the deliberations re. whether to include or not in future versions.

In terms of number of Kudos...20 is relatively good...I think that the most kudoed idea currently has 29. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ 

With all due respect, this popup may be "normal", but I consider it to be intrusive.  If a user wants to see his security report, he should be able to do it manually, without popups reminding him.  Or, at least make the popup a user selectable option.
On my Windows 8.1 system, it is set up to boot to the Metro start screen, not the desktop.  But when the Webroot popup comes up after boot, it causes the system to switch to the desktop by itself, becasue it assumes that a desktop program has started to run.  I don't know if this popup was a marketing decision or what, but regardless of whether or not it is "normal", please allow us users the choice to remove it.
Like I said it's normal but some like yourself don't like it so it's best to follow what Baldrick said in the Ideas Exchange Kudo it and make a comment.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I went to my classic shell and ran the repair wizzard and that nasty pop up stoped