Solved

Webroot System Analyzer - low RAM & ReadyBoost!

Userlevel 7
Hi,

Webroot System Analyzer shows I have low and outdated RAM(1003MB) which is impacting my pc performance. I'm using ReadyBoost feature of Win7 with an old Flash Drive that I found going through some old packaging. 

As far I understood ReadyBoost, it should have compensated the low memory prob as long as the flash drive is connected. So what's the problem? What am I missing?

Best Wishes,
AmitWebr
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 15 June 2013, 05:04

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Amit!

I am not sure about this, but I would guess that Webroot is detecting the actual amount of RAM, and not the added 'virtual' RAM that the FlashDrive would add.  I don't think you have a problem, it is just how the software reads the physical hardware present.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Amit,

As far as I know a USB Drive is nowhere as fast as RAM so I assume it's not even looking at that but the actual RAM. Are you able to add more RAM to your system? And if I remember are you still using the Intel Atom system?

Daniel

EDIT: David beat me to it! ;)
Userlevel 7
@DavidP wrote:
Hi Amit!

I am not sure about this, but I would guess that Webroot is detecting the actual amount of RAM, and not the added 'virtual' RAM that the FlashDrive would add.  I don't think you have a problem, it is just how the software reads the physical hardware present.
Oh I see. Then I shouldn't worry right? Well System Analyzer also says I have low graphics card memory. What does that mean? I thought only RAM were pc's memory. How can I improve that is add more memory to the graphics card? As far as I know I can only change RAM of my pc. Nothing about chaning graphics card memory.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Amit,

As far as I know a USB Drive is nowhere as fast as RAM so I assume it's not even looking at that but the actual RAM. Are you able to add more RAM to your system? And if I remember are you still using the Intel Atom system?

Daniel

EDIT: David beat me to it! ;)
Yeah I guess it's looking into actual RAM. But I was hoping it could detect my ReadyBoost also and offer a total system performance report since ReadyBoost is claimed to increase performance. Also I thought ReadyBoost would act same as RAM as I'm allocating my flash drive space for system. Even if the boost is temporary that is as long as the drive is connected, that should act like RAM  and add to my existing RAM right?

Yes I can add more RAM to my system. I have 1GB right now. I can only make the total to 2GB. Yeah I'm still using Intel Atom. But I don't wanna get 2GB(only one slot allowed). It's DDR2 and costs double to that of DDR3. And the pc is old. Don't wanna spend on it. Found an unused old flash drive. Knew about ReadyBoost. Thought would give it a try. Found system performance improve by a little only when actual RAM it the maximum. Found out ReadyBoost needs CPU power to (un)compress the cache. And I got 1.6 GHz. So I endure the little improvement and sudden halts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You would have to get the same RAM as you have but a 2GB stick maybe look on ebay if you know what your RAM is? Like mine is DDR3 1333Mhz SODIMM

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
You would have to get the same RAM as you have but a 2GB stick maybe look on ebay if you know what your RAM is? Like mine is DDR3 1333Mhz SODIMM

Daniel

Well my pc is Aspire One (532h) and crucial.com says Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Slots: 1

eBay is not available in my place and shipping to my place with all the VATs and TAXs and fees would cost at least a quarter of the price. Do you think ReadyBoost would do fine on this pc?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sure it does help or they wouldn't added the feature to use it! ;)

Daniel ;)

@  Hey I have a stick of OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667Mhz SODIMM like this one but 2GB do you want it? I'm sure yours would take it SODIMM is from my older Laptop that had 2 1GB sticks and I replaced them with 2 2GB matched sticks and I have this leftover.
Userlevel 7
@  Replied to you in the pm.:)
Userlevel 5
Normally the only way to increase your video memory is by upgrading the video card (or by actually installing one if you have an onboard one). Unfortunately since this is a laptop you're basically stuck with it as most laptops don't come with expansion slots that will fit graphics cards.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hey jgouverneur - that is true advice for laptop users but I think you may have misread the post, the user is asking about RAM for the laptop, not GPU size :)

OP, Readyboost is another way of mapping your Pagefile to a USB - RAM can be 1000's of times faster than a USB for read / write access and it is sooooo cheap to upgrade. Your laptop / netbook has 1 slot so a single 4GB DDR2 SODIMM is all you need, probably cost you about $20 from Amazon 😉 I imagine you are using a 32-Bit version of Windows so only a maximum of 3.2GB is utilized but if your GPU takes some RAM for itself (common practice with onboard graphics), then all the better (e.g 3.2GB for Windows and your GPU might take 512MB leaving only ~250MB unused).
Userlevel 5
I was only commenting to this:

Oh I see. Then I shouldn't worry right? Well System Analyzer also says I have low graphics card memory. What does that mean? I thought only RAM were pc's memory. How can I improve that is add more memory to the graphics card? As far as I know I can only change RAM of my pc. Nothing about chaning graphics card memory.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Whoops, guess it was me who misread 😛 My apologies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also Amit's system only has one RAM slot and will only accept 1GB to 2GB so I have a 2GB one for him!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@EamonF and @ Thanks the explanations guys.:)