Solved

Webroot SecureAnywhere Still Running

• 30 June 2022
  • 6 replies

I am unable to get Webroot SecureAnywhere to stop running in Taskman and in services.msc. Access is denied when I choose Manual or Disable in services.

Let me back up a bit by saying I had installed the trial then uninstalled after a week or so. It still starts up (WRCoreService and WRSkyClient). I have tried the Webroot removal tool which ran and stated it was removed. I even tried installing a new trial using a different email address and trial code, then uninstalled that. Same issue. There is nothing in Startup to indicate Webroot should be starting with Windows. I am unable to delete the WRCore program data folder. Access is denied. 

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 30 June 2022, 21:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Element_115 

Webroot protects it’s processes so that’s why you can’t stop them.

Try this!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Go into Safe Mode and Delete these Folders if they are there!
  • C:\Program Files\Webroot Folder
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • Boot back into normal mode

Info in case you don’t know how to go into Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

TripleHelix is correct.

Webroot is designed to prevent forceful removal which is fantastic against threats and makes it one of the best security suites on the market. But that feature makes it a bit of what I call a Hydra. A lovable little Hydra. Cut off one head, it grows another. It makes it hard to uninstall and reinstall too when that situation arises.

Safe Mode removal should work for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

TripleHelix is correct.

Webroot is designed to prevent forceful removal which is fantastic against threats and makes it one of the best security suites on the market. But that feature makes it a bit of what I call a Hydra. A lovable little Hydra. Cut off one head, it grows another. It makes it hard to uninstall and reinstall too when that situation arises.

Safe Mode removal should work for you.

I actually use Revo Uninstaller Pro so it removes everything after a reboot. 😉

I tried the Revo Uninstaller Pro as well (forgot to mention this in my original message) but it still ran in Taskman. The Safe Mode removal worked for me. Thanks @TripleHelix 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I tried the Revo Uninstaller Pro as well (forgot to mention this in my original message) but it still ran in Taskman. The Safe Mode removal worked for me. Thanks @TripleHelix 

Great to hear and thanks for letting us know!

Userlevel 4

Revo Pro won’t work for Webroot Endpoint security. It probably does for Webroot Personal. I also use RUP.

Webroot protects itself against forceful 3rd party removals. So if you run a full scan after an attempt at removal, you will see Webroot has simply healed itself. (screenshot below shows repeated attempts to remove Webroot unsuccessfully using forced advanced removal with Revo Uninstaller Pro).

Amazing protection against attacks but can also be frustrating if you legitimately need it removed. I forgot to mention earlier, but make sure you’ve also deactivated your PC through the Webroot console if you haven’t yet:

Personal Accounts:
https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/accounts

Business Accounts:
https://my.webrootanywhere.com/default.asp