Solved

Why renew when new is cheaper?

Userlevel 1
I actually have a couple of questions.  I just use webroot for anti-virus protection and haven't used any other functions.  So, I am assuming that I can go with the best deal available at the time of renewal. In this case, I see an offer for $19.99 for a new license vs. the $29.99 renewal.  If there is any reason I am not correct, I would appreciate any advice.

Also, where do I find my renewal date. I searched my account settings and don't see anything and the email I got on renewal doesn't list it either.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 9 May 2017, 22:20

Hi hennesseystealth,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

The reason new is cheaper at the moment is that Webroot is running a special. There is no reason you cannot buy a "New" subscription, just that you will also get a new keycode, so it's best to wait until your current subscription is about to expire as the new license will replace the current one including any remaining days. Those running Webroot Internet Security Plus or Complete versions would need to contact support to transfer Password Manager/Backup&Sync info from one keycode to another, but since you don't want those versions then no need to do this.

As far as expiration date, you can get the exact date by logging into your Web Console and click on 'view" under the "Keycodes" heading.

Alternatively, you can also open the WSA interface and see the remaining days (requires a little math to figure exact expiry.)

Hope this info helps,

BD

View original

19 replies

Hi hennesseystealth,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

The reason new is cheaper at the moment is that Webroot is running a special. There is no reason you cannot buy a "New" subscription, just that you will also get a new keycode, so it's best to wait until your current subscription is about to expire as the new license will replace the current one including any remaining days. Those running Webroot Internet Security Plus or Complete versions would need to contact support to transfer Password Manager/Backup&Sync info from one keycode to another, but since you don't want those versions then no need to do this.

As far as expiration date, you can get the exact date by logging into your Web Console and click on 'view" under the "Keycodes" heading.

Alternatively, you can also open the WSA interface and see the remaining days (requires a little math to figure exact expiry.)

Hope this info helps,

BD

Userlevel 1
thanks
Userlevel 2
To me, the sad thing is that every customer up for renewal is going to conclude that WebRoot cares more about new customers than existing customers. IMHO the smart thing to do would be to:

A. Support current special pricing for all upgrades, too. (extend their renewal date)
B. Let all current customers know about this special pricing.

To me that's a win-win. Current customers get a deal rather than feeling stuck with a higher price... and WebRoot is likely to get many more renewals/upgrades than at the current renewal price which is higher than for new customers. Also there will be less work accommodating customers who feel they've been disadvantaged by renewing. Since I'm a new customer myself, I am not aware if any communication was sent.

BTW... one other thing WebRoot may gain is that the current scenario creates a signficant disadvantage to anyone who has let stand the automatic "auto renewal".  The "current special pricing" has been in place for more than a month because that's how long I've been looking around since I had decided to leave Kaspersky (because Kaspersky is slow, intrusive, and user hostile).
@ wrote:
thanks
You're welcome, hennesseystealth. Glad to help. ;)

Really, there's nothing stopping you, or anyone, from shopping around for the best price. Just be sure to purchase from a reputable source. We don't recommend ebay or third-party sellers, but Webroot is available from places like Best Buy, Walmart, Newegg, etc. If you keep an eye out you can find some pretty good deals. ;)

The problem then lies with having to wait until your current subscription expires since a new keycode means replacing, not renewing your subscription. But to me that's only a slight inconvenience, considering the savings.

As far as auto-renewal I will just say that there are some people out there (not me) who just don't want to worry at all about when their AV is going to expire. They just want it to be taken care of and are willing to pay extra for that peace-of-mind. But I do agree with StevenTheAmusing that there should be some sort of discount for repeat customers. Maybe not after one year, but maybe after two or three.

In my opinion Webroot is definitely worth the price, even the renewal price. I'm just, like many people, on a very tight budget and need to shop around.

Cheers,
BD
I am an exact customer with that same problem, as my existing license expires in less than 30 days. I am a managed IT professional, and maintaining the existing license is MUCH easier but not at the expense of paying more for the "peace of mind" mentioned before.

It is ridiculous Webroot does not offer something for existing users. While I realize their product is resold, the fact of the matter is WEBROOT'S SERVICE IS A PRODUCT and PRODUCT LOYALTY ONLY EXISTS WITH EXCELLENT SERVICE. Not offering the existing users something new users can get, and then requiring them to "go through extra steps" to do what they're already doing is horrible.
Userlevel 3
I rely on Best Buy for buying my replacement WR licenses.  Mine Lic. expire in Nov or Dec and Nov 16', I bought the Anti-Virus package for 4 computers over 2 year period at a fabulous reduced price.  I've always paid less at Best Buy. 

Sometimes manufacture direct is more costly as they prefer you to use their retailers.  They don't want to compete with their retailers, as would loose them.   Make sense?  
Userlevel 3
I posted a feature request relating to this last year (here) and it only got 3 votes :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@ wrote:
I posted a feature request relating to this last year (here) and it only got 3 votes :(
It's got four now! My modified suggestion is that Webroot provide a loyalty discount of 10% each year of auto-renewal up to a maximum of 50%.
Userlevel 7
Really don't think that will fly, Nemo, if you look at the marketing & economics behind the equation. ;)
Baldrick, is there any security benefit to getting a new keycode vs. renewing?  Much the same way as changing a password?  I was about to get a new keycode for the sake of cycling my numbers until BurnDaddy reminded me that I'd then have to open a ticket to have my password manager settings transferred.
Userlevel 7
Hi Krieger_bot

Honestly, there is no security-related benefit to renewing a subscription, i.e., no new keycode required, compared with purchasing a new subscription, i.e., receive & need to activate a new keycode.

The disadvantage of the latter ove the former is purely administrative & one of ease of use in the case of ISP & Complete version users, i.e., no need to request Support transfer of password data and/or Backup & Sync helf data from old to new keycode.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Just buy new on deal, get the key code and just hold on to it until your sub is about to expire - i did this via NewEgg back in December and have just "renewed" with it now.
Works fine.
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:

The disadvantage of the latter ove the former is purely administrative & one of ease of use in the case of ISP & Complete version users, i.e., no need to request Support transfer of password data and/or Backup & Sync helf data from old to new keycode.

Ah, and that's exactly why WebRoot should make their pricing reasonable... because in the end it's going to cost WebRoot MORE money when people realize that buying a new license and requesting moving the backup / password data manually is what they are getting as a net after inconveniencing their customers.

I just bought a "new" license for $30 FROM the WebRoot website instead of opting for a $50.00 renewal. I'm not using WebRoot backup (I have DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive and much more) or the WebRoot password manager (I have LastPass, thank you).

Also, because WebRoot overcharges for renewals, I refuse to allow "auto" renewal. WebRoot has put themselves in the position of me re-evaluating them every year to see if I want to continue doing the "avoid getting gouged" dance.

Userlevel 2
I should add the following points: 

1. @ should be sainted for cogent advice.
2. If the auto renewal price is clearly stated as $30 in perpetuity, I would AUTO renew and would not be upset if that means I end up paying a15% penalty over some ephemeral sale price. But I don't want to pay an additional 70% penalty for the same service. Who does that?

I would like to continue leasing that car. But I'm not comfortable with the price unless you make it 70% more expensive. ~ said NO ONE.

3. I *like* WebRoot as software. Works great. The only things I dislike about WebRoot - other than my distaste over renewal pricing - is the amount of spam email they send me.
@
Point by point:
1. Agreed.
2. Fair enough.
3a. Webroot has been a solid ever since I first discovered Spy Sweeper;
3b. Interesting...I don't get any spam from Webroot.

Krieger_bot

Userlevel 2
Regarding "webroot spam":

Above is what they've sent me in the last 2 months. Only the highlighted items aren't "Spam" by my definition since as best I can tell I never asked for any of it.

I've hit the unsubscribe button pretty much every time I get an email. No change in the volume... which as you can see is sometimes 4 or 5 emails per week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@ wrote:
Regarding "webroot spam":

Above is what they've sent me in the last 2 months. Only the highlighted items aren't "Spam" by my definition since as best I can tell I never asked for any of it.

I've hit the unsubscribe button pretty much every time I get an email. No change in the volume... which as you can see is sometimes 4 or 5 emails per week.
If you are selecting the "Unsubscribe" option, then you certainly should not still be receivng email of that same variety. Allow me to look more into this, and to do so, please direct message me with the email address that is receving these.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@
Point by point:
1. Agreed.
2. Fair enough.
3a. Webroot has been a solid ever since I first discovered Spy Sweeper;
3b. Interesting...I don't get any spam from Webroot.

Krieger_bot

Hi Krieger_bot, Hi StevenTheAmusing

Krieger_bot, have to agree with you re. 3a. & in relation to 3b...I hardly ever get a peep out of Webroot re. the renewal of my commercial licences for WRSA...so am not sure what the issue is there.

StevenTheAmusing...LOL...'sainted'? Hardly warranted (but thanks for the thought)...I might settle for 'cannonised' but I would not like to have to fulfill the usual requirements for that accolade...;)...I will settle for camaraderie & bonhomie...much safer & more rewarding. :D

Regards, Baldrick

As someone considering a purchase of Webroot while using the trial reading something like this is making me think twice. Maybe I'll try a different product. Seems like webroot is like a lot of companies, they want you to sign up for "auto-renewal" so you'll just forget about it. They'll make it seem like your paying extra for the convience to try and fool idiots. They count on you being an idiot and from the sounds of it they set auto-renewal as the default choice when you first purchase, so unless you seek out that setting and change it you'll be charged next time your license runs out. It's the oldest trick in the book, but I guess companies have to line their pockets somehow. I guess they don't count on you being smart enough to turn it off and go purchase a new license when yours runs out. Besides that would be too inconvient on "your" part, right?. Let them make it "easier" for you and "more convienent"......

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings