Why do scans take a long when threats are detected,

Userlevel 3
When threats are detected, why do scans take so long?

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Can somebody help me out with this please? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Greetings, @!

This can be caused due to having a lot of temporary files stored on your system. You can follow the steps in this article to see if that resolves the problem. Remember to Reboot after clearing them out.

If that doesn't resolve it, please reach out to our Support Team directly so they can take a deeper dive.
Support Number: 1-866-612-4227 M-F 7am?6pm MT
Send a Support Ticket

I hope this helps you! :cathappy:
Userlevel 3
Is there a way by making the scans go faster?
Userlevel 7
I am afraid not...unless you go for a custom scan and reduce what WRSA is scanning...and that then defeats the object of a default scan as Webroot have designed it...to cover all the areas that need to be covered.

I would leave well alone, be patient & secure in the knowledge that Webroot know where to look and what to look for.

Of course, a scan time also relates to how much you have in the paces where WRSA scans so a full 1TB drive will take longer to scan than one that is 1/2 full. So have you taken a look and acted on what JP suggested via the web page that he linked in his latest post? If then try that and then srescan to see if that has helped. 

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Now I have to constantly keep on canceling scans because they take so long to finish.
Userlevel 3
I'm trying, but it's just so hard for me to be patient.
Userlevel 7
OK, so how long are the scan taking and how many of them are you doing? Unless you believe that you are under attack or have been attaacked there should be no need to do more than the schedule daily scan. The rest of the time you are protected by WRSA in real time.

Perhaps you are not aware of the Webroot design philosophy which is different to many of the other major AM/IS/AV app cmpanies? Essentially, that is that dormant or inactive malware is not a threat...because it is not active...so why waste time scanning for it. However, WRSA is optimised to spot malware before it can completely activate and kill it or quarantime it before it can do any harm. Hence more than once daily scans are relatively pointless, and the once daily scan is just to cover all the bases. The power of WRSA is in it's real time proetction.

Given the above you may want to bear this in mind and reduce the scanning that you do...it is not really necessary IMHO.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
As I said in my last post...who many times a day to you scan your system & how much data/files/Etc. do you have on your system drive?

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I'm doing the scheduled daily scan right now.
Userlevel 7
So how much data/how many files/Etc. do you have on your system drive?

And actually how long does the scan take? The last scan of my system took 5 minutes 14 seconds, with 70,613 files & 164 processed scanned. 

Personally, at this point I take up JP's other suggestion and Open a Support Ticket to let the Support Team take a deeper look as if there is a deep rooted issues they are the only ones who will be able to find it.

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I'm going to have to do that then.
Userlevel 7
Well, do let us know what they come back with on that. Plus, as I asked before, how long are you scan taking & what are the stats related to the scans in terms of files & processes scanned?

Knowing that would help ascertain whether there is an issue or what you are seeing is normal.

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I'm taking a long time to scan and do not know why.

Processes: 71

Files scanned: 15,600
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm taking a long time to scan and do not know why.

Processes: 71

Files scanned: 15,600
But HOW LONG actually is you 'long time'? I am still none the wiser as to whether it is 1, 10, 100 minutes, etc. Please let us know and then we can confirm as to whether it is indeed 'longer' than usual or not.

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
46 minutes.
Userlevel 3
I still have not received a response back yet from Webroot support about this.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I still have not received a response back yet from Webroot support about this.
Our Team has responded to your request as of this morning.

How old is the PC in question?
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the reply...that is very long indeed for a WRSA scan. I am suspecting that there is something wrong with your installation of WRSA or that you have a system issue that is conflicting with WRSA's ability to scan.

But now that the SUpport Team have responded I am sure that they will figure it out quickly.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Maybe it is a system issue, you're right.
Userlevel 3
I forget actually.