WebShield rating of websites discussing Malwarebytes

• 20 January 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Before installing Malwarebytes "Free" (vs Pro) a check for "malwarebytes free review" and "malwarebytes free removal" was being researched.

Almost every website (pcmag.com, malwarebytes.org, en.wikipedia.org, amazon.com, techrepublic.com, etc.) get a Webshield Score of 40 (These are suspicious sites.  There is a higher than average probability that the user will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.)

Can someone explain this?  I believe it to be an "error" or my lack of understanding.

Godspeed 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ExpertNovice,

Yes, this is most likely a bug with the new Webshield. It has happening to me also on every search I do. CNET, Facebook, Wikipedia, Amazon, PCMag, etc., are all also being rated as suspicious to me. Since the Web Shield is very new it still has some bugs to work out but the developing team here is one of the best if not the best so you can be sure they will get it fixed soon :D

Shran
Userlevel 7
Hi ExpertNovice - I'm getting the correct results using Google Chrome. Which browser are you using? 

Also, our development team has fixed a few bugs in our extension and you may need to perform an uninstall/reinstall of WSA. 

"Almost every website (pcmag.com (93), malwarebytes.org (99), en.wikipedia.org (98), amazon.com (93), techrepublic.com (98), etc.) get a Webshield Score of 40 (These are suspicious sites.  There is a higher than average probability that the user will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.)"

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
MikeR,

Those websites (pcmag.com, malwarebytes.org, en.wikipedia.org, amazon.com, techrepublic.com, etc.) normally get a high score.  When searching for "malwarebytes free review" and "malwarebytes free removal" they all received a score of 40.

Perhaps there are links on those pages that lead to malware.  Perhaps it was the search argument containing the word "malware".
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Commander,

I actually consider Cnet and Facebook to be dangerous!  Cnet only seems dangerous if the user downloads anything.

Facebook is inherently dangerous.  However, I am surprised it would have a low score since the danger is from using it rather than malware being instaled.  At least that is my assumption.

Thanks for responding.