Webroot Sucks

• 16 October 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

It reminds me of Symantec Corporate V10 of 20 years ago. It doesn’t install right, it doesn’t uninstall right, it is about as effective as a screen door on a submarine and it has absolutely no support. Other then that it is a great little boat anchor. 

10 replies

Badge +5

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. Webroot is one of the best products out there that regularly participates in independent lab tests and does well. 

Badge +1

It reminds me of Symantec Corporate V10 of 20 years ago. It doesn’t install right, it doesn’t uninstall right, it is about as effective as a screen door on a submarine and it has absolutely no support. Other then that it is a great little boat anchor. 

I am going to have to agree with him. This is a POS software. As ADMIN I cannot even END TASK it. It jsut says - denied. I cannot delete it because as ADMIN I don’t have permission.

I tried changing the WRSA.exe properties security permissions and I am locked out of “special permissions” but I can look at them. Can you guess what is in the special permissions? Yep - DELETE.

I despise this garbage hackery of a program, but cannot delete it. I cant see the Remove Program option and the countless articles on how to shut this program down to delete it and enable the removal tools do not work.

The ONLY place this program shows up in a HD search is in Task Manager, and TM cannot shut it down AS F*KIN’ ADMIN is because “Its already running.”

Sorry to hear Webroot is not working for you. Incidentally, there are good reasons why you aren’t allowed to delete wrsa.exe in Explorer or end task in Task Manager, or change its security permissions, but I won’t go into that here.

If you wish to uninstall but are having problems doing so, do the following:

1. Go into Safe Mode
  2. Press the Windows key and the “R” key at the same time to open the “Run” command
  3. Type the following exactly: "C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" –uninstall
  4. Click “OK”

That should do it.

NB. Please ignore the WRUpgradeTool.exe tool. I have informed Webroot Admin on numerous occasions that the page regarding this tool is very misleading as it does not indicate that it only works for pre-2011 Webroot versions . Incredibly, there is still no warning about this on that page.

Badge +1

YES i agree a company that cannot provide a clean uninstall tool and remove it’s software is going the wrong way and besides that they don’t even bother to have their software tested by independent labs, i guess when you have bad leadership this is what happens, not sure why Webroot got sold but i’m very disappointed in their products and support and sales team.  

@Ziggy

In point of fact, Webroot has one of the cleanest uninstalls of all security solutions. Simply using the Windows native uninstall utility will, in the vast majority of cases, perform a lightning fast uninstall leaving you with no trace that Webroot had ever been on your system. Try, by comparison for example, uninstalling Norton/Symantec. I wish you the best with your journey down that rabbit-hole!!

However being a security software, because like all other security softwares it digs deep into the system, in some rare instances (as with other security solutions) Webroot can encounter problems with the normal Windows uninstall—usually due to unstable configurations. But the solution in those cases is so patently elementary (see my instructions above) that really no additional tool is necessary.

As for your latter comments:
PC Mag Readers' Choice Awards 2020: Antivirus & Security Suite
PC Mag Business Choice Awards 2020: Security Software

Userlevel 7

In point of fact, Webroot has one of the cleanest uninstalls of all security solutions. Simply using the Windows native uninstall utility will, in the vast majority of cases, perform a lightning fast uninstall leaving you with no trace that Webroot had ever been on your system.

I haven’t tried to look for traces of Webroot on Windows 10 yet after uninstalling WSA. But I will try that later when I have time. Hopefully I won’t find any traces. I know running my computers before the end of support for Windows 7 Webroot left traces on Windows 7 after uninstall. Now for a Mac computer running WSA and uninstalling it, look at the files left behind after the uninstall.

This was reported to Webroot a long time ago and they said they are working on getting this fixed.

I feel I should temper my above response, as I have seen that you are a Business customer (MSP, I think?).

I was responding from the point of view of a private consumer.

I am aware that there are a few issues on the business side that do not seem to be being resolved quickly. I am not as au fait with the business products as with the consumer product so it would be inappropriate for me to comment further. However, I have noticed that despite this Webroot appears to remain popular with business users, eg. PC Mag survey linked to in my above post, and is growing well in this sector.

Our posts crossed.

Thanks for that clarification, @ProTruckDriver :-)

Badge +2

I feel I should temper my above response, as I have seen that you are a Business customer (MSP, I think?).

I was responding from the point of view of a private consumer.

I am aware that there are a few issues on the business side that do not seem to be being resolved quickly. I am not as au fait with the business products as with the consumer product so it would be inappropriate for me to comment further. However, I have noticed that despite this Webroot appears to remain popular with business users, eg. PC Mag survey linked to in my above post, and is growing well in this sector.

Thanks for clarifying that. I am in the MSP side of things, and I can see why the OP is complaining. We have a new client and about half of the machines did not install webroot correctly (they don’t check in). When manually removing webroot from the affected machines and re-installing them, they finally appear. Unfortunately, doing this manually for each machine is a real pain for system admins who are already stretched very thin as it is these days. I really wish there was a tool we could leverage from the business side in order to address this problem in a more automated fashion.

I firmly agree with Ziggy. I had to clean a business system that had web-root, and could not since the system had been supposedly cleaned before I got the machine. I fought that system for 6 months, since neither I or tech support had access to the console (remember that they had uninstalled it) before I finally got a support person who knew what he was doing, and would respond. He finally walked me though it, and I got the old version of WR off the machine. Shame on me, because the support tech being good, got me thinking that maybe it was me, and I installed a private version of WB on my new machine. Now I cannot access the console again. Now it keeps rejecting the password, then the Password reset will not send me the link. What’s weird is that I used another email to get to the community, and it rejects the password every time, but at least it allows me to reset. My subscription account tells me when I get locked out, and nags me constantly to renew, but it will not send me the password reset link. I have been putting in support request and tickets since January 2020, and now it’s late June. I got one bot response telling me to use the password reset process, either that or they do not read the information, and then nothing. I keep also putting in tickets, but no response. If you can nag me with all of the sales and marketing, and tell me every time I get locked out for trying to get it to accept my password, then you can get me the freaking link. I finally got on the Community board with a different email, got a request to PM Keenan with my account’s email, but that was last Friday (6/19); nothing since, and nothing on the tickets from either email. The software keeps telling me that it’s doing a great job, but when you cannot even handle a password reset; it makes me concerned that it’s just waving at intrusions as they go by.