Where can I read about how Webroot scans email (in and out)?

• 22 January 2015
  • 2 replies

I wowuld like to know, from a users perspective, how email is scanned and if a problem exists, notifies me and/or is taking evasive actions.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi priker

Welcome to the Community Forums.

WSA does not scan emails per se but rather intercepts any malware payloads or phishing attempts as they attempt to activate.

This is the way WSA works generally when dealing with malware...the philosophy is...if it is not active then it cannot cause a problem/do damage...hence WSA does not carry out lengthy scans of all files which are potential infection vectors but rather keeps and eye on such files that activate and then checks them out...and if malware is detected then it pounces to stop & disinfect.  If it cannot be determined if the file is good or bad then WSA goes into monitoring/journalliing mode restricitng what the file can do and logging all its activities so that if it then determined as bad WSA can block it and roll back whatever actions the file has performed on your system.

So, in terms of the email attachment...it arrives and if that is all that happens then WSA does nothing bbut the moment you click on it to open it WSA is watch and checking for malware...neat system, eh?

Please see this KB article which includes a demo of just what I have explained.

Hope that covers it but if not then ask away.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello!

Webroot does not scan emails itself, but if an attachment is downloaded Webroot will scan it. Also, if an email has a link to a phishing site and you click on it, the Webroot Filtering extension will block it if it is a known bad site.

So, while emaisl themselves are not scanned, any potential back action that could result form a bad email is taken care of.